Your thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

sly_skittle

HSC
ScottyGEE said:
Hang on a tick...If you did amenhotep as the new kingdom society then akhenaten, how could you do seti I? new kingdom in the second section and akhenaten then new kingdom in the last section...
How does that work?
I did Society in New Kingdom Egypt to the death of Amenhotep III, Akhenaten as my personality and New Kingdom Egypt from Amenhotep III to the death of Ramesses II as my historical period- Seti I was one of the options

iLLUME

HSC
hmmm it was alright i guess ... didn't have much time for akhenaten though. A chick in my class left @ 10.30 ouch.

That pompeii question on eating was stupid but hopefully i bullshitted my way to 3 or 4 marks

gracerawl88

HSC
loved it!
pompeii... sexellent!
sparta, question on women... MWAH!!!
alexander.. didnt like the first q much, but still went good!
julio claudians.. did claudius, managed to fill a booklet!

quite happy!!! plus we got chocolate after! :D

insanerp

HSC
i thought it was a really good, fair paper.
i spent way to long doing the new kingdom question about Thutmose III, probably about an hour
but i was able to made a bit of time on hatshepsut which was pretty good and then i jumped into Pompeii. i owned that forum question but the 10-marker was a bit harder. then with 40 left i cruised throught sparta

overall a great paper i especially loved the new kingdom question although i would have liked a question on the social divisions in Sparta, you know, seeing as it's called SPARTAN SOCIETY!! :p

madelyn

HSC
It was SO relieving - I was expecting to fail for sure, instead my two day cramming session paid off and all the things I remembered best/studied most turned out to be in the exam - loved the Sparta questions, especially women and I thought foreign policy for Hatchepsut was great, I could think of a lot of analytical stuff to write for it. The only thing I found kind of hard and that everyone else seemed to find easy was P+H, but I suppose that's because I didn't really study it and was hoping to let the sources guide me...but it was pretty easy to ramble on about in the end.

sideshowtim

HSC
Pretty good paper. Pompeii was alright except that food question...what the fuck ninja?
Sparta was fine, generic questions.
Hatshepsut - Slaughtered the how she became pharaoh one, had read heaps on divine birth/coronation etc the night before
Er the one on foreign policy was a little weird but i just talked about how she was a consolidation pharaoh and talked a bit about her trip to punt etc.
NKE - did the thutmoses iii one...wrote about 5 pages with my tiny writing, lots of bullshit in there.

if i get over 70% i will be happy. ancient is by far my worst subject yet i think i went well in this exam.

zambian_dude

HSC
I found that exam about 100 times easier than i was expecting. I mean of all the things to throw at us... they throw very easy questions to us. And what about that forum question? I had that same question in my half yearly or trial..cant remember... so it was a cinch.
Then the pericles section...yet again an easy cinch as it was pretty much all pre exam questions same as with the Athenian society. The only bit I know I didnt do so well in was the marriage question and thats because I didnt study it as well...and I know I managed to scrounge atleast half marks for that! But boy oh boy... that Delian League question...way way too easy and thats not good! But I still found plenty to talk about for it so I think I did pretty good in that. Im pretty confiden tho... so Im really happy :) !!!

HilaryLush

HSC
I think it was a pretty good exam, but do people get marked down for writing using simple language? i swear i sounded like a two year old...

Spartan society - role of the agoge got me a bit...and i really had to think hard about the women stuff - especially with their religious role?What was their religious role?
P + H - not bad, bullshitted with that food question (were those black bowl thingys, stoves?), loved the last question - i'd just been practicing on that, especially with the lady of oplontis
Xerxes - ok, was my worst section in the trials, hopefully did better this time around...
Greek Word 500 -440 - Loved the Leonidas/Miltiades question, had just been practicing that stuff too, it seems like most people did Delian League though (I'm a bit surprised cause Persian Wars seemed heaps easier to me)

Overall it was an ok paper, everyone seems to have found it easy though...so you probably won't all be getting band 6's...
(i probably got band 4 or 5)
good luck with other exams everyone!

