Year 11 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

MAAB1002

HSC
Hi, I have subject selection soon and I'm thinking of doing the following subjects and I also want to do medicine in Uni. Can you guys tell me if these subjects are too hard, or if u think I should do other subjects instead.

Math ext 1
Eng Adv
Chemistry
Physics
Business std
SOR 2

not really a fan of business studies, but kind of hate a lot of the other subjects

thx

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you’re aiming for medicine you should ideally be doing the harder higher scaling subjects as a high ATAR is necessary to get into medicine. I had a similar subject structure to that (everything aside from SOR) and it was manageable. Business studies is a fairly easy course as most stuff is quite straightforward but can be boring at times. If you're considering medicine maybe biology would be a good subject choice

MAAB1002

HSC
I was considering doing Biology as well but I've been told three sciences is hard, and my school is ranked in the 150s so they are really against it as well. I was also going to do Economics but was told that it has too much content so I didn't want to do that anymore, the only other option I have engineering studies but I don't think there are enough people in my school to do that. Thx for the help

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I have subject selection soon and I'm thinking of doing the following subjects and I also want to do medicine in Uni. Can you guys tell me if these subjects are too hard, or if u think I should do other subjects instead.

Math ext 1
Eng Adv
Chemistry
Physics
Business std
SOR 2

not really a fan of business studies, but kind of hate a lot of the other subjects

thx
Hey,

My advice for you is to go for whatever you want to do! Don't ever think of subjects as 'too hard', or unreachable. If you're passionate about your subject choice, then that's all that matters. I don't believe in classifying subjects as hard, because remember we're all different. A humanitarian-based student may naturally find chemistry more challenging due to formulas etc, whereas a science student may think legal studies is challenging due to heavy content etc, and then yet again, I've seen students have a combination of both subject types! It all depends on YOU.

I'm doing SOR II, and business studies, and I think they're pretty amazing subjects!

Not sure if your school does this, but my school allowed students to change subjects till around the first week of year 11, where we were allowed to enter various classes and check out the content (we went through the syllabus on our first day), so it gave students a rough idea of what they were getting into.

Also, try having a look at uni prerequisites for your goal courses.

All the best!

: )

1-99

HSC
N/A
I was considering doing Biology as well but I've been told three sciences is hard, and my school is ranked in the 150s so they are really against it as well. I was also going to do Economics but was told that it has too much content so I didn't want to do that anymore, the only other option I have engineering studies but I don't think there are enough people in my school to do that. Thx for the help
The feedback from last year was that the Bio exam was testing people on the strangest topics. It seemed like it was something that people couldn't really study for! Have a look at the 2020 Discussion Groups on FB about feedback on Biology, it was very hit or miss last year.

Plus Bio has a lot of content to study, school's weren't finishing the topics before the end of term – at least that's what I heard from my friends in other schools!

Etho_x

HSC
N/A

Math ext 1
Eng Adv
Chemistry
Physics
Business std
SOR 2

thx
Hello, not sure if this is too late. If you're worried about doing 3 sciences, I'd do Chem and Bio and ditch Physics, mostly considering Physics is not really that helpful for Medicine. Coming from me who has had a taste of 3 sciences this year, it is horrible. Of course you may be doing Physics because perhaps you like math. However, I'd say that whilst it is important to consider subjects which motivate you or which you find fun, it is also vital to take into consideration what you desire to pursue at university. In short, what subjects would ensure you have the correct prerequisites or would be helpful for your course at university which would also make your HSC studies easier? Because the last thing that you want to do is get through half the year of Year 11 or Year 12 and then realise, "Oh crap, I really don't like this subject". Doing 3 sciences may be a slight problem because from my experience I've found that sciences have taken away a lot of time I need for my more important courses such as English (because it's compulsory) and Math (because I want to do something with that at uni).
So if you have time, I'd think wisely about your options. But personally, if you're doing Medicine I don't see the reason for doing Physics unless there's something to do with physics in medicine.

dumNerd

HSC
Hello, not sure if this is too late. If you're worried about doing 3 sciences, I'd do Chem and Bio and ditch Physics, mostly considering Physics is not really that helpful for Medicine. Coming from me who has had a taste of 3 sciences this year, it is horrible. Of course you may be doing Physics because perhaps you like math. However, I'd say that whilst it is important to consider subjects which motivate you or which you find fun, it is also vital to take into consideration what you desire to pursue at university. In short, what subjects would ensure you have the correct prerequisites or would be helpful for your course at university which would also make your HSC studies easier? Because the last thing that you want to do is get through half the year of Year 11 or Year 12 and then realise, "Oh crap, I really don't like this subject". Doing 3 sciences may be a slight problem because from my experience I've found that sciences have taken away a lot of time I need for my more important courses such as English (because it's compulsory) and Math (because I want to do something with that at uni).
So if you have time, I'd think wisely about your options. But personally, if you're doing Medicine I don't see the reason for doing Physics unless there's something to do with physics in medicine.
First of all Bio isn't a prerequisite for any med unis. It's not even a thing in unis where it's better if you have it.... Just decide what subjects you want to do based on what you like and like jazz said, keep the scaling in mind but not to the point where it deters you from doing subjects you like

