Your say on: Uni Days! (2 Viewers)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
It isnt good money for a job that requires a masters.

And in the right discipline a first job can be $80,000+.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
let the woman climb

from teacher to head teacher to whatever to dean

shnaz.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
well people that have 2 arts majors should expect to have trouble, thats why im majoring in a science. Arts is good to open your mind a bit more and develop your critical and analytical thinking skills, those are skills in themselves. Theres not many prospects if you just fuck around and let the broadness of the degree fuck you over, if your doing an arts then just specify your study a bit more then move onto honours and you can do more with that.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
Not compared to the amount you can get outside of university.
Well, she seems to be having some slight difficulties seeking employment outside of university, as elaborated upon in the erm.. article.

loquasagacious said:
Which is hardly great money.
50k is better than hovering around the unemployment ranks, correct? Beggars can't be choosers. BTW, I'm pretty sure the mean remuneration package for professors are higher than you specified. 100k seems to be the mean for a starting professor, where increases in your package can result from individual qualifications and experience.

loquasagacious said:
It isnt good money for a job that requires a masters.
That's subjective. If you were to consider what academic effort is required to get a certain salary based on the time it takes (note: assumption is made you have the aptitude prerequisites to attain such), then [getting to] a Masters may take around 5-8 years (e.g 4 year undergrad + say, 2 years postgrad Masters). A MBBS from somewhere like UNSW takes around 6-7 years, right? And what kind of starting salary would intern doctors expect? Maybe just scraping 50k. It's not so black and white as to just assert 'in the right discipline a first job can get 80k', because we're not talking about ANY Masters, as you seemed to be so fixated upon. We're trying to make the best possible outcome for this particular woman with 2 Arts Masters. And especially considering she has shit all work experience to compliment those 2 Masters, I'd be jolly happy to accept a 50k starting salary.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Im not meaning to suggest that $50K for this particular woman and her two arts masters isnt pretty decent (less than she could get if she moved to canberra though...). What I am saying is that a 'better' masters could have resulted in a better wage.

Your comparison with doctors is unfair as their pay rate escalates far faster than a lecturer.

My other point of comparison was that of our BA, dual-masters (which took lets say 3+2+2=7years) may get $50K in academia whereas a BEc/BCom (4years) grad can look at starting on more in the $80k region, likewise BActuarial and (almost an ultimate 'big penis' degree) LLb/BActuarial.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ah, fair enough. I'm not disputing the factuality of your points, simply the relevance. I must acknowledge a misunderstanding occurred due to the context in which I took your previous post. Everything here in my opinion should be geared towards this particular woman's circumstances. Now your general statement that '100k is hardly great money' would be true for a person with dual-Masters, in general (based on mean remuneration of all people with dual-Masters). But since we're talking about this poor woman here, I interpreted it as '100k is hardly great money [for this particular person]', and this is where my disagreement arose. I thought it was fairly obvious that a erm.. 'superior' Masters would result in a far better package.. but I personally believed this was so trivial that it didn't need to be said, hence my interpretation of the context to which I took.

Anyway, you are correct about the rate of remuneration increase for doctors vs. tertiary educators, but recall that the subject at hand was entry remuneration, not potential.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)