Last edited:

ScottyGEE

HSC
the only thing was was that the food uestion never asked for "your own knowledge" or "other sources"...so basically it was impossible to take it out of context and talk about other food places like bakeries....and I couldn't talk about brothels :(

*Lozzie*

HSC
it was ok i have done better

p+h ----- the forum question i hated cause i never remember what was in it and ran out of time before we went into the exam to go over my notes on it but the other stuff was ok ---- i was never good at p+h

akhenaten -------- legend gave me lots to write about his religous developments might of spent a bit long on it but i think i got most of it down

society --- new kingdomn egypt was good i miss spelt one of the religous festival i put otep festival instead of opet will that matter????? but yeah it was ok

period -------- amenhotep 3 to ramesses 2 good question might of forgotten some things and i didnt put in much evidence so ive done better period responses

glad its over only 2 exams to go business tomorrow then maths tues woohoo

amzi2

HSC
yeh yeh Pompeii was easy...
Minoans.... better than expected
Hatshepsut... may have stuffed up foreign policy bit...
Amen III to Ram II... let's not talk about that one...

The test was reasonably fair...
Seven pages? *jealous* but good on ya...

Not long now til its over... good luck

Cabrello

HSC
CORE: My teacher had actually given us those questions in the assessment tasks from the core, but I carked it on the forum, forgot the Maccelum. We'd done the Lady of Oplontis with a different focus and we'd done the food questions very very thoroughly

Spartan Society: Cakewalk. this is just what I focused on for most of the holidays because I screwed it up and got 13 in the trials. My sister was quizzing me and caught me out on Spartan women and Kings last night, lucky as anything there.

Cleopatra: I randomly bs my way through the second question but I talked to my teacher afterwards and they thought it was the best that I could do...I'm not sure if that was a complement or an insult.

Fall of the Republic: Hammered these essays because my teacher had picked option (a) for the assessments and option (b) was word for word from the trial. He was like jumping up and down when we got out of the hall, kinda scary actually. I suppose the luck makes up for being shocked with the English questions.

That's just me though, as a whole I thought the test wasn't that bad but the general agreement from my school was that the core was waaaay too short and the society as well, they'll probably put more written sources in next year or something to soak up more time. There's no way that was a three hour exam

e=mc2

HSC
i know for a fact my teacher never went through 'preparing for food' in pompeii and herculaneum

Loza2232

HSC
Hmm.. Pompeii- easy as. except for the food bit

Minoans- that was ok. Pretty easy questions

Hatshepsut- First question was easy as. Second question about foreign policy i had no clue.

Egypt New Kingdom- the question of Thut 3 was easy as.

Overall.. if i knew my work better i would feel more confident.

zambian_dude

HSC
yeah...nah i dont reckon i'll get band 6...unlikely, but im hoping for a band 5... i should...hmmm

purplepixie

HSC
Preparing food in Pompeii and Herculaneum, what the??
Other than that I felt section 2 was pretty good for me but the rest was bleh.

nallask8r

HSC
yeh no dramas with this exam...except the fricken food question in pompeii! the food bar had a stove or oven at the bottom of it eh?..anyways caesar was sweet, so was rome and sparta, yahoo...now for business...

Last edited:

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
How did alexander become king??
I didnt really have much to talk about for 10 marks here.
Just how his father was murdered and possible suspects... then Philips other wife and son. And problems in the empire he inherited.
Thats all i had....

Anything else?

HayleyRGardiner

HSC
i thought pompeii and herculaneum was pretty good (except the food thing, whered that come from?) thought sparta was ok except it would have been better if women was worth less and education was worth more, there so much more to talk about. Hatshepsut was ok, foreign policy threw me a bit though and NKE - TIV was excellent question wise - didnt write enough tho!

Overall generally happy...:)

raiders771

HSC
i just nailed the whole damn exam i loved it .... the lady of oplontis picture i looked at it yesterday and used it as practice so that worked out sweet.... minoans was good easy marks there..... hatshepsut wat can i say i loved it the best questions ever studied for it all night.... greek world loved the miltiades and leonidas question.... overall breezed through it with 55 minutes to spare i rekon ill get about 96% things are looking goood

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)