Your thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

izzy88

HSC
hey so if there are no limits on the people getting into band 6...isn't that bad then because doesn't that mean ancient will scale pretty badly in the UAI calculations?

im not sure how it all works...but im pretty sure if the subject is deemed 'easy' (based on the exam anyway) it won't scale great compared to other subjects for the UAI? Anyone know anything about that extremly complicated, mathematical process??

HSC
Yeah I found it much easier than I expected it to be. The Peloponnesian War question was a gift for our school because we had a question on the Sicilian Expedition in our half yearly and trial so we were all pretty set for that one.

For whoever was getting worried about everyone finding it easy I was talking to my teachers today and they thought that because it was easier it wouldn't scale aswell.

kimsquared

HSC
Dw, I don't think everyone found it easy. Think about it this way, all the people who studied and worked all year would have found it good - and that's us here on these forums discussing the exam

and then all the people that didn't study and found it hard don't care, so you never hear from them

*equilibrium managed*

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
happibear said:
Do u guys do adv english?? i want to know pple who does standard english do well for ancient history as well. i see many of u guys from adv english and its making me worry because i didnt do so well. i didnt know how to study for history and now i know cause usually i study by reading text book.
Im really confident i will do good for sparta because i used my notes instead of from the texbook. I have my other own notes on other topics but i didnt use them, i should have used them.

ARE u pple aiming high for ur UAI like 90+???? i was hoping those average students dont say it was easy, i find it not easy.
I am an average student BUT i did find it easy because it is my best subject by far. I came first in my year in yr11 but screwed up Agrippina in yr12 (like really really badly. Think bottom 5 students). The exam was fairly balanced but what will set everyone apart are the last two sections.
Also if people got lazy in P+H you loose a mark here, a mark there then suddenly you are a band lower then you should be. Don't worry, trust in your own evaluation and you already know the result.

urgay

HSC
Krit 100 said:
hey did anyone write about the earthquake of AD 62 for the first question plus call the eatery a bathroom in question 2 !!!!!
i compelety agree with you. these people are so up themselves, they think they are going to do so well but they dont realise it wasn't an eatiry, it was a bathroom, der. notice the smaller, mudbricks, an obvious characteristic of a bathroom :burn: they are all dumb loveos, and hahah they didnt even realise taht the source was about the earthquake not the volcanoe

suck shit losers

jesuschrist

HSC
urgay said:
i compelety agree with you. these people are so up themselves, they think they are going to do so well but they dont realise it wasn't an eatiry, it was a bathroom, der. notice the smaller, mudbricks, an obvious characteristic of a bathroom :burn: they are all dumb loveos, and hahah they didnt even realise taht the source was about the earthquake not the volcanoe

suck shit losers

hrmmmm
have to beg to differ
BTW
dont be an ass
you cant rip on ppl for being up themselves then tell them that they are all wrong and to suck shit....hrrmmm sounds a tad up urself :)
and the second source was a food bar...? y would we they ask us to talk bout food if we were meant to talk about shit?
sounds like you are just trying to stress out all the anicent nerds... not very nice of you :(
and if the first sourse was the 62 quake meh...only three marks, and the question make a whole lot more sense now :)
im sure we made it up by not talking about excrement in the food question

hang on have consulted text book

PLiny The younger letters book IV 20
"the shirll cries of women...etc" second letter to tacitus in which pliny describes the effects of the erruption as experienced in misenum

yay :) all is well

Last edited:

atreus

HSC
kimsquared said:
Dw, I don't think everyone found it easy. Think about it this way, all the people who studied and worked all year would have found it good - and that's us here on these forums discussing the exam

and then all the people that didn't study and found it hard don't care, so you never hear from them
i agree, and u have to think that there are about 15000 that did ancient this year, weren't there?

urgay

HSC
hang on have consulted text book

PLiny The younger letters book IV 20
"the shirll cries of women...etc" second letter to tacitus in which pliny describes the effects of the erruption as experienced in misenum

yay :) all is well[/quote]

HAHAH MADE YOU STRESS. lol oviously it was a food bar, evn a retarded mong would know that , and if you had to re-consult ur book about the first source, i would be very ashamed./
lol i am certain i will beat you all HAHAHAH

sanjay_88

HSC
Whoever was the fool who said the picture in the food question was a bathroom, You are an idiot. Firstly, it said a 'food bar in Pompeii' and secondly it was a thermopolium(thats the name for a food bar) in Pompeii and the holes in the benches were where they put hte food into and people took their food from inside them. So, trying to worry ppl by saying they were wrong and it is a bathroom is stupid, and so are you. There's no need to worry ppl like that and tell em to suck s***.

sanjay_88

HSC
Oh and Urgay, forgot to tell u ur a wanker in the last comment, coz ur NOT goin to beat everyone, i personally will hand it to u and ur cockiness will bring u a quick downfall.

urgay

HSC
oh and your gay
btw i am not cocky, this whole forum is designed, sadly, for ppl to show off omg i only wrote about the gay blah blah downfall of xerses mah mah, omg hpfully i still get 24/25.....
u guys are losersss yeh i know it was a food bar, i guarantee i got 4/4 becaus unlike some other losers who tried to obviously COMPENSATE for their lack of knowledge, by saying all shit about pristinas or watever and like taverns, u needed to mention commericalism-->foodbar--->thermopolia--->the round dishes doila, kept food warm, you ate standing up or take away
so there

rjharley

HSC
N/A
lol its kinda sad for anyone who studied ancient history to be scared by urgay's first comment. the source talked about ash and darkness lol, since when does that happen in an earthquake??

