Young drivers curfew (1 Viewer)

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
my friend said that he read in a paper today that young drivers are going to have a curfew of 10pm ... :confused:

anyone heard anything about this

nerd2die4

HSC
they are putting this curfew so that the young drivers wont do anything stupid anymore. well if they didnt follow the rules when there was no curfew i.e drink drivng, no seatbelts; what makes them think people will follow this curfew.

Dave85

HSC
everyone will just take there p's off... it'll never work. its impractical

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's crazy. I'm an autonomous, 19 year old person who works at night to pay her rent and has never drived irresponsibly. Not only can I not take cough syrup before driving, I also need to get a lift home from work and if my friends and I want to go somewhere we will have to take several cars.

This is such crap... typical reactionary politics. Irresponsibility is not totally related to youth... instead of spending money on implementing and policing these changes they should spend money on catching fuckwit drivers no matter how old they are. Dickheads will drive like dickheads no matter what the law is. These new restrictions on P plate drivers only serve to punish the responsible who will then possibly be forced to break laws through necessity (such as getting home from work) and will possibly have to face consequences despite being responsible citizens. It's insane.

Grrrr it's another one of these things which shits me to tears!!! Where are our civil liberties!

Dave85

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
It's crazy. I'm an autonomous, 19 year old person who works at night to pay her rent and has never drived irresponsibly. Not only can I not take cough syrup before driving, I also need to get a lift home from work and if my friends and I want to go somewhere we will have to take several cars.

This is such crap... typical reactionary politics. Irresponsibility is not totally related to youth... instead of spending money on implementing and policing these changes they should spend money on catching fuckwit drivers no matter how old they are. Dickheads will drive like dickheads no matter what the law is. These new restrictions on P plate drivers only serve to punish the responsible who will then possibly be forced to break laws through necessity (such as getting home from work) and will possibly have to face consequences despite being responsible citizens. It's insane.

Grrrr it's another one of these things which shits me to tears!!! Where are our civil liberties!
lol. fire up ash! fire up.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah ash, couldn't have said it better myself.

personally, the curfew is not the most practical way to prevent stupidity in youth. education is. has anyone seen that ad from the RTA, which starts off making you think that it's a car ad for some really fast car....and then he crashes into another accident and has a really horrific accident? now that scared the fuck out of me. stuff like that should be shown in schools.

people speed, drink and drive, and do other assorted stupid things because they dont' realise the dire consequences of their actions. more so with young people because i guess we haven't had as much experience on the roads.

malkin86

HSC
There should be some kind of exception for P platers who need to drive for work or school beyond the curfew.. Don't know if there will be. There'll prolly be an exception of some kind for religious ceremony attendance purposes... (why do I think this? 0.02 alcohol is a defence if you can prove it was drunk in a religious ceremony)

twiztidgez

Yeh theres meant to be special permits so u can drive home from work and stuff and theyre also gonna ban us from having cars over a certain power to weight ratio which is gonna fuck up a lot of my mates but still i dont have so much of a problem with that as much as banning us from driving altogether. I live alone and work as late as 2 am sometimes to so im just gonna have to take off my p's and wot are we gonna do when we wanna go into town catch taxi's everywhere? it just aint worth it. Theres an smh poll goin on at the moment and its at about 84% of 20000 people are against it. But your right that theres no chance in hell that if people dont obey the law now then theyll just keep doing what their doing.
I didnt know about that religious alcohol shit and id use it but personally i never drink anything if im gonna drive cos there just aint any point in havin a couple and stoppin, its all or nothin for me and i do love gettin plastered and have even before i was 18 but at least i was responsible and didnt drive like a dumb cunt. I cant wait till they get in their new on the spot drug testing so all those dipshits DUI on other drugs get busted.
I only hope this is just another hollow election policy. It dissapoints me being a long time labour supporter that it is infact a labour member pushing for this to go through. Its the NSW Road Minister Carl Scully if anyone cares carl.scully@scully.minister.nsw.gov.au everyone should write to him i reckon, cept do it properly otherwise hes just gonna think the youth of australia are dipshits to

santaslayer

HSC
malkin86 said:
There should be some kind of exception for P platers who need to drive for work or school beyond the curfew.. Don't know if there will be. There'll prolly be an exception of some kind for religious ceremony attendance purposes... (why do I think this? 0.02 alcohol is a defence if you can prove it was drunk in a religious ceremony)
:uhhuh: I agree. :uhhuh:

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
On top of this curfew they are 'road testing' a drivers ed scheme which would involve set amounts of classes for L and P platers before and after they get their respective plates. And the current required hours for L platers (i think its 50) would also rise.

