• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Yr 12 Chem (medicine) (1 Viewer)

leekiss

HSC
Hey,

I'm hoping to study medicine in 2007. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me which Aus universities require Yr 12 Chemistry as a prerequisite for med entry.
Also, those universities that require chem as a prerequisite, do they ever make any exceptions for people who didn't study chem in year 12?

Thanks

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If you're going straight from school to uni then no exeptions. If you have done something at least equivalent to year 12 chemistry before starting the medicine course (in my case it was first year chem at university) then yes.

jeremiahk

HSC
Just take chem, its a good subject to take, one of those high reward subjects.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
it's good to have a background in chemistry (even if it sucks.. and i think uni chem sucked)

then you'll understand physiology and biochem much easier and save yourself a lot of confusion later on.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Uni chem was hella fun! Well, at least, organic was. To all the UTS types, you know what I'm talking about when I say John Kalman is the KING.

Keen

MD
HSC
Hmn, chem=evil, not as evil as physics. Yeah, I think some of the uni's require it (definitly Monash), do it if you like it and like all that sciency maths. But yeah no exceptions are made for y12 entry when it is required (eg. Uni Adelaide has no prerequisites - and in my opinion is really needed for the course).
All the best

Keen

nesso

i did some research...

I didnt do chem in hsc and that was one of the best decisions i made because....i dropped in in year 11 coz the teacher really sucked
and i ended up getting a band 6 in modern history instead :)
u dont need prerequisites for UNSW or Newcastle uni and i say do the subjects u and enjoy and will give u the best UAI coz u will need for unsw especially an insanely good uai....they say 95 is the cutoff so bullshit...coz if u only get 95 u need like the top umat mark and that exam is nasty....

u do need chem however if u want to do med in victoria or charles sturt in townsville... i forget about gold coast... so u are by not doing chem forgoing opportunities to get into med out of nsw

remember there is always post grad

Zali

HSC
nesso said:
charles sturt in townsville...
ha ha i think u mean James Cook. Charlse Sturt is Wagga Wagga western NSW n doesnt offer medicine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)