Your feelings towards internationals. (1 Viewer)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
its no excuse that english is your/others' second language. you cant really say to me 'how about you try go to a foreign country and study there'. you choose to come here and study in english and if you cant do a good job at that expect ppl to criticise you

none of us chose to go to indonesia to study in indonesian - if i did feel free to say how crap my indonesian is.

ylg4629

HSC
i honestly thought australia was a place that had virtues such as tolerance and acceptance. clearly this is not true. people are trying their best, and whilst yes it may be our choice to come here for a better education, they do not choose to have less than perfect english. stating that english is our second language is not an excuse, it's a fact that people need to deal with. many times i have had to fix the pathetic mistakes of locals in my group assignments, whilst they use the excuse of getting drunk and not being able to do their fair share of the work because they were hungover. it goes both ways when it comes to putting in your fair share of work. whilst you may say that having english as a second language is no excuse for having grammatical errors, it is also not an excuse to be constantly drunk and therefore not put in the effort. not being able to decisively articulate yourself in a foreign language does not imply stupidity, nor does it warrant such excessive anger and criticism. it is not an excuse to express racist outbursts. we are the ones keeping your unis alive whether you like it or not so without us, you would have no degree, so stop complaining. i know aussies are good at that. get over yourselves and wake up to the fact that you are not god's gift to the earth and respect and treat others the way in which you too would like to be treated.

as an international, do you find my english to be so abhorrent?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
ylg4629 said:
i honestly thought australia was a place that had virtues such as tolerance and acceptance. clearly this is not true. people are trying their best, and whilst yes it may be our choice to come here for a better education, they do not choose to have less than perfect english. stating that english is our second language is not an excuse, it's a fact that people need to deal with. many times i have had to fix the pathetic mistakes of locals in my group assignments, whilst they use the excuse of getting drunk and not being able to do their fair share of the work because they were hungover. it goes both ways when it comes to putting in your fair share of work. whilst you may say that having english as a second language is no excuse for having grammatical errors, it is also not an excuse to be constantly drunk and therefore not put in the effort. not being able to decisively articulate yourself in a foreign language does not imply stupidity, nor does it warrant such excessive anger and criticism. it is not an excuse to express racist outbursts. we are the ones keeping your unis alive whether you like it or not so without us, you would have no degree, so stop complaining. i know aussies are good at that. get over yourselves and wake up to the fact that you are not god's gift to the earth and respect and treat others the way in which you too would like to be treated.

ye im drunk right now

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
ylg,

we're not saying that you're shit, we're saying that most internationals we've met thus far as been shit.

and they make dirty sounds when they eat
and they have funny coloured skin
how do they see out of those small slits?
their language sounds like a dying cat
mao gidde mao!

jellybelly08

HSC
ylg4629 said:

I don't know what abhorrent means, but please use paragraphs and capital letters at the start of sentences.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
yea your english is great. that doesn't mean a lot of overseas students' english standards arent dragging down the quality of education

australia is a place of tolerance and acceptance, but that doesn't mean i can't voice my opinion. you're still here studying aren't you? along with all those other overseas students? isnt that already testament to our tolerance and acceptance? tolerance and acceptance means everyone can voice their opinions including me, smart cookie.

drunk australian students? well sorry you've come across such low-quality peers. but you know what, two wrongs (drunk aussie student and crappy overseas student) dont make a right do they? or maybe you're just confusing maths with reality.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Omnidragon said:
but you know what, two wrongs (drunk aussie student and crappy overseas student) dont make a right do they? or maybe you're just confusing maths with reality.
-1+-1=-2
?

HSC
Don't think everyone thinks the worst of international students. The international students i've met with socially always seem polite and interesting and i have a few friends that i get along great with. Sometimes culture shock gets in the way or misunderstandings can occur but for the most part it is easily overlooked =)

I think it depends more on the PERSON then the fact that they are local or int students that cause someone to slack off -.-'

(though i did meet some french exchange students who have made me think less of french people)

Last edited:

decagon

HSC
I'm an Asian (from Bangladesh to be exact) and was hoping to come to Australia to study at the ANU. I've unconditional offers from both the ANU and Manchester University, UK. Before reading this thread, I thought Aussies were very friendly and welcoming, but now I see otherwise. I'll be thinking twice whether to come to Australia now, since I'll be paying A$30K pa for my tuition and living, and living with all you racist people.

When I'll go overseas to study, I'll be staying away from my parents, relatives and friends for over four years. I'll be in a totally alien environment, far away from the familiar sights, sounds and faces. I'll be living all alone. If in that situation I face disgusting racist remarks, I'll be totally devastated. I made a thread on the British version of BoredOfStudies, The Student Room, asking people whether Manchester is racist or not. Almost all the replies were positive and people there were telling me there's nothing to be afraid of, and that the people at Manchester are very welcoming and tolerant. But here, you people are just asking Asians to fuck off!

duy.le

HSC
decagon said:
I'm an Asian (from Bangladesh to be exact) and was hoping to come to Australia to study at the ANU. I've unconditional offers from both the ANU and Manchester University, UK. Before reading this thread, I thought Aussies were very friendly and welcoming, but now I see otherwise. I'll be thinking twice whether to come to Australia now, since I'll be paying A$30K pa for my tuition and living, and living with all you racist people.