Now don't get me wrong i think the drivers ed stuff is good, and i've talked to others about this for years. But the cost per student to run this course is roughly $1200. I don't see us out putting this money, nor our parents.. so unless the government plans to fund it... Also there has been talk about re-testing drivers after 5 or 10 years. Once again $$$ in employee time and in our time.

So the point of all of this new stuff...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

plain and simple, its more revenue raising. They're getting close to $500 out of my family for me to get my licence... and then once again when my sister goes... how much more $$$ do they need? Its not as if we see any benefit from it.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i cant see how they will be able to implement and control this...

wasnt there talk of how some wanted to reduce roadside speed guns and rbt's because it was putting cops' lives in danger? how will they be able to watch over this.

i work past 10 pm on usually about 3 days per week. i think its a good idea to put some kind of restriction on young drivers, but i dont think that this is a good idea.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
johnson said:
yeah ash, couldn't have said it better myself.

personally, the curfew is not the most practical way to prevent stupidity in youth. education is. has anyone seen that ad from the RTA, which starts off making you think that it's a car ad for some really fast car....and then he crashes into another accident and has a really horrific accident? now that scared the fuck out of me. stuff like that should be shown in schools.

people speed, drink and drive, and do other assorted stupid things because they dont' realise the dire consequences of their actions. more so with young people because i guess we haven't had as much experience on the roads.
i was bopping and thinking ireally needed to get the powderfinger album :S

morrie

petition!!!

Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"Stop Curfew for "P-Platers" in NSW"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/drive/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
signing yourself.

Best wishes.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
This Proposal has been floating around for a few years I heard. I know I heard the same idea was raised last year after some accident, but it never passed. It's just something they raise to look like they're doing something.

Anyway, I don't seem them introducing a Bill about truckies not driving after ten or carrying passengers and they've had some major crashes like the one at Bulahdelah a few months back, and the one on the New England Highway near Singleton, and others.

Besides, given uni's, congestion issues, greenhouse emission worries, jobs, older P platers, TAFE and the HSC (which has tests finsihing at 5:00) it's infeasible.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I heard on the radio this morning that there is a 1800 phone number u can call what protest about the curfew.

nerd2die4

HSC
This just introduces a new law that will be broken, a lot. people will just take of their P's, it's not that hard.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Aspects of a just law:
1. Enforceability
2. Discoverability
3. Acceptability

Formal equality:
The law applies to everyone equally but due to this discriminates against a small portion of the population. e.g. Headscarves are banned in French schools for everyone but only the Muslim girls would wear it.

It's not really enforceable this law, so many people will break it that the prisons will be filled with 17-21 year olds who were driving around at night without P plates on. Welcome back 18th Century Britain, let's just hope they don't start exporting us to New Zealand or some other colony of Australia.

It might come out as being acceptable to the uninformed majority who believe it will save lives (and whose lives are being saved is a completely different discussion - hint: jerks who drive around like their hair's on fire at 200km/h), but it will not be acceptable to the vast majority of people that this law effects.

The law might apply to everyone in society but it affects only 17-21 year olds with P plates. A very specific minority is being discriminated against. And really, they could make the curfew and passenger thing for 17 year olds on their Ps only, which would make slightly more sense. When you're 18 you have all liberties that are afforded to you by the state. Under that however, the state can still make laws to "protect" you e.g. you can't buy alchohol or cigarettes nor can you sign contracts. By restricting over 18 year olds it overrides treating them like adults.

They really haven't thought their idea through at all and that's probably why it won't be introduced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)