Year 12 2012 Chit Chat Thread (14 Viewers)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I look at it like this. So you've got the double electrons which makes it EXTRA negatively charged. Therefore positive stuff is extra attracted to it.
So it's more reactive because the double electrons make it -vely charged and therefore more positive things are attracted to it in order for a reaction to occur?

deswa1

HSC
So in a double bond in ethylene, each Carbon atom contributes 2 valence electrons to fill the outer shell of each atom. Now the electrons are paired (this is just rote learnt) and they move around in orbitals around both atoms. At any point in time, the electrons could be near C1 atom, near C2 or randomly orbitting anywhere in between. But rather than just sharing 1 pair of electrons, they are sharing 2, so at any point in time, there is going to be more electrons located inbetween the carbon atoms than anywhere else in the molecule, and hence there is a higher electron density. This is naturally more reactive, because the electrons already have a higher electrostatic repulsion, it requires less energy to get them to break and react with other substances.
This is a good explanation. Mine is for specific forms of bonding. This is better than mine :)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
So in a double bond in ethylene, each Carbon atom contributes 2 valence electrons to fill the outer shell of each atom. Now the electrons are paired (this is just rote learnt) and they move around in orbitals around both atoms. At any point in time, the electrons could be near C1 atom, near C2 or randomly orbitting anywhere in between. But rather than just sharing 1 pair of electrons, they are sharing 2, so at any point in time, there is going to be more electrons located inbetween the carbon atoms than anywhere else in the molecule, and hence there is a higher electron density. This is naturally more reactive, because the electrons already have a higher electrostatic repulsion, it requires less energy to get them to break and react with other substances.
Ahh right, thanks heaps - I get it (sorta) now. Cheers.

deswa1

HSC
Guys watch this (start at like 40 secs if you want):

Did not know that slinkies did this- its SO cool.

HSC
so apparently I'm in the top 10 at school for 2 and 3 unit maths (based on this weighted index used for ranking people who want to do 4U)

Hopefully I can keep this up in year 12...

theind1996

HSC
N/A
so apparently I'm in the top 10 at school for 2 and 3 unit maths (based on this weighted index used for ranking people who want to do 4U)

Congrats iron ballz.

How was yr 12 day 1?

enoilgam

HSC

Yes, well done lor...I mean twink. Doing Team BoS proud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)