year 12 (1 Viewer)

fgzz

HSC
so i just started year 12, for my preliminary, mathe 3u i hv a 60, eng standrd 90, chem 65, physics 70,math advance 80, i also do engineering but am dropping and i have picked up 4u math,

for chem and physics, i plan on keeping, but i struggle studying for them, as in fully understand concepts and such, for 3u i did not put as much effort into it and as a result barely passed, how would i study more effectively for chem and physics and 4u and 3u maths.

for maths our tests are in week 9 and are going to be on induction, complex, vectors is there anything i should be aware of, leading up to the exam and/or study for, same goes for mod 5 of both chem and phys.

I want to know how to fix my routine to possibly acheive over a 90 atar

my routine is now tutoring 4:30-7;30, get home study 9;30-12;30 and repeat for most days
(this was not the routine in year 11)

any help much appreciated

fgzz

HSC
how would i better prepare for chem and physics y12?

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
yes, at the beggining of year 11 i wasnt like this but as the year went on i procrastinated more and more
I guess if you procrastinated and didn't put in a genuine effort, how would you know what you're truly capable of?

I believe that everyone has the potential to achieve nearly everything and anything they put their mind to.

Ultimately, you are the only person who knows what it is that you need to change. Like you said, you didn't put effort in, so imagine what you could have accomplished if you did!

It's not only a routine change that will get you to a 90 ATAR, there are several other factors that come into play.

In saying that, deep down, be honest with yourself, are you prepared to put in the effort to achieve the ATAR you want? Because it won't come without work being put in, sadly.

carrotsss

HSC
If you can manage consistent study throughout the year then you will achieve much better results with a lot less stress, the time adds up a lot over the year - and especially if you make sure you get close to 100% on all those small assessments which are easy to study for, you can pretty much guarantee yourself a good ranking and hence a good safety net.

In terms of study technique it’s ultimately a matter of finding what study methods work for you - the main universal thing I’d say for maths and sciences is to do as many trial/hsc paper questions as you can during the year and then do as many full papers before exams that you can. However, just doing the papers/questions alone isn’t really super effective, the most important things are 1) Don’t get in the habit of checking the answers whenever you get stuck 2) Whenever you make a mistake or can’t do something, you need to write down what the mistake was or some quick targeted notes if there’s some sort of gap in content knowledge.

Also 12:30 is a bit late to be studying (especially on school nights), sleep is really important for your brain and you shouldn’t sacrifice it for study.

fgzz

HSC
I guess if you procrastinated and didn't put in a genuine effort, how would you know what you're truly capable of?

I believe that everyone has the potential to achieve nearly everything and anything they put their mind to.

Ultimately, you are the only person who knows what it is that you need to change. Like you said, you didn't put effort in, so imagine what you could have accomplished if you did!

It's not only a routine change that will get you to a 90 ATAR, there are several other factors that come into play.

In saying that, deep down, be honest with yourself, are you prepared to put in the effort to achieve the ATAR you want? Because it won't come without work being put in, sadly.
to be honest if i did put in effort i feel like i would get around 65-75 3u
but for sciences i procrastinated because i struggled to understand and answer questions

is there any advice to help reach these goals like study techniques/tips, etc?

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
how would i better prepare for chem and physics y12?
I don't do Physics, so I can't comment on that.

I am not a Year 12 Chemistry student who will be sitting their HSC this year, but I am a student who achieved an overall mark of 99 in Year 11 and ranked first, so I guess I can have some sort of helpful input.

Chemistry is a subject I enjoy wholeheartedly, but not one that comes easily to me. My teacher always tells us to understand (BUT NOT MEMORISE!) the theory behind all concepts, then you'll understand why things are the way they are and how equations come into play and whatnot.

I agree with @carrotsss, doing as many past papers as you can helps with sciences, especially looking at the marking guidelines.

I think you need to find out why it is you're struggling to understand concepts. Chemistry is pretty big on application of knowledge.

fgzz

HSC
If you can manage consistent study throughout the year then you will achieve much better results with a lot less stress, the time adds up a lot over the year - and especially if you make sure you get close to 100% on all those small assessments which are easy to study for, you can pretty much guarantee yourself a good ranking and hence a good safety net.

In terms of study technique it’s ultimately a matter of finding what study methods work for you - the main universal thing I’d say for maths and sciences is to do as many trial/hsc paper questions as you can during the year and then do as many full papers before exams that you can. However, just doing the papers/questions alone isn’t really super effective, the most important things are 1) Don’t get in the habit of checking the answers whenever you get stuck 2) Whenever you make a mistake or can’t do something, you need to write down what the mistake was or some quick targeted notes if there’s some sort of gap in content knowledge.

Also 12:30 is a bit late to be studying (especially on school nights), sleep is really important for your brain and you shouldn’t sacrifice it for study.
alright thanks for the advice, will take into account for both carrots and asuteksu

as for my routine, i only tend to stay up relatively later and night because i feel as in im not putting enough effort as other people and in such sacrificing sleep in order to not fall behind

carrotsss

HSC
to be honest if i did put in effort i feel like i would get around 65-75 3u
but for sciences i procrastinated because i struggled to understand and answer questions

is there any advice to help reach these goals like study techniques/tips, etc?
For maths it’s mostly just practice, learning from your mistakes and especially for 4u, gaining the confidence to tackle harder questions (this comes with practice)

For sciences it’s important to ask what the cause of your struggle is - if you’re lacking the content knowledge, then you should try to go through and systemically ensure you have a good understanding of all the concepts of the questions, but if you know the content then the problem might be more with problem solving or confidence, which to be completely honest will mostly come with practice. Personally I struggled a bit with the sciences when I first self-learnt the content, but then after enough practice a sorta switch happened and everything just became way easier, it happens eventually for every topic you just have push through the tough phase

carrotsss

HSC
alright thanks for the advice, will take into account for both carrots and asuteksu

as for my routine, i only tend to stay up relatively later and night because i feel as in im not putting enough effort as other people and in such sacrificing sleep in order to not fall behind
Trust me, sacrificing sleep will not help you in the long run. If you’re really at the point where you don’t enough study time in the regular day then you’re probably already studying a more than plentiful number of hours, it’s just about improving the efficiency of study at that point.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
Trust me, sacrificing sleep will not help you in the long run. If you’re really at the point where you don’t enough study time in the regular day then you’re probably already studying a more than plentiful number of hours, it’s just about improving the efficiency of study at that point.
study smarter not harder 🤩 🤩 🤩 🤩 🤩 🤩 🔫 🤩 🤩

fgzz

HSC
alright thanks!!
that put my mind more at ease
but would my routine of
school 7:30-3
tutuoring 4:30-7:30
study 9:30-12:30
only on weekdays

should i cut down and sleep earlier and wake up earlier?
becasue i cut down on a lot of hobbies like gym and all that for year 12

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC

I used to sacrifice sleep in order to not fall behind, but it really doesn't help in the end. You end up being so deprived in sleep that you don't retain anything and you lack concentration.

fgzz

HSC
I used to sacrifice sleep in order to not fall behind, but it really doesn't help in the end. You end up being so deprived in sleep that you don't retain anything and you lack concentration.
true i tend to lose a lot of concentration and end up on my phone when it nears midnight

chardzard

HSC
alright thanks!!
that put my mind more at ease
but would my routine of
school 7:30-3
tutuoring 4:30-7:30
study 9:30-12:30
only on weekdays

should i cut down and sleep earlier and wake up earlier?
becasue i cut down on a lot of hobbies like gym and all that for year 12
my guy you need sleep you sleep at 1-2 every day sleep I can see your eyebags from here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)