Your top 25 videogames of all time (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
stazi said:
runtlocks - look forward to reading your list. thanks for the comments and explanations. i also look forward to finishing mine and ordering it properly
Aye! You broke the chain you blasted fool!

:p

Thanks man, looking forward to your refined list :cool::uhhuh::cool:

Dave2007

HSC
Barely anyone has mentioned all the old lucasarts adventure games

Monkey island! full throttle! day of the tentacle!

Some of the best games ever, but I suppose there too old to really be available now.

But it seems alot of you have good taste. Fallout roxors, starcraft is a classic, and man those old nintendo games, oblivion amd total war definitely deserve their mention.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ill still write an essay.

add uplink: hacker elite to my list

stazi

Nightman
HSC
haha i am le tired. i need motivation

EDIT: have you played uplink?

Dave2007

HSC
stazi said:
haha i am le tired. i need motivation

EDIT: have you played uplink?
Is that that freeware hacking game? Looks like a dos program and you hack around the world? I think I played that...remember it was fairly decent.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Dave2007 said:
Is that that freeware hacking game? Looks like a dos program and you hack around the world? I think I played that...remember it was fairly decent.
nope. it's not freeware. it still has visuals, and you do hack around the world. but it is textbased, primarily. not like dos :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
My full list is finally here

1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (XBOX360, PC)
A game that keeps my attention for over 100 hours deserves the number one spot. Whilst I loved my 360 before the game came out, my 360 experience changed after I popped the disc in. The game is so beautiful to look at. The forests are so stunning, the towns beautiful, and the citizens: gorgeous. There is so much to do in this game, and the quests seem to never stop appearing. Becoming a master of each guild is also a challenge, as is the main quest. Minor expansion packs also keep your interest, and a major one coming out this Autumn will add another 30+ hours of gameplay.
The story is enchanting, as you grow to love and be curious about each of the characters you meet. There is such a mass plentitude of dialogue, that the script took up many boxes.
If you haven't played this game, go and do so (note: you'd need a powerful PC or xbox 360 to get the most out of this game).

2. Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
This is the first FF game that I played. This is probably why I consider it to be the best. I have vivid memories of being stuck at maths for my last period, thinking about how I can defeat the next boss in the game, about how the story will progress, etc. I then would run to catch the bus, in my own little Final Fantasy-induced 'dream land'.
I feel that I had an obligation to only mention one game out of the series, and forego the others. However, I would like to give the following titles an honourable mention. Each one is as good as the next.

3. Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2/XBOX)
I don't think I need to explain why GTA3 is placed so highly in this list. It was innovative, it was dynamic, it was captivating, it was fantastic. The amount of freedom that this game provided was unprecedented. I remember sitting there wide-jawed at the amount of things that could be done. The story was interesting, and unpredictable. The music... well, let's just say that it was the best soundtrack ever.

4. Viva Pinata (XBOX360)
Ok. This is by far the most difficult game to write about, ever. You are... a gardener... and pinatas visit... and you get them to stay....and sex each other... ... ... .. ... ... ummm yeah. Well, that's my best description. The problem with describing the game has translated to poor sales (despite the fantastic reviews). All I can say is, run out and get this game, if you have a 360. Play it for an hour. I guarantee that you'll be hooked. It's also a game that anyone can play: however, whilst a child will love it, an adult will get the most out of its depth.

5. Uplink: Hacker Elite (PC)
This primarily text-based game had a massive effect on me. I loved it. You play as a hacker, who needs to ... hack various databases for your clients, in return for money. You use this money to upgrade your computer, programs, etc. It sounds simple, but is a very deep game that I spent many hours playing. There's not much that you can write about it, so all I can do is urge you to try out the demo for this game.

6. Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow/Gh3y (Gameboys)
Pokeeeemon, gotta catch 'em all! Let's face it. Pokemon is a great game. Some of us are embarassed to admit how much we loved it, but it was a very deep and entertaining game. I think everyone on these forums would have played it, and I still enjoy a guilty go at newer released versions (and will certainly get the coming DS version).

7. Gears of War (XBOX360)
Firstly, I must say that I haven't played enough of this game. However, from my limited experience with it, I knew straight away that this is one of the best games of all time. Firstly, the graphics are better than anything that has ever been released on any console. Secondly, the gameplay is amazingly gripping. You actually feel fear as you navigate the game's corridors.

