Year Group Not Studying (1 Viewer)

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
Just keep up the study man and youll be fine. If you're rural (assuming your school is rural since 2/300 ranked) then, 92%ile and anything above even a 98.5 ATAR is a guaranteed entry for med in pretty much every uni, except for the non-ucat universities obviously.
I am rural, so thats a relief. Thanks everyone for the feedback ! :)

nourished.

HSC
Hey everyone, I know this sounds petty, and quite bitchy, but no one in my year is studying. The only subjects I'm comfortable with are English Advanced, Economics and Biology (because i've managed to come 1st overall in each of these so my year group wont really affect me). But in terms of my other subjects, Chemistry, Math advanced/extension 1, im close in with 2nd in each but i'm really concerned about how my cohort will affect me. I've tried to organise group study sessions and only a few people come, and now its just petered out to nothing, no one has motivation to study despite their poor trial marks (as they admitted, im not just saying that). I've been sharing heaps of resources, notes and trial papers too, but really to no avail. I really dont know what to do at this stage :(
Hey, that's not bitchy nor petty. Being frustrated that no one is trying, and that this will affect your own performance is so normal. For now, you've just got to accept that it is what it is.

Putting that aside, whilst the HSC rewards cohorts that do well together, it isn't so rigged that it makes individual performance meaningless. That's why sometimes you'll see state ranks come from schools you'd least expect them to come from. Since I like explaining things with analogies lmao, you're not a boat tied to an anchor. You just have some slight wind pushing against you.

Either way, try your best. None of your peers are going to try their best for you, so you have to try your best for yourself.

5uckerberg

HSC
Have a think about this you are doing maths advanced, the last chapter focuses on what is happening at your school. Think about this If the average is bad then apply the Gaussian curve the average will be closer to their mark than yours and because you are like 2 to 3 standard deviations ahead from the mean you are clearly going to be seen as an outlier. In this case, being an outlier is good because your marks are not affected by anyone else.

VeryBoredOfStudies

HSC
Have a think about this you are doing maths advanced, the last chapter focuses on what is happening at your school. Think about this If the average is bad then apply the Gaussian curve the average will be closer to their mark than yours and because you are like 2 to 3 standard deviations ahead from the mean you are clearly going to be seen as an outlier. In this case, being an outlier is good because your marks are not affected by anyone else.
Nah, nesa says this:
"If a school submits assessment marks with two (or more) students ranked first (tied on the top assessment mark), then the top moderated assessment mark will equal the average (mean) of the two (or more) highest exam marks for the school group. This also applies if students tie on the bottom assessment mark. The standard deviation is not used to moderate school assessment marks."
So i assume its pretty linear shifting of marks for 2nd till 2nd last place.

DheerChoudhury

HSC
Hey everyone, I know this sounds petty, and quite bitchy, but no one in my year is studying. The only subjects I'm comfortable with are English Advanced, Economics and Biology (because i've managed to come 1st overall in each of these so my year group wont really affect me). But in terms of my other subjects, Chemistry, Math advanced/extension 1, im close in with 2nd in each but i'm really concerned about how my cohort will affect me. I've tried to organise group study sessions and only a few people come, and now its just petered out to nothing, no one has motivation to study despite their poor trial marks (as they admitted, im not just saying that). I've been sharing heaps of resources, notes and trial papers too, but really to no avail. I really dont know what to do at this stage :(
Damn bruh. I'm in the same sinking boat :confused:

Last edited:

ahri

HSC
If you're 2nd then you won't be significantly disadvantaged as long as the person who is first does well. I would prioritise forming a study group with the top 3 or 5 in those subjects to make sure you all smash externals.

Suz D

HSC
Same problem here. Sometimes I want to just slap my lazy classmates into tomorrow but unfortunately I can't. The only thing I would say is to focus on you and your studies. Trust me when I say this, but the system is dumb. So many people say that once they graduated, the HSC and ATAR were completely forgotten and it didn't really matter.

What is important for you is to just try your best. You will regret it if you don't. Focus on you- that includes taking care of yourself and giving yourself time to relax and be you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)