Youth Allowance and Independence Test (1 Viewer)

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Hey guys,

I know this probably is irrelevant but I don't know where to stick this thread anymore. I'm thinking about getting youth allowance and I checked out centrelink for some info but I'm confused.
~ I'm thinking of moving out of home...does this make me independent already? So even if I don't fulfill the indepence conditions, I'll still get around $371 per fortnight?
~No independence conditions= less of a payment?
~If I only have one of the independent conditions, will I be seen as independent by centrelink?
:uhoh:
Anybody already getting or planning to get youth allowance? Could you guys explain?

Thanks!:uhhuh:

danz90

HSC
~Fire Jade~ said:
Hey guys,

I know this probably is irrelevant but I don't know where to stick this thread anymore. I'm thinking about getting youth allowance and I checked out centrelink for some info but I'm confused.
~ I'm thinking of moving out of home...does this make me independent already? So even if I don't fulfill the indepence conditions, I'll still get around $371 per fortnight?
~No independence conditions= less of a payment?
~If I only have one of the independent conditions, will I be seen as independent by centrelink?
:uhoh:
Anybody already getting or planning to get youth allowance? Could you guys explain?

Thanks!:uhhuh:
I think that once you move out of home, and at least 18, you are classified as independent, but i'm not 100% sure on this.

I applied a couple of days ago for Youth Allowance, since I'll be needing money to support me thru uni (not just for fees) and other expenses.
They said they forward all claims to Leichhardt Student Claims office, they assess all the information you provide, then within 2-3 weeks expect a reply by mail.

If you feel that your claim was rejected unfairly, you can always appeal that.

~Fire Jade~

HSC
I'm under 18? Then what does that make me? I won't be at home nor getting cash of my parents either! The weirdest thing is that on the centrelink internet page, they have the graph below posted up in....

Payment rates for Youth Allowance

....and it says that it depends on whether you're living or not living at home.
However, some youth allowance brochure and payment rates from another pdf...says it depends on whether you're independent or not....

Why couldn't they be a bit more simple on this.... :jedi:

danz90

HSC
~Fire Jade~ said:
I'm under 18? Then what does that make me? I won't be at home nor getting cash of my parents either! The weirdest thing is that on the centrelink internet page, they have the graph below posted up in....

Payment rates for Youth Allowance

....and it says that it depends on whether you're living or not living at home.
However, some youth allowance brochure and payment rates from another pdf...says it depends on whether you're independent or not....

Why couldn't they be a bit more simple on this.... :jedi:
I just had a look on the Centrelink site...

I was wrong in saying that if you move out and 18 or over, you are independent. Although, you would qualify for more if you are not living at home.

To be independent, there are certain critera, you can find Here

If you are not independent, then they still assess your parents' incomes, wealth etc. under the Parental Means test.

Good luck!

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Hey lilly1988, I think I fit the parents requirement, I don't fit any of the independence criteria and I'll be living away from home and paying rent....so where am I? Do I still get the $371?

~Fire Jade~

HSC
lilly1988 said:
Yup, you do. You just have to report your parents' income every two weeks.

From what I can tell though, until you're eighteen the money will go to your parents for them to pass on to you.
Do we *have* to report our parent's income, cos I'm moving away from them and isn't there like no dependency anymore?

And plus I'm not living with them anymore, so shouldn't I be getting the money (even if I'm under 18)?

Also, what's the parent's income limit...to be legible for Youth Allowance?
Thank you...so much lilly1988!!!! :spin:

~Fire Jade~

HSC
I clicked the link above and the first line says "This income test is effective from 1 January 2009. A parental income test applies if you are not considered independent."
So it means that the test is not needed if you prove yourself independent? And if you're independent, is there any other parental income test there?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
if you're classified 'independent' by centrelink, by fulfilling at least one of the independence criteria, there's no parental income test.

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Note that this is a *forum* and OMG, we actually discuss various things here!
Thanks. For. The. Obvious. Advice.

hannahxxx

HSC
I've been trying to get youth allowance for 2 years now (finished school in 2006). But because I generally do temporary work, I haven't been able to meet the 15 hrs p/w for 2 years requirement :( It's a pity because I live away from home, can't find a job at the moment, and am REALLY desperate for gov't assistance. It's kinda frustrating because you have people who take a gap year, live at home, don't pay any living expenses and then go to uni , get youth allowance straight away and don't need to work at all. One guy in one of my tuts at uni did exactly that, and he even said himself that he didn't think he deserved his payments, seeing as his parents were loaded and he just puts his payments in the bank for a car. So yeah, I will make the incredibly obvious statement that unfortunately government payments don't necessarily go to those most in need of them :(

~Fire Jade~

HSC
I've been trying to get youth allowance for 2 years now (finished school in 2006). But because I generally do temporary work, I haven't been able to meet the 15 hrs p/w for 2 years requirement :( It's a pity because I live away from home, can't find a job at the moment, and am REALLY desperate for gov't assistance. It's kinda frustrating because you have people who take a gap year, live at home, don't pay any living expenses and then go to uni , get youth allowance straight away and don't need to work at all. One guy in one of my tuts at uni did exactly that, and he even said himself that he didn't think he deserved his payments, seeing as his parents were loaded and he just puts his payments in the bank for a car. So yeah, I will make the incredibly obvious statement that unfortunately government payments don't necessarily go to those most in need of them :(

OMG, that really sucks! Can't you appeal?

КГБ

Banned
HSC
my parents dont earn much....this financial year $30K each. but they have assets. so..? am i eligible?

overRun

HSC
Yes i would get a youth allowance if i were u.

Once i turn 18 even though my dad is fairly wealthy iam gonna move in with my grandfather and get free money from the government doin nothin.

Thnk you TO the Australian government

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Could I be eligible for Newstart? I'm 21, living away from home, paying rent and looking for a full-time job. I've never earnt enough money to be considered "independent" for youth allowance, but I don't think the independence test applies to Newstart.

I'll take a full-time job as soon as I can find one, but I'm really struggling.

КГБ

Banned
HSC
Yes i would get a youth allowance if i were u.

Once i turn 18 even though my dad is fairly wealthy iam gonna move in with my grandfather and get free money from the government doin nothin.

Thnk you TO the Australian government
hmm.. but they have assets. and i live with my parents.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Could I be eligible for Newstart? I'm 21, living away from home, paying rent and looking for a full-time job. I've never earnt enough money to be considered "independent" for youth allowance, but I don't think the independence test applies to Newstart.

I'll take a full-time job as soon as I can find one, but I'm really struggling.
In short: Yes.

All you need to do to be eligible to receive Newstart is be:

• aged 21 or over, and
  • looking for paid work, and
  • prepared to enter into an activity agreement, and
  • not involved in industrial action.
Pretty much, Newstart is there to fill the gap between where you might be now, and you scoring a full-time job. So, you have to do 'activities' to maintain your payments until you get a job.

Have you finished study now though?

Also dude, if you're struggling to find a full-time job, have you tried the agencies?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)