Year12 and Med @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It's always been my opinion that you shouldn't think of UMAT preparation courses as something that give you an advantage. Sure, there are some people who may find the materials helpful (I'm asking a friend to lend me his section III book to practice) but if you really need to be told how to answer questions you've got no hope of getting in. The UMAT helps determine who is naturally good for medicine, and if you're not cut out for it, there's little that can change it. The whole application process in Australia (especially in NSW) chews up and spits out "trained-up" candidates.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iyamahobbit
A UNSW Med dude came to my school and said that he checked out his website, and went thru the list of students Dallas claimed had attended his course, and a handful of them never even took the UMAT.
zing

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
grrr.. UMAT is a stupid indicator if ure good for med...
lolz..
we should randomly assign occupations from birth to make life easier :p
...!!!!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Remember the middle ages? No, I don't either, but that's because we weren't there. Anyway, back then that's how things worked. It was called "birth", and your occupation was determined by the occupation of the man you were "born" to. :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
we should randomly assign occupations from birth to make life easier :p
...!!!!!
haha reminds me of Huxley's "Brave New World"...scary to consider....

jessum

HSC
i did the dallas thing, and personally i didnt think it helped at all.
i think he oversimplifies the umat and makes it seem like something u can learn how to do.
but after actually doing the test, i dont reckon any of his methods could be applied..
just commonsense really
but i guess the section 3 stuff helped, i wouldnt have been able to see the shapes otherwise.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
i think dallas was good while he was teaching, though he analysed everything a bit too intricately and came up with so many techniques that inevitably some techniques ended up contradicting others. it got really confusing in the end, i say he's a great motivational speaker but when you analyse how much you applied his techniques or his advice to the UMAT i'd say it ranked about a 0 on a scale from 1 to a lot. It's too hard to sit there and apply everything in the 1.8 minutes you have for each question.
although, i say that dallas' students were probably aceing section III, otherwise what would have possessed ACER to suddenly change the enitre layout of the section???

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
They didn't do it suddenly, they did it gradually. The trend away from find-a-shape towards the sequence questions began two years ago.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
they dissed dallas in one of the qs in section 2 XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)