Year Weightings??? (1 Viewer)

da_bomb2004

How much is 1st year worth in relation to WAM, compared with 2-4th years, For Civil Eng.

gman03

HSC
The first digit of the course code is the weighting... usually have a weighting of one.

elfm

HSC
wow there's so many civil engineering students on this board. where's the rest of this uni gone?

laney

HSC
Honours
Honours is awarded to students who have achieved above average results and who undertake an Honours Thesis in their Final Year. A weighted average is calculated for each student. A different weighting factor for each year of the program is applied to the marks in each course by units of credit as follows:

* Year 1 x 1
* General Education x 2
* Year 2 x 2
* Year 3 x 4
* Year 4 x 5

Industrial training is assigned a nominal value of 4 units of credit in Year 4 in the Honours calculation. For combined degree programs only the marks obtained in the standard Civil or Environmental Engineering courses are used in the calculation. A weighted average mark in the range of 65-69 will result in a recommendation for Honours 2/2. A weighted average mark in the range of 70-74 will result in a recommendation for Honours 2/1. A weighted average mark of 75 and above will result in a recommendation for Honours 1.

yeah cause mebe the civil engineers are cool.
or mebe we're just bored

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Acid: I don't know..

But don't worry, for commerce there is no such weightings applied. Actually, I think right across the uni they use the same system where WAM is the average of all your marks, regardless of year or course. However, various engineering schools (and possibly science) have their own little algorithms for calculating a WAM used for internal purposes eg. acceptance into honours course etc...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Acid said:
What's the dif between 2/2, 2/1 and 1?
Are you talking about Honours?

Ok, if you are, here is the difference between a Hon class 1 and 2.1.

What distinguishes First Class Honours from Honours 2.1?

Students that complete all aspects of the course on time, write a thesis that is acceptable, and can successfully defend their thesis in the final oral interview may expect to attain an Honours level 2.1. If the thesis is flawless, and there is evidence of critical analysis/creative thinking in the thesis, and the student demonstrates a broad understanding of the field of research then the student may attain an Honours First Class.

elfm

HSC
for civil engineering, and probably other streams of engineering, you only need a 62 WAM to get into honours :D

Acid

HSC
Is there really any tangible benefit from doing honours unless you want to become an academic? I'm thinking an extra year of experience in the work force would be preferable...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Acid: if you want to become an academic honours will be preferable. However, if you plan on entering the workforce immediately, I'd say honours, while it is nice, a year of experience would be more beneficial. That aside, it doesn't hurt to do honours, but we will (most of us) be working for many years to come anyway (25+ years), so there's really no rush to head out and work straight away - enjoy uni while you can mate..:)

elfm

HSC
What are the advantages of having an honours degree in the workforce?

What exactly do you do in your honours year?

I'm a civil engineering student btw

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
elfm said:
What are the advantages of having an honours degree in the workforce?

What exactly do you do in your honours year?

I'm a civil engineering student btw
Isn't Civil a 4 year degree? In that case, your Honours year is included in your 4 year degree anyway (the 4th year).

elfm

HSC
So what exactly do we do in an honours program? Or do I have the wrong idea here...

laney

HSC
elfm said:
So what exactly do we do in an honours program? Or do I have the wrong idea here...
if you choose to do honours, you have the option of writing a thesis. if you choose not to take the honours you can be like the rest of us and not write a thesis but instead take up civil engineering practice 4a and 4b.

elfm

HSC
/me runs from thesis

unless civil eng prac requires you to write the equivilant of a thesis, i'll probably stick without an honours degree. it's not like it's hard to find a job now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)