Youth Exchange (1 Viewer)

NRuus

Australialainen Suomessa
HSC
Well I finished year 12 last year and I am on Rotary youth exchange in Finland for a year this year.

I have been here since January and will be here till January next year. It is the most amazing time of my life ever. I have met alot of people from all over the world... Started to learn Finnish and forgotten half the english I knew meaning I really have to think to know how to spell some stuff and say some stuff in english. I go to school here kind of sometimes but I don't have to worry about the pressure or anything.

The best thing is I get to travel around Europe as well. I have already been to St Petersburg, Russia and that was pretty awesome. It's not a place I ever expected to get to...

Also in two weeks I go on Eurotour for 19 days. Basically I travel around Europe on a bus for 19 days with about 100 or so other exchange students or something. We go to Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France-3 days in paris and at least 1 day in Nice, Monaco, Italy- we go to Venice and are 3 days in Italy, Austria, Czech Republic then back to Austria and through Germany, Denmark and Sweden again. I think this will be one of the most amazing experiences in my life as not many people get to see so many countries at once.

I think this is the best thing I could have done. I get to see the world a bit more and experience how other people live in other countries.

I was also wondering has anyone else here done something like this or are they planning on doing something like this. I myself think if a person gets the opportunity they should take it but what does everyone else think?

You can see my photos here:

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/nats_youth_exchange2007/

krazykrit

HSC
Hey there. I actually have been on exchange before and totally agree that it is a really awesome experience! I was also with Rotary, but did a much smaller exchange, 6 weeks in PA, USA. It was incredible! Anyway, I just thought that I would post a reply! How long do you have left?
Have fun.
Kristylee.

jazzmuzik

HSC
On the christmas/ New Year break when i was in year 10 (2005/6) i went to Canada on a Lions Youth Exchange, i had the best time ever! I stayed with a lovely host family in Saskatchewan (right in the central province of Canada) met so many lovely people,(so much to say, so i wont even try and elaborate) and then went via America on the way home (we did the Los Angleles thing for 3 days)
It was awesome highliy recomended.
Since then our family has also hosted a ducth girl who I got on with heaps, missing her.

Next year I'm desperate to go overseas again, particularly Europe to see my Ducth friend, live with my aunty whose moving to Dublin and visit my friend whose doing a gap year in england. So yeah Canada is also on the wish list.

Hope your haveing a great time, sounds like you are of course

biancaaa

HSC
NRuus: did you speak much Finnish before you went? I was thinking of applying for a Youth Exchange or Gap program, but the thought of going somewhere where I don't speak the language terrifies me. Is it as hard as I'm imagining?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
biancaaa said:
NRuus: did you speak much Finnish before you went? I was thinking of applying for a Youth Exchange or Gap program, but the thought of going somewhere where I don't speak the language terrifies me. Is it as hard as I'm imagining?
apparently Finnish is really hard, but i've also been told that you can get along okay with english at least in the big cities. i wouldn't worry too much, maybe take some basic conversational lessons, learn how to ask for stuff like directions and train tickets and all that, and get a dictionary/translator thing. i imagine it would be much the same for other european countries as well. good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)