When I'll go overseas to study, I'll be staying away from my parents, relatives and friends for over four years. I'll be in a totally alien environment, far away from the familiar sights, sounds and faces. I'll be living all alone. If in that situation I face disgusting racist remarks, I'll be totally devastated. I made a thread on the British version of BoredOfStudies, The Student Room, asking people whether Manchester is racist or not. Almost all the replies were positive and people there were telling me there's nothing to be afraid of, and that the people at Manchester are very welcoming and tolerant. But here, you people are just asking Asians to fuck off!
i would say that international students get a bad wrap because they can pay their way into their course and stuff, but i rarely see racism towards me (even though im not much of an international student, but merely asian). i would like to believe that we live in a very tolerating society that respect each other, but then again most of my friends are asians (though that not to say i dont have friends of different ethnic backgrounds). i cant comment on how the english and american college system works, but i would say australia offers a very good opportunity to successful in a career and many good friends along the way. but then again that just my opinion, really i wouldnt go to a different country even if u paid me (i hate america's political system and ideologies). do what ever floats ur boat.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
decagon - most of the racist comments here are from high school students/trolls. I have plenty of international friends (even my neighbour is international) and they really enjoy it here. If you're willing to contribute socially, you won't have any issues.

I wrote a little bit about my (bad) experiences with international students here.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3709000&postcount=22
but apart from that, i don't have any angst towards internationals, like i said before (about 8 times lol), i have heaps of international friends.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
this thread like davo has pointed out is full of trollage and high school students who will probaly never make it to uni anyway.

out of my three years at uni i.e. unsw, i havent had any trouble with racism but it was more at high school that i met racism.

and also this thread is mainly about the international students who dont work hard. this thread on top of things is selected by those who want to view and comment. so those who do not have any bad feelings towards international students would not enter this thread and comment.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
decagon said:

Firstly, if you're afraid of racism, don't go overseas. Doesn't matter where you go, there will be fuckheads there.

Secondly. we're telling asians that don't make an attempt to speak english or contribute to the social life of the place to fuck off. They take places that could have been given to someone who might not study as much, but would bring alot more to the university (and especially college) environment. If you're going to contribute to the social atmosphere, then you will be fine.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: Your feelings towards internationals.

nutting said:
Ah yes finally you speak the truth about Racism in Australia

Have a look at who you are talking about:
http://boredofstudies.org/the_team.php

Also, My Manager is Asian.
Remember that the next time you attend a job interview , explain to you prospective Boos that you hate Asians
Which makes me question why racists even appear here.

Monstar said:
CHING CHONG CHING CHING CHONG CHING BING LONG LONG. No one can understand you, Nutting. Bet you that your name is just the sounds that are made when we chuck pots and pans down the stairs.
Chances are your clothes are made by Chinam3n what are you going to do take your clothes off come down the Broadway and sing that Chinam3n song?
All your primary industries are belong to Chinam3n.

:lol:

wrong_turn said:
this thread like davo has pointed out is full of trollage and high school students who will probaly never make it to uni anyway.

out of my three years at uni i.e. unsw, i havent had any trouble with racism but it was more at high school that i met racism.

and also this thread is mainly about the international students who dont work hard. this thread on top of things is selected by those who want to view and comment. so those who do not have any bad feelings towards international students would not enter this thread and comment.
What a m3n.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
decagon said:

if you're going to base your decision on a few posts on one forum, then good luck to you because you'll need LOTS of it kid

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
if you're going to base your decision on a few posts on one forum, then good luck to you because you'll need LOTS of it kid
It's ironic as Manchester is much more racist. (im Indian and have lived in the UK).

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
BigPole said:
Oh piss off, seriously, piss the fuck off you dickhead. No matter where you fucking go you'll get racism, wether it be Australia, UK, America etc, grow the hell up seriously, if you can't handle a bit of racism then you seriously need to learn to because some people have to deal with it every fucking day. Seriously, no one cares about you, come if you want or study somewhere else, no one here gives a flying shit. If you CHOOSE to come to this country then you gotta accept us Aussies for how we are, don't like it, tough luck.
Hey buddy, go outside and get some air.

"us aussies" certainly aren't the type of character that you just portrayed with your piss poor rant. Regardless of the accuracy of his opinions, people like you don't help the situation.

It's obvious that this guy isn't all that cluey if he bases his final decision on university placement on comments off a student forum on the net. I thought that was a given?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)