Year12 and Med @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

C'est la vie

Hi everyone,

I'm in Year12 at the moment, and I'm applying for Med at UNSW next year.

Now, would any of you be kind enough to give me some words of wisdom on a few things? I've got lots of questions...if you don't mind answering some?

They range from the CV and application form, to UMAT...

Anyone interested in giving me a hand?
Thanks in advance!

scandal

HSC
Howdy

Im at unsw and i wouldnt mind answering any questions - post em up or pm me and ill tey my best with my answers

Good on you for deciding to go for medicine - thats an achievement in itself i think - stick to it - i got an interview offer 4 days before christmas so anythings possible :)

C'est la vie

Thanks.

All my life my parents have been saying "clearly you'll study medicine when you grow up"...and just because they WANTED me to, I've always told them to screw it, as it's the last thing I'd ever want to do. But the truth is, I'd love to. More than anything.

But now they're convinced I'm doing it for them, and that it's not really what I want. ARGH!

But I really want to do the 7 year Arts/Medicine. I might PM you later with a list of questions. lol, something to wait for in anticipation!!

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
hehe.. your enthusiasm in itself is pretty impressive :) i'm w/ scandal in first year med as well... i'm not doing arts med but i'll be happy to answer any non-artsy type questions =)

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Try searching. Theres a LOT of info written elsewhere in this forum.

scandal

HSC
I know its getting a tad ahead but when the interview comes around - make sure u say ur doing med for u not for ur parents ive heard thats te first big no no

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lolz... if ure realli keen do wat insero, AK Gumbi and I did..
apply interstate too :)

Jaded Member
HSC
it does. It's a seven-year course, as opposed to the straight med six-year course. You take a year and a bit off med during the middle to complete your arts degree, then do a refresher and return to med.

C'est la vie

Hey everyone,

I was wondering, do you know if the Dallas cours for UMAT preparation any good? Like, I hear all these fantastic reports about it, like a 9 out of 10 success rate, if you do what he says.

Now, personally, I think it's completely bunk to get coaching to get it; but the thing is, that if I don't, I'm being disadvantaged. It sucks, I know. SO, the point is, I'm looking for some help with UMAT...and I know Dallas costs an arm and a leg...what do you think?

Does anyone have any numbers etc of any good coaching/preparation places?

scandal

HSC
Funy you ask - we were discussing dallas the other day. Most people actually werent in favour of it and said it idnt help much but i suppose it did give some sort of an advantage - many are now in medicine - but 9/10 success - i doubt that high.

Unfortuneately i cant give u any recommendations since i didnt do any - but i think they are a good idea if your serious abotu getting in

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dallas is a FAG..
i think thats all i got to say bout him

the course is ok.. not like it will definately get u in..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ey Alvin:
disclaimer:
Coke(r) should not be IV delivered no matter what I tells you.. trust me
what kida coke are we talking about here? :D

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
wilson.. see true story i was realli tired and.. i thought my CS tutor was talking bout coca cola.. that coke.. :S

inasero

Reborn
HSC
or...could be coke sniffing tutor ya know! specialy sicne he advised against injecting it

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Originally posted by C'est la vie
Hey everyone,

I was wondering, do you know if the Dallas cours for UMAT preparation any good? Like, I hear all these fantastic reports about it, like a 9 out of 10 success rate, if you do what he says.

Now, personally, I think it's completely bunk to get coaching to get it; but the thing is, that if I don't, I'm being disadvantaged. It sucks, I know. SO, the point is, I'm looking for some help with UMAT...and I know Dallas costs an arm and a leg...what do you think?

My only bit of advice is i've heard horror stories relating to DALLAS.

A UNSW Med dude came to my school and said that he checked out his website, and went thru the list of students Dallas claimed had attended his course, and a handful of them never even took the UMAT.

Jaded Member
HSC
actually that is true.
my friend took the dallas course because she was considering doing med, but in the end she decided against it and didn't bother with umat. i dono if there'd be a handful of such students tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)