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
First of all Bio isn't a prerequisite for any med unis. It's not even a thing in unis where it's better if you have it.... Just decide what subjects you want to do based on what you like and like jazz said, keep the scaling in mind but not to the point where it deters you from doing subjects you like
I know Bio isn't a prerequisite for uni, nor did I indicate that specifically in what I was saying. I was saying that Bio will at least be helpful if you are planning to study Medicine in university.

c8

HSC
I know Bio isn't a prerequisite for uni, nor did I indicate that specifically in what I was saying. I was saying that Bio will at least be helpful if you are planning to study Medicine in university.
Yep this is very true. I know someone who said that bio was super helpful for years 1 and 2 of med

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
scholarpuppy said:
Hello!
I am YR10 in a top selective school, soon going to go through the YR11 subject selection process and willing to accept any advice at all. I am aiming to get a 98+ atar and I hope to study entrepreneurship/economics and design a double degree or medicine. Thank you.

I plan on taking:
- English Extension 1 (Love)
- Maths Extension 1 (Love)
- Chemistry (Love)
- Economics (Unsure)
- Textiles (planning to drop in YR12) (Unsure)

Economics/Textiles:
I am doing economics at the moment in commerce and I find it really hard to grasp the information, I'm scared if I pick it in yr11 and it turns out I don't enjoy it, I have to stick with it because, in some ways, I would not prefer to do textiles in year 12. Should I stick to my current selections or possibly change textiles into another subject or any other selections? Also, does economics get better? Because at the moment it seems very complicated and frankly not very fun. Also, I really don't enjoy 1/2 of my economic's teacher's teaching style. However, the main reason I am taking it is that I hope it is a good catalyst for hopefully my future job in business.

General:
If anyone has advice on these subjects it would help a tonne! Or any other subject you would highly recommend taking. Also, will these subject selections be too much of a heavy workload? (Or if any of them are really boring - because I don't learn well if they aren't fun.)

THANKS SO MUCH! XOXO :D:p
It's great that you're confident about most of your subjects.

Some of my friends who did Economics actually enjoyed it despite finding it a bit harder than Business Studies (which is a subject you should also consider if you're interested in commerce/economics at tertiary level).

I think that since you go to a top selective school, you will likely enjoy Economics at year 11 and HSC level. I also think it will be significantly different than year 10 commerce and content will matter more than teaching style.

username_2

HSC
scholarpuppy said:
Hello!
I am YR10 in a top selective school, soon going to go through the YR11 subject selection process and willing to accept any advice at all. I am aiming to get a 98+ atar and I hope to study entrepreneurship/economics and design a double degree or medicine. Thank you.

I plan on taking:
- English Extension 1 (Love)
- Maths Extension 1 (Love)
- Chemistry (Love)
- Economics (Unsure)
- Textiles (planning to drop in YR12) (Unsure)

Economics/Textiles:
I am doing economics at the moment in commerce and I find it really hard to grasp the information, I'm scared if I pick it in yr11 and it turns out I don't enjoy it, I have to stick with it because, in some ways, I would not prefer to do textiles in year 12. Should I stick to my current selections or possibly change textiles into another subject or any other selections? Also, does economics get better? Because at the moment it seems very complicated and frankly not very fun. Also, I really don't enjoy 1/2 of my economic's teacher's teaching style. However, the main reason I am taking it is that I hope it is a good catalyst for hopefully my future job in business.

General:
If anyone has advice on these subjects it would help a tonne! Or any other subject you would highly recommend taking. Also, will these subject selections be too much of a heavy workload? (Or if any of them are really boring - because I don't learn well if they aren't fun.)

THANKS SO MUCH! XOXO :D:p
It is nice that you like most of your subjects, especially chemistry but I would be wary. Chemistry is content-heavy and so is economics but I think you can definitely manage it as long as you schedule it properly. It also helps that you have a subject that you can break free with (the textiles) and even if you drop it, you have some more time on your hand which is all the better! Final remarks on your atar goal - don't worry so much about scaling and stuff like that - choose the subjects you like and do as best as you can - you will definitely get past the target by quite a bit. All the best :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)