Year Group Not Studying (1 Viewer)

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
Hey everyone, I know this sounds petty, and quite bitchy, but no one in my year is studying. The only subjects I'm comfortable with are English Advanced, Economics and Biology (because i've managed to come 1st overall in each of these so my year group wont really affect me). But in terms of my other subjects, Chemistry, Math advanced/extension 1, im close in with 2nd in each but i'm really concerned about how my cohort will affect me. I've tried to organise group study sessions and only a few people come, and now its just petered out to nothing, no one has motivation to study despite their poor trial marks (as they admitted, im not just saying that). I've been sharing heaps of resources, notes and trial papers too, but really to no avail. I really dont know what to do at this stage :(

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone, I know this sounds petty, and quite bitchy, but no one in my year is studying. The only subjects I'm comfortable with are English Advanced, Economics and Biology (because i've managed to come 1st overall in each of these so my year group wont really affect me). But in terms of my other subjects, Chemistry, Math advanced/extension 1, im close in with 2nd in each but i'm really concerned about how my cohort will affect me. I've tried to organise group study sessions and only a few people come, and now its just petered out to nothing, no one has motivation to study despite their poor trial marks (as they admitted, im not just saying that). I've been sharing heaps of resources, notes and trial papers too, but really to no avail. I really dont know what to do at this stage :(
Don’t listen to anyone in your year group, they say their aren’t studying but they are without you noticing.

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
Don’t listen to anyone in your year group, they say their aren’t studying but they are without you noticing.
That would be the case, but when the average mark in all of these subjects for trials is about 35% raw (for very dumbed down easy, online assessments), then i dont think your theory applies unfortunately.

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
Holy shit, 35%!??
yikes man
Yeh lol, its that average for most of the kids, and then theres me and 2 other girls who are all getting ≈95% in these subs (we all do these together). Only concerning thing is, my school scales everything retardedly, so despite everyone else getting 35% raw, they get a "scaled" mark of like 85, whilst we are on 98-99. I also assume that this is how my school will submit marks to nesa which is why im quite concerned for the subjects im 2nd in. My school is ranked well into the 100s, and dux has usually been around ATAR of 96.

Last edited:

tito981

HSC
It shouldn't matter if people closer to average do bad, all that matters for you since your top or near top in every subject is that people who are within 1 or 2 ranks from you study and do well. btw the average mark has no effect on your mark at all, it normally only messes with people who are close or below average.

tito981

HSC
It shouldn't matter if people closer to average do bad, all that matters for you since your top or near top in every subject is that people who are within 1 or 2 ranks from you study and do well. btw the average mark has no effect on your mark at all, it normally only messes with people who are close or below average.
also you can't help people who dont want to be helped, so its better to focus on your own performance.

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
Hm, although the distribution of marks would have an effect no? If the average sent in is like 80 (my friends and my own mark is about 18-19 more), but externally the average becomes 60 (when in reality, in terms of raw marks, our differences would be more like 50 seeing how trials went), then itll stitch everyone up who isnt 1st. Nesa say themselves that the moderation process doesn't use standard deviation, so i assume it'll just be a sort of linear process to shift around right?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Holy shit, 35%!??
yikes man
Yeh lol, its that average for most of the kids, and then theres me and 2 other girls who are all getting ≈95% in these subs (we all do these together). Only concerning thing is, my school scales everything retardedly, so despite everyone else getting 35% raw, they get a "scaled" mark of like 85, whilst we are on 98-99. I also assume that this is how my school will submit marks to nesa which is why im quite concerned for the subjects im 2nd in. My school is ranked well into the 100s, and dux has usually been around ATAR of 96.
I can relate to the people scoring low, after they got Early Entry offers (crazy good ones like double actuarial and such) they just don't care anymore.

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
I can relate to the people scoring low, after they got Early Entry offers (crazy good ones like double actuarial and such) they just don't care anymore.
I get that, but our trials were done before most early entry offers were given out (except anu which happened mid way through our trials). Its frustrating and just feels schite, i dont wanna suffer because of other people slacking :(

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Lol you shouldn't worry. Group sessions don't really benefit you anyways if you're coming top, its more of you being generous to the rest of the cohort and trying to help them get into a good study routine. If you do like helping people, make sure the person your helping is asking for it or is grateful - the last thing you want to do is help someone too stuck up about themselves. I've found it more better to contribute on the forum anyways, the anonymity is a nice bonus and you won't be scrutinized or judged.

I don't think it really matters about cohort if you're 1st or near 1st, not sure the whole process but I'm pretty sure, and please correct me, that if you're ranked first internally, everyone else's marks will be scaled accordingly so your mark wouldn't be as affected.

You can't change other people but you can change yourself so the best thing as of now is to just focus on yourself and ensure you top everything. People might prefer just studying alone so you can't really judge them.

tito981

HSC
Hm, although the distribution of marks would have an effect no? If the average sent in is like 80 (my friends and my own mark is about 18-19 more), but externally the average becomes 60 (when in reality, in terms of raw marks, our differences would be more like 50 seeing how trials went), then itll stitch everyone up who isnt 1st. Nesa say themselves that the moderation process doesn't use standard deviation, so i assume it'll just be a sort of linear process to shift around right?
oh no i didnt mean that average marks would be affected via the acutal average, i meant to say as a consequence of people near or below average doing poorly, it would disproportionately hinder average students (due to how internal marks are allocated via rank) compared to top students like OP.

stressedadfff

HSC
whats your school rank, are there usually band sixes for your subjects?

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
whats your school rank, are there usually band sixes for your subjects?
usualy in the 2-300's. Sounds shit, and thats because it is. Although i would say the 3 students at the top are significant outliers in terms of our previous years, we're all trying to get into med so, anything below 99 wouldnt cut it. I guess as a baseline, although it doesnt coorelate, we all got ≈92%ile in the ucat.
In terms of b6's, the school usually gets 2-3 in eng adv, 2-3 in economics, 1-2 in biology, 1-2 in chemistry, 3-4 in math adv and 0-1 in math ext.

idkkdi

HSC
usualy in the 2-300's. Sounds shit, and thats because it is. Although i would say the 3 students at the top are significant outliers in terms of our previous years, we're all trying to get into med so, anything below 99 wouldnt cut it. I guess as a baseline, although it doesnt coorelate, we all got ≈92%ile in the ucat.
In terms of b6's, the school usually gets 2-3 in eng adv, 2-3 in economics, 1-2 in biology, 1-2 in chemistry, 3-4 in math adv and 0-1 in math ext.
it's a bit rough. but, make sure the kid ranked ahead of u doesnt underperform and if u pop off then doable.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
So consensus is that theres no point urging the other lower kids to pick up a book and instead just get myself and the other 2 to grind away?
Help them whenever they ask for it but don't be behind them, assuming your in some sort of public school, most students don't really care to this extent about the HSC and just looking to get into a job after the HSC or just pursue uni for parents sake (not to say everyone in public schools are like that, there's definitely hard workers). They'll work to the minimum and only that. It's just futile trying to elevate their goals instead of working on yourself.

For me at least, I have a circle of friends who are like minded so I compete with them constantly so in that way we don't slack off. If you have that circle it might alleviate the issues you might find with a bad cohort.

MyHeadee

HSC
Just keep up the study man and youll be fine. If you're rural (assuming your school is rural since 2/300 ranked) then, 92%ile and anything above even a 98.5 ATAR is a guaranteed entry for med in pretty much every uni, except for the non-ucat universities obviously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)