Another great thing about this game is the reloading mechanism. You press the reload button, and have to stop a cursor in the 'sweet spot' to have an 'active reload'. Following an active reload your bullets do more damage, and the time between that particular reload is decreased. I expect this feature will be copied by many games to come.

8. Saints' Row (XBOX 360)
Saints Row, isn't original, as it follows the GTA formula (i.e. the sandbox approach). Nonetheless, it shows us where the genre has evolved, featuring great graphics, a wide assortment of vehicles, fantastic music (not as good as GTA though) and some of the best voice acting to grace videogames. Saints Row is better than GTA3, or 4, for that matter.

9. Monkey Island Series (PC)
It's difficult to choose a single title out of the series, and I believe that they should be considered together. The series is, in my opinion, the funniest to grace our lives (with DOTT coming a close second). There's something so charming about loser-pirate Guybrush Threepwood and the many characters of monkey island that made me love the game.
The original also seemed to introduce combat into the adventure game genre...with a twist. You would battle other pirates using classic insults.
There is so much that Monkey Island does right, and nothing that it really fails in. I can't wait until 2010, when the next monkey Island game is projected to be released.

10. Day of the Tentacle (PC)
Another adventure game. This was, from memory, one of the first games I had ever played on PC. It is full of so much substance and character that it is worth playing, even today. The ability to rewrite history was also welcome, as were the constant barrage of jokes. Kudos to the developers for making such a classic game.

11. Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey/Exodus (PS1)
This was my first game for the PS, and one of my favourites. Abe, the protagonist has so much character that it's crazy. These games also does surprisingly much for a simple platformer. The characters are so over-the-top and hillarious, that these games has become a classic (and platinum title).

12. Syberia 1 and 2 (PC/XBOX)
As you can gather, I love adventure games. The Syberia series is made by a famous french animator, and the result is beautiful. The story is very captivating, and will affect you on a deep emotional level. You will fall in love with the characters you meet, and also be able to take away some political comments on technology and society, in general.

13. Dead Rising (XBOX360)
Despite the developers denying it, this game is very much based on Dawn of the Dead. The graphics are sensational. You have hundreds of zombies on screen without any slowdown. You can kill these zombies with virtually anything from a soccer ball, to a light-saber.
I have a tendency to play amazing games briefly, then move on to crappier ones, so I can have more time with the amazing games later on. I have done with Dead Rising.

My only main problem is that the difficulty level is way too hard. However, the game, overall, is fantastic in its openess, and number of things you can do in the 72 hour period until you are rescued.

14. NFL 2k5 (Xbox/PS2)
This is the best American Football game ever. Full stop. Unfortunately, thanks to EA's and the NFL's tactics, 2k sports can no longer make these games until about 2009. Whilst I don't remember the game that well, I remember that it was amazingly realistic. You actually felt each hit and the crowd pushing you on if you're playing at home. You could also play from a first person perspective. A great temporary end to the best NFL series to date.

15. Counter Strike (PC)
Quoting someone from my school, "CS isn't a game...it's a way of life". I discovered CS thanks to a friend in around year 8. I can't believe that it's still so popular and continues to be one of the most played games around. The premise is simple, but the execution is so flawless. It's also one of the most addictive games you'll ever play (apart from WoW, which i've entirely avoided due to that factor).

16. Splinter Cell (XBOX)
Splinter Cell showed off what the Xbox can do and redefined the stealth genre. I don't think that I need to say much about this game, apart from complimenting it for its innovation. The only problem I had with the game (and most of the series) was its complicated storyline.

17. Elite Beat Agents (DS)
Who would have thought that you could put together a fantastic rhythm game for the DS without seeming too tacky...or well, lame. Part DDR, and part ... well, I have no idea, this game features a very diverse soundtrack and a level of addiction that I have not experienced before. It's just so much fun to play!

18. Gran Turismo (PS)
Whilst the sequels have improved on the original, this has to be considered as the biggest leap between titles in a genre ever. Before GT, driving games were straight forward, had average graphics, and lacked depth. GT introduced license tests, gorgeous replays, hundreds of cars and races to the genre. The game has helped the GT series to be the best driving game series ever.

19. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
A Tony Hawk game had to make this list, considering the amount of time I've spent playing them. I believe that 3 captured the bulk of my time, thus it makes it into the list. Whilst the previous games were fantastic, 3 made the leap to the next generation of consoles (at the time) and featured great celebs such as Bam.

