You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or gud? (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly ...

cuz its the background im from (asian).Since i went to a prestious uni I need to work at a big tall building with a white collar its how the asian culture is. If you dont it means your trash. :(
Mate... You'll get there by building up experience ....

Who cares about Asian culture? Will working at a tall building make you any happier ?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly ...

Also a degree does not equal a job....

It ain't the world of silly wonker and his chocolate factory.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or g

You need to know people and dats it, you're hired m8

it's like being zyzz and dats it, ur in

fairfield lawyer salary: $600m

fairfield accountant: $50k

Combo

beast
HSC
Re: You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or g

deciding factor???
interview (if u ever get one)
Whats the point of graduating uni fast and then not being able to get a grad job????? A GRAD JOB IS A MUST FOR ME. I dont even wanna look at entry levels.
I think you are extremely underestimating the amount of effort needed to land a grad job.
75 WAM (not ez) + attend BBQ + work at coles =/= grad job

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

awkward moment when pwc has no grad program anymore and the other big 4 skyscrapers will follow suit soon

looks like you better get that job in coles

and keep it

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

awkward moment when pwc has no grad program anymore and the other big 4 skyscrapers will follow suit soon

looks like you better get that job in coles

and keep it
lol fucken rekt

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

op makes too many excuses
how to get into big 4 for dummies
65+ wam, ca for assurance/tax, extracurriculars, retail or whatever job (client-based preferably), not a basement, strong knowledge of service line/issues in economy, scholarship/awards/deans list or whatever shit to stand out

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

op makes too many excuses
how to get into big 4 for dummies
65+ wam, ca for assurance/tax, extracurriculars, retail or whatever job (client-based preferably), not a basement, strong knowledge of service line/issues in economy, scholarship/awards/deans list or whatever shit to stand out
Not asking much from sghguos are we?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

ironically a lot of companies are moving away from grad recruitment these days and relying on converting interns into grads.

enoilgam

HSC

ironically a lot of companies are moving away from grad recruitment these days and relying on converting interns into grads.
This is why I wish I was more proactive about my career in 2nd year as opposed to 3rd.

Combo

beast
HSC

cuz its the background im from (asian).Since i went to a prestious uni I need to work at a big tall building with a white collar its how the asian culture is. If you dont it means your trash. :(
perfect job: waiter at centre point tower restaurant
tall building (probs tallest in NSW...dat prestige) check
white collar shirt check
went to prestigious uni check
gg no re how did you not know about this?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

part of the reason I wish there were more programs available for us 5 year double degree-ers looking to try and get involved with the companies

like currently they're all pretty much just things like the preview program at PwC, Deloitte Development Program, etc but since they're not actually internships it's a little frustrating

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

part of the reason I wish there were more programs available for us 5 year double degree-ers looking to try and get involved with the companies

like currently they're all pretty much just things like the preview program at PwC, Deloitte Development Program, etc but since they're not actually internships it's a little frustrating
Hence the challenge for students in your position is to gain the experience and development opportunities without necessarily joining a big firm's internship program. Besides, look at it from their perspective- what's the point in taking you on as an intern in your first or second year when you have three more years before you can graduate and actually work full time?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Hence the challenge for students in your position is to gain the experience and development opportunities without necessarily joining a big firm's internship program. Besides, look at it from their perspective- what's the point in taking you on as an intern in your first or second year when you have three more years before you can graduate and actually work full time?
I know it's an opened ended question but would some basic accounts/admin work experience within a local council during the semester break be beneficial for internship applications later on? I'm in my first year so i haven't got many structured programs available as yet, i'm just trying to get my foot in the door.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

I agree with a lot which has been said in this thread. In short, it's not frowned upon or looked down on at all- but be prepared for the question of why, and what did you get out of it. If you do it to gain some work experience, just like any other applicant, the question is what did you learn and how is it relevant to what you're applying for. Sometimes you need to dig a bit deeper to figure out what benefits (if any) there are, and it also calls into question your judgement if you can't articulate it, etc... Also it's worth mentioning there's no hard and fast rules, but your potential employer would want an honest answer. It doesn't necessarily have to be a professional reason either- it can be very personal (e.g. to look after a sick family member).

sghguos

HSC
N/A

I agree with a lot which has been said in this thread. In short, it's not frowned upon or looked down on at all- but be prepared for the question of why, and what did you get out of it. If you do it to gain some work experience, just like any other applicant, the question is what did you learn and how is it relevant to what you're applying for. Sometimes you need to dig a bit deeper to figure out what benefits (if any) there are, and it also calls into question your judgement if you can't articulate it, etc... Also it's worth mentioning there's no hard and fast rules, but your potential employer would want an honest answer. It doesn't necessarily have to be a professional reason either- it can be very personal (e.g. to look after a sick family member).
All else being equal who would a employer rather hire.

A) Young normal b.com graduate 23 years old (limited work exp.)

B) normal b.com graduate 24 years old (1 year full time work experience during leave of absence at coles,woolies)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Your all else equal scenarios are impossible to call. They always have been. Because you continue to miss the point.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Your all else equal scenarios are impossible to call. They always have been. Because you continue to miss the point.
What you just actually said doesnt make sense lol

Any decent person would have the ability to comphrehend what im trying to ask.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

What you just actually said doesnt make sense lol

Any decent person would have the ability to comphrehend what im trying to ask.
Yes it does.

We can't give you an answer. There is no answer. Every employer is different. There is no average to give.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)