everyone seems to be quite confident, although my friend gets overconfident too and is always disappointed when marks come back, you dont get any marks for things that arent relevant to the question, and its kinda easy to get sidetracked in ancient history. also the people that left like 50min early, the exam is kinda designed to go for three hours so, i dont really know what to think, unless you can write with godly speed.

urgay

HSC
you said it RJHARLY gosh someone on my level-
hahaha overconfident=gay, but why act over confident and then panic about a clearly ovious question, to then say no im right
eww everyone on here smells likE POMPEII POO

Krit 100

HSC
urgay said:
oh and your gay
btw i am not cocky, this whole forum is designed, sadly, for ppl to show off omg i only wrote about the gay blah blah downfall of xerses mah mah, omg hpfully i still get 24/25.....
u guys are losersss yeh i know it was a food bar, i guarantee i got 4/4 becaus unlike some other losers who tried to obviously COMPENSATE for their lack of knowledge, by saying all shit about pristinas or watever and like taverns, u needed to mention commericalism-->foodbar--->thermopolia--->the round dishes doila, kept food warm, you ate standing up or take away
so there
Obviously UR GAY is a very knowledgable person. She has mocked all u people with the earthquake and bathroom joke and u all run into a frenzy. AS if any of you finished in like 2 hours and had a n hour to spare - in that case u most proabably will have failed. And that person who said they cldnt help themselves from laughing when they saw the questions ......... GET A LIFE!!!!!

urgay

HSC
HHAHAA KRIT100 we should seriously meet, ur totally the only person on here who has sense
gosh and for all those ppl who had an hour left, didnt you realise there were two sections on pompeii, god u guys mustn't have turned to the back of the second buff ccoloured sheets, you know the paper that had all the stuff on archaeology, and the poltical life in pompeii.... jtat wats my best bit

Krit 100

HSC
urgay said:
HHAHAA KRIT100 we should seriously meet, ur totally the only person on here who has sense
gosh and for all those ppl who had an hour left, didnt you realise there were two sections on pompeii, god u guys mustn't have turned to the back of the second buff ccoloured sheets, you know the paper that had all the stuff on archaeology, and the poltical life in pompeii.... jtat wats my best bit
ye the question on political life was awesome, definitiely one of my fav questions, i did well in it. Ye i only noticed when i had an hour to go that question on the over side of the buff book and the one on purely archaeology .. thank god for that one hour to spare or i wlda been toast...

urgay

HSC
WELL EVERYONE BETTER LISTEN UP, THERS GONNA BE AN VOLCANO AT POMPEII, IN CAMPANIA, WATCH OUT, PLINY NEWS EXTRA SAYS THAT IT MIGHT COVEER THE WHOLE CITY
if anyone talks to the ccommander of the fleet at misenum, can u pls tell him pliny the younger is really worried and he wants him to save ppl at the beach at stabaie.
ta, amen

Keskimo

HSC
Yeah I have to say I agree, if you prepared well you would have needed the three hours. And, although the Pompeii questions may have been 'easy', I think they expect a lot of detail and latin terms in your answers to get a band 6 - and it hasn't been examined before so you couldn't compare how you went with exemplar responses.
With regards to the Sparta agoge question, I think Ancient History marking is somewhat more holistic i.e. you wouldn't need to know the five stages to get five marks, unless you could think of a specific 'role' for each of them. I bombed on Spartan women because I thought they meant the Spartiates, not the helots and perieoci - dammit.

pirate!

HSC
WELL, I don't know about the rest of you, but in my classroom in was a very INTERESTING exam. Our supervisor person decided to talk to us beforehand, and after the reading time, both of which were slightly distracting. In the reading time, after seeing some of the questions, i did two things: a) i started laughing, and b) swearing.

It's very disconcerting when you see the person diagonally in front of you writing-writing-writing....filling up many booklets, when you yourself are having difficulty even finishing the ones you were given, on account of you didn't really study and didn't have any information to fill them with.

About an hour into the exam, a bird (it looked colourful, so I'm guessing a rainbow lorikeet), decided to fly straight into the window and cause a rather loud whack as it hit it. By far the biggest distraction, especially when you are sitting next said window, although it would have been even more distracting if the window was actually opened. That would have been very amusing.

It was also funny to see people start to leave in opposite rank order. Expected, I know, but nevertheless amusing.

Pompeii and its food can go away under its volcanic mush and continue to be buried. What was the first question about? Someone said they wrote about the effects as "people crying and wailing etc etc". I wrote about the pumice and the like. Is that incorrect?

Sparta was ok I spose.

Hatshepsut and NKE to TIV, should have always in my opinion, been left where they were and died. Worst. Topics. Ever. Unlucky me who doesn't like Egypt and yet had to sit through that woman blabbering about it for two terms, trying to *teach* it. THe term "teach" is used loosely.

Subsequently, after walking out of the exam to find this same woman flapping her arms around, excited because for some reason she thought it was an ok exam, I walked up to her and asked "Miss, what are Hatshepsut's foreign policies?"

She looked worried at this stage. By some luck and guess work/process of elimination, i did somewhat talk about the right stuff.

Last Ancient party ever. THANK THE LORD!

HilaryLush

HSC
happibear said:
OH no! wat polital and archaeology stuff????
i didnt see any of them in the paper. i think i missed these questions.... :eek: wat 2 sections???

i only see like 5questions there for pompei and herculaneum.
1. name the event
2. the affects on these ppeople
3. the food
4. the forum
5. technology - i was expecting ethical issue question, so i did really badly on this.

Is there more questions????
no, u saw the questions, they're talking about the forum question (aka political qu) and the technology qu (aka archaeology)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)