20. Timesplitters Series (Xbox/PS2
Timesplitters games are unique FPS titles. It is difficult to describe why they play so well, and to tell you the truth, I have no idea. The gameplay is just so much damn fun, that it's crazy. Shooting is different to other games. Why? I have no idea, it just is.
What is easy to explain, however, is the quirkiness and hillarity of the series - something very welcome for the FPS genre.

21. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (XBOX)
Stranger's Wrath features a new character called Stranger. Unlike the previous platformer titles, O:SW is a first-person shooter. The world is very dynamic, and mostly populated by chickens. The chickens all walk around gossiping, and it's fun observing them walk around and have their conversations that are different each time. You use various critters as ammo, including furby-type things. This is probably the most original FPS ever.

22. College Hoops 2k7 (XBOX360)
I love sports games. Every year, sports games tend to improve by a little bit. However, college hoops 2k7 is such a giant leap above its predecessor that it warrants a mention in the best games of all time. Thanks to the powerful 360, the atmosphere of college basketball (I went to school at UNC for a semester, so I know the atmosphere very well) is recreated. Hundreds of real life courts are included, as are coach likenesses, thousands of player likenesses, and hundreds of real chants. Online, it's a lag-free experience, which makes playing the game so much fun on all levels.

23. Test Drive: Unlimited (XBOX360)
Driving games are often plagued by their approach - you simply select a race, and then compete in it. TDU tries it very differently. You are free to drive around Hawaii as you please, buying up property, cars, competing in races, giving hitchhikers lifts, evading the police, etc. The cars are stunning to look at, especially from the in-car view and you never run out of things to do.
The roads are also populated with real people, as you automatically connect to the xbox live servers when you play. you can talk to those people and even challenge them to a race.
My only real gripe with the game is the traffic that sometimes gets in the way, causing the police to be after you.

24. Shadow of Memories/Destiny (PC/PS2)
This is one game that was released under dual titles based on its region. I played it on the PS2 and loved the concept - you have to keep going back in time to prevent people's death, however, if you change one small thing about the past; there is a buttefly effect. There were also numerous endings (probably about a dozen) based on your actions. My dad was watching me play but had to go to work, so he asked me to even videotape the game so that he could see what happens.

25. Yoshi's Island (DS)
Yoshi had always been my favourite Mario spin-off and the DS version makes it, in my opinion, the best Mario-related game ever. Packed with many minigames, and making full use of both screens, this is one of the best platformers ever.

Other honourable mentions:
-The rest of the GTA series
-Final fantasy 7, 9 and 10
-Pro Evolution Soccer series
-Fahrenheit
-Ninja Gaiden
-Chrono Trigger
-Phoenix Wright

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Call that a blooouuddy essay???????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p

Great list man, reading through your comments now, though there's a plentitude :)confused:, lol) of new gen stuff in there. The 360 must be a damn good console.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I think that as gaming consoles evolve, and time progresses, new games become better than older games. It's common sense. Each console (or upgraded PC) allows your system to handle more complex and innovative games. Some games still remain classics, but for instance, Saints Row is much better than GTA3, as the graphics are better, the gameplay is better, the variety of cars is better, the number of missions is greater, the world is bigger, etc etc (although I still put GTA3 ahead due to the fact that it gave birth to the genre).

You can easily see this pattern though everywhere:
Oblivion is better than Morrowind.
FFXII is probably better than FFVIII (apart from to purists, I guess)
Gran Turismo 4 would be better than 1

etc.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Not necessarily true, in my opinion. I'd much rather sit down and play a round of Super Mario Kart then Mario Kart 64. Sure the graphics improved, it was more complex, it allowed for more players but that's all I can really say about it. Same can be said about Mario: who the bloody hell is dumb enough to say that Sunshine is better than, say, Mario 3????

Gameplay is where the heart of the game lies, if the game is not fun, if the game is not compelling, then why the heck are you playing it? Regardless of technical advances in graphics, sound, capacity etc. there is nothing that can replace good old fashioned gameplay.

