You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or gud? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or g

Yes it does.

We can't give you an answer. There is no answer. Every employer is different. There is no average to give.
If you were an employer who would you pick.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: You took a leave of absence for 1 year for full time work is it looked badly or g

At 23 they're both pretty terrible options.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

All else being equal who would a employer rather hire.

A) Young normal b.com graduate 23 years old (limited work exp.)

B) normal b.com graduate 24 years old (1 year full time work experience during leave of absence at coles,woolies)
You do realise that plenty of "normal b comm graduates" would have worked at coles or woolies throughout school and uni, right? There would be no advantage at all.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

You do realise that plenty of "normal b comm graduates" would have worked at coles or woolies throughout school and uni, right? There would be no advantage at all.
yeah ik.. but will i be on par with them at least?

Im not in a situation where i can study and do part time at the same time (i can even manage uni by itself)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Your all else equal scenarios are impossible to call. They always have been. Because you continue to miss the point.
This. But for the sake of answering the question, work experience, assuming it was meaningful and worthwhile (e.g. assistant store manager, crew trainer, etc) would probably be the leg up. It really would come down to who could convince me better that their experience was relevant/useful for the role they were applying for.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

how about working full-time and uni part time is that looked favourably???

enoilgam

HSC

It really would come down to who could convince me better that their experience was relevant/useful for the role they were applying for.
This is another thing people forget - you need to be able to sell the experience in an interview. Like, I've worked for 6 years at an interior construction firm as a labourer - whilst that looks useless for most corporate jobs, I mention how I manage contractors and handle site inductions (i.e. showing I have important responsibilities). I also use it to emphasise my ability to take on and learn a wide variety of tasks (because that role involves a range of duties). It is probably the least useful role on my CV, but I can sell some of the skills I have gained to employers.

The job market is essentially about salesmanship and the product you are selling is yourself. Having a good CV is great, but if you cant sell it to an interviewer, then it isnt much use. Having an ability to link the work you have done to the work you will do is vital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)