Yeats- How many poems should we know? (1 Viewer)

philthy

HSC
I know that theoretically we should be able to write an essay on all 6 of the poems set for study, but realistically, how many poems should we study?
I have done several practice essays and they all say "refer to TWO of the poems studied", but my trial essay asked me to write about "EITHER Easter 1916 OR Sailing to Byzantium, AND at least ONE other Yeats poem."
Why did it say these two? Can the exam on monday be so specific as to which poems we use? :confused:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
philthy said:
Why did it say these two? Can the exam on monday be so specific as to which poems we use? :confused:
To make it harder I guess? I don't think the BOS will mention specific texts that you have to mention in your response. I would say know at least 3 in considerate detail, which is what I've done myself.

JayJay07

HSC
I doubt that they will specify in the actual exam. They CAN, however alot of people are doing novels and other texts for this module, so it would be unfair to those studying Yeats to single out which poems we had to use, while others get to use their whole texts. Just learn 3 in detail, the ones you really love/like to talk about, and if you want to be extra safe, just make sure you know briefly about the others so that you can write about it just in case.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
To make it harder I guess? I don't think the BOS will mention specific texts that you have to mention in your response. I would say know at least 3 in considerate detail, which is what I've done myself.
haha yeah i guess our 06 cohort was 'lucky' in that no poems were specified but it is well within the jurisdiction of the BOS. they CAN specify any poem, even not providing a choice like what the thread starter had in their trials.

so if you learnt 3 well for the hsc say the second coming, byzantium and easter 1916 all which have very few or intangible links with 'age' and 'youth' (hsc 06) then that would have been quite bad :/

so i guess my advice like ultraviolet for the 07ers (including one who posted their misleading view in this thread :p) would be to study 6. Or at the very least 5 (say choose either byzantium or sailing to byzantium, there's many overlaps in the analysis)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)