And I'll also testify that my list leans heavily on the nostalgic side.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
stazi said:
p.s. runtlocks, are you asian?
whhh---wwhaa????

eeeerrrrr :uhhuh:

How'd you know? Must be my affection towards Final Fantasy, Street Fighter and Starcraft that gave it away. But I guess you've had your doubts about it too, I mean DDR didn't make my list.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
runtlocks said:
Not necessarily true, in my opinion. I'd much rather sit down and play a round of Super Mario Kart then Mario Kart 64. Sure the graphics improved, it was more complex, it allowed for more players but that's all I can really say about it. Same can be said about Mario: who the bloody hell is dumb enough to say that Sunshine is better than, say, Mario 3????

Gameplay is where the heart of the game lies, if the game is not fun, if the game is not compelling, then why the heck are you playing it? Regardless of technical advances in graphics, sound, capacity etc. there is nothing that can replace good old fashioned gameplay.

And I'll also testify that my list leans heavily on the nostalgic side.
I think that as all the above evolve, so does gameplay. I find older games to be too simplistic at times.

runtlocks said:
whhh---wwhaa????

eeeerrrrr :uhhuh:

How'd you know? Must be my affection towards Final Fantasy, Street Fighter and Starcraft that gave it away. But I guess you've had your doubts about it too, I mean DDR didn't make my list.
Haha, your nickname sounds white, but your list was certainly veeeery asian. Lots of obscure titles that only asians seem to play :p

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Top 25? Too much, i'll just do top 10

1 - TES:Oblivion
Open ended, beautiful graphics, manages to capitvates me for days. Combat is wonderful, the dark brotherhood quest sucks you in and you feel like you're in an actual, living world. Need i say more?

2 - Final Fantasy 9
Brilliant storyline, the characters were complex. There was real emotion in the story, the music and fmv were truly captivating, a true masterpiece.

3 - Half-Life 2
World was captivating, it didn't have the best graphics. But it sure as hell as the most REALISTIC graphics. Everything was done carefully, and is testimony to Valve's genius in the creation of THE best FPS. Bar none.

4 - Civilisation 3/4
Addictive, simple and yet complex. Always resulted in "just one more go". And then it was 1:30 in the morning.

5 - Grandia 2
The emotions presented in this game was just stagerring. Its combat system was intelligent and very well thought out, and its story - and its characters all screamed of intelligence, complexity and emotion. The twist at the end was truly unexpected, a truly brilliant game

6 - GTA:SA
Fun to kill people, and it explored the aspects of a person making do in the ghetto. Its open-endness was its main selling point

7 - Grand Turismo 3/4
Despite the fact that it didn't feel like you going fast, it truly is a real driving simulator, where skill and technique is required to get past the challenging courses.

8 - Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee/Exodus
The gritty 2d world was full of life, the puzzles were challenging, tense and exhilarating, all at the same time. Too bad its discontinued.

9 - Age of Empires 2
Fun, simple combat. Campaigns were good, strategy was simple yet complex in certain aspects. A fun game to play.

10 - Super Mario 2/3/64/Sunshine
Fun to play. A great time-waster.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
stazi said:
I think that as all the above evolve, so does gameplay. I find older games to be too simplistic at times.
Fair call, though that's where the charm in much of the games I listed lie. Simplicity isn't such a bad thing at all, games such as Tetris and Pacman strive on it and they're absolutely timeless, and games that I don't mind sitting down and playing every once in a while.
stazi said:
Haha, your nickname sounds white, but your list was certainly veeeery asian. Lots of obscure titles that only asians seem to play :p
No DDR, though :rolleyes:

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
1. Uforia (NES)
2. Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
3. Manhunt (PS2)
4. GTA: San Andreas (PS2)
5. WWF No Mercy (N64)
6. Lylat Wars (N64)
7. Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
8. GTA: Vice City (PS2)
9. Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)
10. Goldeneye (N64)
11. Pokemon (Red/Blue) (Gameboy)
12. Mega Man III (NES)
13. Final Fantasy VII (PS)
14. Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
15. Turok 2 (N64)
16. Donkey Kong 64 (N64)
17. Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
18. Gears Of War (360)
19. Sonic The Hedgehog II (Sega)
20. Zelda Majoras Mask (N64)
21. Half Life (PC)
22. Worms Armeggedon (N64)
23. WWE Raw VS Smackdown 2007 (PS2)
24. Canis Canem Edit (or whatever that high school game is) (PS2)
25. Jak & Daxter (PS2)

order might be a bit shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)