Yes, More subject selection stress (1 Viewer)

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
Well here goes, my subject selection is TOMORROW (during my bloody free peiod!) and I'm still not totally certain, right now I am doing Ext1Ma, Ext1Eng, Legal, Eco, V.A.
I qualified for both Ext2 Maths and Eng, though will definitely not be doing Ext2 maths.

I'm unsure as whether to drop visual art and take up ext2 english, or just keep the 12 units I am studying now (but oh, the lack of free periods!), and even possibly drop art next year anyway For the Prelim half-yearly adv eng I ranked 15 (our whole grade does adv eng), but for ext1 I ranked equal 1st, Art I ranked 2nd (out of like 17 though).

I'm leaning towards keeping the 12 units, but I'm not really sure what ext2 english involves (I'm more of an essay writer). I know in the end its my own decision, but any of your thoughts / comments would be great!

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Hey. This is totally irrelevant- but G.Lau is fitting in nicely at our school. :wave:

HSC
N/A
simonloo said:
Hey. This is totally irrelevant- but G.Lau is fitting in nicely at our school. :wave:
This, too, is (truly) totally irrelevant; Zerglish (sp.; I don't play "Starcraft" / "Star Craft") russsh!
lol my godz
Also off-topic; G.L. has become more 'gangsta'-ish.

It was a bit of an eyesore reading your post, freida; especailly so, considering how posts riddled to the very essence with instances of English abuse.
Anyhow, I think it is for you to decide your career path, your future, and your subjects; but you have stated that "any of your thoughts / comments would be great!".

I recommend you do either 10 or 12, or perhaps 14, units, and that's the maximum; there's no point in undertaking more units, invariably leading to you getting stressed out and possibly 'burning out'.

Good luck with whatever you do wind up choosing.:)

ssglain

HSC
So how did your subject selection go?

If you did take up Ext-2 English, here's a free piece of advice: make sure that you have passion in whichever area you direct your major work and don't let your teachers steer you around the world chasing after their ideals.

I'm not sure what your motive is for doing Ext-2 English, but I was in a similar situation of having a good ranks in Adv (4th/95) and Ext-1 English (1st/30). I did Ext-2 for 2 terms at the start of this year. I wanted to compose a critical response (a rather unpopular Ext-2 text type) to evaluate the linguistic impacts of modern technologies. I was advised, instead, to mould my ideas and arguments into a short story to take advantage of its flexibility in terms of structures, diction, etc. My teacher insisted that markers (for she was one) did not enjoy reading droningly objective essays no matter how interesting the topic or delivery. So, I listened to her and tried to channel what little creative energies I have into a short story, which obviously wasn't very successful. I'm like you - an essay writer. Eventually I decided I had no interest in creative writing and had wasted enough time doing things that I didn't enjoy.

Despite having said that - Ext-2 English is definitely worth a try, as with all extension subjects offered in your areas of interest.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
It was a bit of an eyesore reading your post, freida; especailly so, considering how posts riddled to the very essence with instances of English abuse.
Jesus Christ. How the fuck was his post hard to read? It wasn't netspeak, it used punctuation and capitalization and mostly-correct spelling, so what is your problem?

As an aside, the very sentence I have quoted you on is "riddled to the very essence with instances of English abuse" as much, if not more so, than the OP's post. So yeah, in conclusion please stop being so smug and overbearing on a fucking internet forum. I hate to keep on mentioning it, but you keep on making me.

tough love, baby.

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
I did the subject selection today and my interviewer is letting me test out both the ext2 and art for term 4 (meaning 13 units as long as the lines work together right).
So many people were umming and ahhing at school today so it was glad to know that I wasn't the only one!

P.S. Simonloo nice to hear about g.lau, haven't seen him since Christmas! and yay for Jachie ;)

HKHSCstudent

HSC
Uni Grad
回覆: Re: Yes, More subject selection stress

How come you guys get your subject selection form for HSC sooo early???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)