yr 10 students query (1 Viewer)

steban

violin dude
HSC
Hey there, i was just wondering, how hard is english extension..? is it like super hard? or like, just a lil tough

im like a.....student who gets around 80% in english advanced, sumtimes 90, ok im in the 75+ range. is that like good enough..?

i didnt pick it at first but im going to give the teacher a lil hassel and try to change, but yeah, im likely to get through, but i just wanted to go into the course knowing ill do ok, rite now im not too sure, but im really interested in it, so was just wondering the leveel of difficulty, hope it isnt like insanely hard or anything.

HSC
N/A
Re: yr 10 students request

It's always worth trying. If you still find it's too tough after two terms (give it that long to settle - the transition from Yr 10 to Yr 11 can be pretty tough), then you can always drop it :)

Amaybro

HSC

glitterfairy said:
It's always worth trying. If you still find it's too tough after two terms (give it that long to settle - the transition from Yr 10 to Yr 11 can be pretty tough), then you can always drop it :)
I agree completly. Give it a shot!

As to the difficulty, in many ways i have found it easier than English Advanced. I don't mean to say its an easier course, i just mean that i found it a million times more interesting making it considerably easier to get through the workload.

dracnom

HSC

EE1 is harder than EA, but EE1 is so much more interesting therefore it reduces the difficulty, the difficulty of the subject is due to freedom... the syllabus isn't as tight as EA and lots of self study is demanded by the teachers. According to your marks you should try it out, you probably will do fine, but if you find it to hard don't continue it

dandel26

HSC

Its confusing, its not hard. After (it takes a longggggggg time) you work everything out, its relatively easy. That said, getting a good mark is hard.

HSC
N/A

I actually found EE1 easier, for the most part. Mainly because there's more time spent on fewer prescribed texts...

I agree with dandel that it tends to take a bit more time to "get", but once you've got it it's freakin' awesome :D

stacey**

HSC
Find out what topics you'll be studying and then see if you like it- We did women in the 19th century and then individual and society and it's not a very boy-related topic- see if you like the topics or not. and be prepared to be creative too

Graham Trevor

HSC
If the class has chosen to study the Retreat from the Global module, then you're in for an excruciating 2 years.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Graham Trevor said:
If the class has chosen to study the Retreat from the Global module, then you're in for an excruciating 2 years.
The year 12 module Retreat from the Global does not go for two years, nor do any of the other Extension modules.

steban said:
Hey there, i was just wondering, how hard is english extension..? is it like super hard? or like, just a lil tough

im like a.....student who gets around 80% in english advanced, sumtimes 90, ok im in the 75+ range. is that like good enough..?
Extension isn't that hard, you just need to try to think about it (as opposed to just memorising a bunch of stuff) a bit more than advanced. You might find that is heaps better for the way you learn or it might not be - its all up to you.

I also wouldn't guide the ability to excell in Extension with your marks in Advanced - unlike say Music or Mathematics this Extension does not expand directly on the same content, rather its about developing additional skills to complement those formed in Advanced (the same applies regarding Extension 2 and the other English courses too btw). I'd also mention that the skills you develop in Extension are a great grounding for courses like Communications, Media & Creative Writing at university (among others), so if you have any interest in those areas you might want to try this out for size.

However on the flipside [and this should be obvious], if you're having trouble with Advanced because of reasons like: the essays are too long, its too much reading, english isn't that interesting etc. then have a hard think about whether you want to try Extension.

My advice, in echo of others, would be to try it out for a while and see what you think because you can always drop later (conversely you can't pick it up whenever).

HSC

english extension, i found is easier then advanced. it is one of my favourite subjects and i find it much more interesting then advanced. if u can do it, give it a try... its an enjoyable course.

HSC
Graham Trevor said:
Well that's just your opinion. I happened to really enjoy that elective. I have a really good teacher and most of my class found the course really interesting.

Here's some better advice steban - don't listen to what other people tell you. At the end of the day, everyone has a different opinion on a subject, and the best judge of what's right for you is... well... you. :)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Personally I have so far found it to be a very challenging, but interesting course.

Its important that you enjoy and are good at english. You dont have to be a genius - you can do well if you are good at english and very dedicated. If you are willing to put the hard work in, than you will go well and enjoy the course.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Judging by your sig, it seems you've taken on board english extension so good luck with it!

Prelim ee1 was easier than advanced for me (more interesting too) however by hsc they start applying more pressure in terms of the level of sophistication required in responses and the like so be prepared for that :)

kloudsurfer

HSC
bobness said:
Judging by your sig, it seems you've taken on board english extension so good luck with it!

Prelim ee1 was easier than advanced for me (more interesting too) however by hsc they start applying more pressure in terms of the level of sophistication required in responses and the like so be prepared for that :)
So true. Last year was a breeze for me. I got an assesment task today. And almost cried. :(

But yeah, do EE1, its great.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
So true. Last year was a breeze for me. I got an assesment task today. And almost cried. :(

But yeah, do EE1, its great.
How hard is your assesment?

See what assesments your school gives out at my school we have to do a 15minute presentation on 2 texts.

Im not looking forward to HSC EE1, yr 11 was easy though.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I cannot stress this enough - Yr 11 EE1 is set by your school. It could be "alright", "easy", or even "ridiculously hard but alright in comparison to the HSC".

My Yr 11 EE1 year was very almost HSC standard. My entire class thought we'd die (more than a few of us burst into tears in frustration, I think... or was that just me?), but on the bright side we found the HSC year alright in comparison. I don't know which is better... technically the way I learnt gave us more time to get a feel for the content (the only thing I really had to improve on in Yr 12 was writing style and analytical skills), but by the same token the whole "diving into the deep end" can really send you into a headspin, which isn't good either...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Year 11s get to do Frankenstein in EE1! That's alright :)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Depends what kind of teacher you have. I know of one where the class did nothing at all. The teacher all he did was read chapters out of a book. The only assesment they had was an in class essay that eventually turned into a home essay to be done by a certain date in which only 2 people did, but they all passed. However for their HSC they got the most awesome teacher and all got band E4s to those congrats guys!

Try it out. It's only prelims and only 1 unit.

steban

violin dude
HSC
ahaha, so good so far, we are like studying the values of texts....so far a lil boring, but looks like it was get better, the girls in my class seem very excited that we get to watch 'pretty women' later on in the course.

jaaaaay

HSC
definately at least try eng ext... i tend to do better in eng ext than advanced...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)