youtube/google maps axed from ios6 (1 Viewer)

Rixon

swirv
HSC
http://mashable.com/2012/08/06/rip-youtube-iphone-app-2007-2012-why-you-wont-be-missed/

Back when the iPhone first launched, there was a joke about the YouTube app on it. One nerd, or tech reviewer, would describe it as a “dumbed-down YouTube experience.” To which another would shoot back: “is that even possible?”
Well, here we are, five years later. YouTube the service has gotten a whole lot stronger and smarter in so many ways (as well as a whole lot dumber in some of its corners — something which turns out to be exceedingly and eternally possible).
But the iPhone app, even transplanted to the iPad, has stayed exactly as dumb as it always was. It’ll find the YouTube content you want a third of the time, if you’re lucky. They should call it YouRoulette, because you never know what a search might bring.
No wonder iPhone users in the know long ago switched to simply going to m.youtube.com on Safari, where a lot more stuff is available. When I heard about that fix, I was mad as hell at myself for all the wasted time on the app.
And from whom did I hear it? From YouTube staffers themselves. Even they didn’t believe in the thing.
So it’s really not such a bummer to hear Monday’s news — Apple has dumped the YouTube app from the next iPhone/iPad operating system, iOS 6. It’s ostensibly because “our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended,” according to an Apple spokesperson.
I’m sure it has, but I’m also sure Apple couldn’t be more relieved about that. This is a company that cares about great design, about stuff that just works, and the YouTube app was never that. It was so hobbled, it reminded me of the awful old WAP mobile web browsers that Apple effectively destroyed with the iPhone.
SEE ALSO: YouTube App Will Not Be Included in iOS6 I’m also sure it’s just a coincidence that Apple is distancing itself from Google in general, for example replacing the Google Maps app in iOS6 with its own (called, confusingly enough, Maps). If you want the Google Maps iPhone app, chances are you’ll have to download it again — though what we don’t know is whether you’ll be able to make it the default for maps.
We do know that Google is working on a new YouTube app, according to the same Apple source. We’re still waiting for confirmation from YouTube.
SEE ALSO: Apple vs. Google: Which Maps App Is Best? Regardless, we’ll soon see the end of an app experience so poor, it couldn’t have made the iPhone look worse if the Android team had planted it there.
You’ll notice it’s one of the few original apps you can’t actually delete on your iPhone? Consider it deleted now, and good riddance.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Might not update because of this.

Hopefully nothing else changes- hope they add some good stuff

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The disappearance of Google maps isn't really a big deal to me, mainly because Apple's replacement looks pretty decent.

The Youtube app on the other hand, I used. Maybe Google will just release a third party app instead?

loapowm

Banned
HSC
The disappearance of Google maps isn't really a big deal to me, mainly because Apple's replacement looks pretty decent.

The Youtube app on the other hand, I used. Maybe Google will just release a third party app instead?
I believe there are already 3rd party apps which use Youtube

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
rip google maps public transport

then gain, i can always just use safari to access it anyway

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Google will just release a 3rd party app which can be updated much quicker anyway

Kostie100

HSC
The youtube app was crap and as the above poster said google will release an updated app which will be better than the old one. Also apple maps>google maps by the end of 2013. Already the apple maps are just as good as google maps from what i have seen. (I have the developers preview of IOS 6). Anyway IPhone 5 should be announced soon at an apple keynote ^_^ Can't wait!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sad to see the old trusted Youtube app disappear but hey if Google produces a better one then I'm all for it. As for maps, well, there were some serious limitations as anyone who has tried travelling with an iPod/iPhone but without data will know. Thankfully there is Offmaps which also is limited but at least it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)