You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or gud? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
In employers eyes (specifically talking graduate programs at big 4 firm/banks) would it be looked favourably or badly if someone took a leave of absence in their b.com degree for 1 year and worked full time for 1 year????

Stuff like full time at retail,cole or bank teller etc... Would the type of work experience be the deciding factor??? or would it be looked good upon nevertheless?

enoilgam

HSC
Re: You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or g

They dont look down upon it - many people have breaks in their studies to travel or work etc. I dont think it will have much impact on your employability at all. Besides, information like that wouldnt really show up on a CV.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or g

I think you are over-thinking it. I don't think it matters whether you have taken a year off or not. I think it might even be more worthwhile when you are studying and also working at the same time.

getting into a grad program is a big plus however, you can still do really well in your career without having to get into a grad program if you are switched on and work your way up getting an entry role in the financial services industry

sghguos

HSC
N/A

They dont look down upon it - many people have breaks in their studies to travel or work etc. I dont think it will have much impact on your employability at all. Besides, information like that wouldnt really show up on a CV.
but it would be better to do this (take a leave of absence and take up full time employment for a year) than to just graduate uni fast with no work experience right?? What im trying to say is, is the 1 year of full time work experience a benefit for me when im applying for grad jobs?

enoilgam

HSC

but it would be better to do this (take a leave of absence and take up full time employment for a year) than to just graduate uni fast with no work experience right?? What im trying to say is, is the 1 year of full time work experience a benefit for me when im applying for grad jobs?
If it was industry experience, then yes it would help. If it was general work then not so much. Ultimately though, hard skills and attributes (i.e. grades, work experience etc) will get you to the later rounds of graduate selection, it's really the soft skills (i.e. communication, leadership etc) that they look for when making a final decision.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

If it was industry experience, then yes it would help. If it was general work then not so much. Ultimately though, hard skills and attributes (i.e. grades, work experience etc) will get you to the later rounds of graduate selection, it's really the soft skills (i.e. communication, leadership etc) that they look for when making a final decision.
Something like a bank teller?
OR working in retail

Would that be industry related you reken. I really need your honest opinion and help.

YOu know that thread that guy made recently about him doing eco/app finance at MQ and how he's saying how useless degrees are and that alot of the grad programs are becoming so god dam hard to get into?? That thread totally destroyed me and now im thinking there is no point in graduating uni early instead taking a break and getting a tad more of experience is gonna be better for my life.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

If you're thinking of taking a year off to work at Coles... Don't bother.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Use the opportunities available at Uni. Join clubs, create projects, run events.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

If you're thinking of taking a year off to work at Coles... Don't bother.
And whys that???

coles is probs a realistic goal for me

maybe bank teller

enoilgam

HSC

Something like a bank teller?
OR working in retail

Would that be industry related you reken. I really need your honest opinion and help.
Probably a bank teller, but either way, I dont think it would make a difference. A vacationer job or something similar at a Bank/Professional services firm will be better.

YOu know that thread that guy made recently about him doing eco/app finance at MQ and how he's saying how useless degrees are and that alot of the grad programs are becoming so god dam hard to get into?? That thread totally destroyed me and now im thinking there is no point in graduating uni early instead taking a break and getting a tad more of experience is gonna be better for my life.
Graduate programs arent the only way into an industry, read what Trebla and I wrote. I'm looking in the HR industry and graduate programs only account for a small amount of opportunities. There are plenty of entry level jobs avaliable - however, most require experience which I am fortunate enough to have. Otherwise, you could easily work in an admin role for a year or two and use that experience to transition into an entry level HR role.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

And whys that???

coles is probs a realistic goal for me

maybe bank teller
Because it's not something worth taking a year off to do.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Probably a bank teller, but either way, I dont think it would make a difference. A vacationer job or something similar at a Bank/Professional services firm will be better.

Graduate programs arent the only way into an industry, read what Trebla and I wrote. I'm looking in the HR industry and graduate programs only account for a small amount of opportunities. There are plenty of entry level jobs avaliable - however, most require experience which I am fortunate enough to have. Otherwise, you could easily work in an admin role for a year or two and use that experience to transition into an entry level HR role.
Yeah since even entry roles require experience having that 1 year full time work experience even though im older would benefit me???

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Because it's not something worth taking a year off to do.
Whats the point of graduating uni fast and then not being able to get a grad job????? A GRAD JOB IS A MUST FOR ME. I dont even wanna look at entry levels.

enoilgam

HSC

Yeah since even entry roles require experience having that 1 year full time work experience even though im older would benefit me???
Entry Level roles usually require administrative or industry experience (at least that's the case with HR stuff).

Whats the point of graduating uni fast and then not being able to get a grad job????? A GRAD JOB IS A MUST FOR ME. I dont even wanna look at entry levels.
Why is it a must? You need to prepare for the possibility that you wont make it into any (which is the reality for many graduates).

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Entry Level roles usually require administrative or industry experience (at least that's the case with HR stuff).

Why is it a must? You need to prepare for the possibility that you wont make it into any (which is the reality for many graduates).
NOP its not gonna be considered for me. Id rather stay at uni for another 2 years and get more experience and extra currics to land that grad job.

enoilgam

HSC

NOP its not gonna be considered for me. Id rather stay at uni for another 2 years and get more experience and extra currics to land that grad job.
Why though?

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Why though?
cuz its the background im from (asian).Since i went to a prestious uni I need to work at a big tall building with a white collar its how the asian culture is. If you dont it means your trash. :(

enoilgam

HSC

cuz its the background im from (asian).Since i went to a prestious uni I need to work at a big tall building with a white collar its how the asian culture is. If you dont it means your trash. :(
You can still do that with an entry level job.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

You can still do that with an entry level job.
most entry level places are like small businesses they dont have skyscrapers....

enoilgam

HSC

most entry level places are like small businesses they dont have skyscrapers....
No, they arent always small businesses and often times they are located in the City. In any event, like I said, you may not have a choice in this area - there are a limited about of places avaliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)