Are you studying...

• Yeats

Votes: 37 84.1%
  • Not Yeats

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
So who here is doing Yeats and what are your two main poems for analysis?

I'm a bit stuck trying to study, any hints/tips that you guys have used would be appreciated as it could give me a new angle to work on,

Ta :ninja:

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Doing Yeats. I know all the poems except Byzantium. In exam will probably use Easter 1916, Sailing to Byzantium and The Second Coming but if it asks for something one of them doesnt fit I can use Wild Swans or When you are old..... Just praying they don't specify Byzantium

HSC
The only poem I don't know very well is Byzantium as well.

When we started this module I recorded myself reading all my essays/notes etc. and put them on my iPod and I just listen to them whenever I'm out or sleeping or whatever.. tends to be annoying to listen to your own voice but it's definitely worked for me!! In terms of remembering quotes etc.

Good luck for monday!

jannali rulz

HSC
I don't think anyone knows Byzantium and i bet the markers know that it's the hardest poem ever so i doubt they'll tell us we have to use it. If they do then everyone will be screwed, myself included, and then it would still be fair.

definitely doing When you are old and second coming and then probably wild swans or sailing to byzantium. easter 1916 is way way too long to remember

dolbinau

HSC
I don't know Byzantium at all either. I'll have to get some quotes today.

I'm doing When you are Old, The Second Coming and if a third is needed probably Easter 1916 (I only remember around 4 specific techniques though I'll have to shape).

Luckily, I don't think we'll be asked about aging/youth again this year. Is there anything else they could really ask us that is in more than one Yeats poem? (and probably in the harwood poems too as the questions are usually the same)

Probably a simple speech on our personal response to the poetry, I hope!

Lordie

HSC
dolbinau said:
I don't know Byzantium at all either. I'll have to get some quotes today.

I'm doing When you are Old, The Second Coming and if a third is needed probably Easter 1916 (I only remember around 4 specific techniques though I'll have to shape).

Luckily, I don't think we'll be asked about aging/youth again this year. Is there anything else they could really ask us that is in more than one Yeats poem? (and probably in the harwood poems too as the questions are usually the same)

Probably a simple speech on our personal response to the poetry, I hope!
My god, English writers being that nice to us? I'd love to see the day! :eek: If it was a question along those lines, I think you'd hear a mass cheer when everyone reads the question. :haha:

HSC
N/A
Funny, majority of people don't like byznatium?

I find doing Sailing to Byzantium and then Byzantium work together well in an essay.

We were told to learn a select 2 poems but to briefly know the others just incase.

*Prays for a question suitable for STB and Byzantium*

Good Luck Tomorrow!
:ninja:

Smithyo

Unleash Hell =)
HSC
I'm doing Easter 1916, Sailing to Byzantium & Byzantium (if needed) :)

Lordie

HSC
I'm doing Wild Swans at Coole and The Second Coming, and then either Sailing to Byzantium or When You Are Old(Depending on the question).

I find Wild Swans to be an easy-ish poem, filled with a lot of techniques that show his feelings at that time in his life. Feeling he'd lost his poetic touch and love etc. etc.

I also find The Second Coming great, as there is much symbolism, and it highlights the fear of what may happen to the world after war and destruction. I don't know, they just seem great to me. :p

The questions asked since Yeats was introduced in 2004, have only asked for 3 or more, once - in 2005. In 2007 the question could have been suited to most poems(one intense human emotion, using TWO poems). In 2006, it was a quote about age and youth in Yeats poems. That kinda directs you to which poems you can use. It asked for TWO once more, however you could use the Byzantium poems, or I guess When You Are Old and Wild Swans at Coole. I know which one would probably get the better marks...hmm. heh

Last edited:

Hatta

HSC
I can remember them all (yes, even Byzantium), so I'm just going to see what the question is. But I usually use The Second Coming and Sailing to Byzantium, because they're the ones I can read into most and manipulate.

Katieeee

HSC
The three I know best are Easter 1916, The Second Coming and Wild Swans at Coole. I'm going over the others though... but hoping they don't ask about Byzantium! Or any one specific poem for that matter!

Yamiyo

HSC
I want to use The Wild Swans and Sailing...
3rd choice is When You Are Old
know Second and Easter vaguely
don't care about Byzantium (as with most people, it seems)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)