Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
I don't understand where the argument "maths isn't creative" comes from.

In my free period a few weeks back, I had an argument with this girl because she was so convinced that maths had absolutely no creativity involved in it at all.

The nature of maths itself is creative, it's not like numbers were given to us and we were told "this is how everything works". The fact that we, as human beings, have managed to create a system that defines pretty much everything around us into algorithms is more creative than anything I can think of atm.
+1

I don't know how people don't find it amazing that this system we created is all interlinked. And just the plain fact that it all 'works'.

deloving

HSC
Anyone else just hate creative writing? It's stopping me from ranking first in the year in English - I wish we just did an essay for every assessment.

russ3l

HSC
Anyone else just hate creative writing? It's stopping me from ranking first in the year in English - I wish we just did an essay for every assessment.
I haven't gotten assessed on creative writing :( damn

Wonder

HSC
While I personally like creative writing, I agree that it can be a pain to do in English. At the moment I have an assignment to write a short story on betrayal, and everything I can think of sounds so cheesy! Not looking forward to writing about belonging in Year 12. ><

deloving

HSC
I haven't gotten assessed on creative writing :( damn
Lucky...

While I personally like creative writing, I agree that it can be a pain to do in English. At the moment I have an assignment to write a short story on betrayal, and everything I can think of sounds so cheesy! Not looking forward to writing about belonging in Year 12. ><
I have so far done 2 essays and 2 narratives this year. Next I am expected to do: "Write a short story that focuses on the themes and characteristics of a Shakespearean villain (Macbeth). Marks will be awarded based on your ability to represent a Shakespearean villain and effective use of the format of a creative wiring piece. This may be in modern context." And alongside that an essay, also on Macbeth.

russ3l

HSC

have you thought about the character betraying himself, instead of others? That would be a none cliche thing to do. :)

I have so far done 2 essays and 2 narratives this year. Next I am expected to do: "Write a short story that focuses on the themes and characteristics of a Shakespearean villain (Macbeth). Marks will be awarded based on your ability to represent a Shakespearean villain and effective use of the format of a creative wiring piece. This may be in modern context." And alongside that an essay, also on Macbeth.
ooo, sounds exciting :) wish i did that instead of an essay

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Don't even remind me of creative.

I have my english yearlies on Wednesday and there's a creative section in it.

sdjfhskdfhsd

Fawun

Queen
HSC
I'd rather an essay over a creative any day.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Don't even remind me of creative.

I have my english yearlies on Wednesday and there's a creative section in it.

sdjfhskdfhsd
How weird, I've never had a creative section in any of my English exams.

Wonder

HSC
I totally agree that having creative writing in exams is a pain, though. I've never had one for school before, but my result in the Year 7 NAPLAN writing (I remember it being a creative that year) gives me a general idea...

It's a shame, like I said I really like creative writing personally, but in English it doesn't feel very creative.

have you thought about the character betraying himself, instead of others? That would be a none cliche thing to do.
Hmm that's an interesting idea! Thanks, will think about it.

deloving

HSC
I'm happy with my school's English department - it has amazing teachers - but they've been killing me with the creative writing. 3 essays, 1 speech, 3 narratives. They will definitely make us do another narrative next term for our yearlies.

youngsky

poof
HSC
I'm happy with my school's English department - it has amazing teachers - but they've been killing me with the creative writing. 3 essays, 1 speech, 3 narratives. They will definitely make us do another narrative next term for our yearlies.
May the heavens help you, my school hasn't had any english creative writing tasks for about 1 and a half years now :/

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
The English faculty at our school is, on the whole, pretty terrible. All the good teachers have either retired or left. :(
I really hate creative writing. It's impossible for me to write a decent short story in 40 minutes. I don't even understand how teachers mark them... everything's so subjective in English. :(
I gather inspiration from looking out a window. Think about the experiences you've had in your life and perhaps write about those if you're stuck. Remember, never begin writing your story unless you already have your ending planned (it helps a lot to get into this habit).

russ3l

HSC
My school is assessing me on creative writing in term 4. It's a shame however because it will be more inclined to naplan creative writing stuff, not concepts/topics. Can't wait to compose a decent piece of writing for journey nxt year...

kev-kun

HSC
My school is assessing me on creative writing in term 4. It's a shame however because it will be more inclined to naplan creative writing stuff, not concepts/topics. Can't wait to compose a decent piece of writing for journey nxt year...
Wow quite the coincidence... My school is doing the same thing, having creative writing as a topic and that would be our term 4 exams 0.0

iEatOysters

HSC
I gather inspiration from looking out a window. Think about the experiences you've had in your life and perhaps write about those if you're stuck. Remember, never begin writing your story unless you already have your ending planned (it helps a lot to get into this habit).
Thanks!! :D
But one question, how do you avoid making the story sound cheesy and cliche? My stories always have horrible, cringeworthy endings. :/

StephanieMit

HSC
Thanks!! :D
But one question, how do you avoid making the story sound cheesy and cliche? My stories always have horrible, cringeworthy endings. :/
I'm getting tested in creative writing too! With your stories, make sure you always have a climax and just keep practicing. Just don't switch from first person to narrator cause you'll make the reader confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)