• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

acturial studies (im in 12) (2 Viewers)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
LOL kool thanks guys its actually cleared up a few things for me

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
Do you guys think those accounting cadetships (big 4) are worth taking in terms of professional experience to help gain a finance/actuarial position down the track.

Basically (if u dont already know), the cadetship constitutes 2 yr ft with the firm while doing uni pt, and the next 2 years ft uni up to graduation and vacation work. Then another two years to undertake the CA program which is 6 years in total for a bcom degree, the CA and 2 years accounting experience.

I believe they may be irrelevant in the experience they offer if som1 is interested in a finance/actuarial + banking field in say mac bank for example.

However, they may be useful for increasing skills not offered by uni, like social skills and making networks in the professional world.

Also, they require that an accounting major be completed which may hinder completing as many actuarial exemptions as possible and the CA program after u graduate.

Id like to know your thoughts on if these cadetships are helpful in equipping a person for a future career in the finance industry.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
kunny funt said:
Do you guys think those accounting cadetships (big 4) are worth taking in terms of professional experience to help gain a finance/actuarial position down the track.
I personally have had 2 bad experiences with students on accounting cadetships.

1. This student (majoring in accounting, on a cadetship with an accounting firm), always tried to shortcut their assigned question - even still, relying on us to "fill in the gaps". Student eventually falied ACCG100 and transfered.
2. This part time student only came to uni on one day. Our group made arrangements to meet at a time convienent to him - but alas, on 2 arragements , he failed to meet up - and did not attend the tutorials. No input from him, so we wrote him off our group. I dont know where he is to this day.

So, handling full time work with part time study would be very difficult.

kunny funt said:
However, they may be useful for increasing skills not offered by uni, like social skills and making networks in the professional world.
That would be the greatest advantage - having lots of experience and connections in the industry.
I think it would be best to finish your 2nd year, then hunt down a job in your field (acturial) during the summer.

flamin'

Well a cadetship like that is invaluable - even if you prefer ACST. I would do it... its a huge opportunity and you have a huge huge advantage over anyone else. You would be nuts not to apply for it in my opinion. Handling full time work and studying is hard... yes... but not impossible.

Even if you have a few fails.... the experience more than makes up for it in my opinion.... well you would have gauranteed work anyways so a F on your transcript won't matter really.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
the problem lies in the fact that i am not interested in accounting as such and want to do work that is more mathematically applied.

The primary concern behind acst is oviously its difficulty level and if i can get a job in this field in the future.

My initial intention was to use the cadetship just to gain experience, and do acst/accounting at unsw as mq doesnt offer it however i feel now that devoting myself to acst alone will better my chances.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
flamin' said:
Even if you have a few fails.... the experience more than makes up for it in my opinion.... well you would have gauranteed work anyways so a F on your transcript won't matter really.
Isn't there a policy for cadetships ? i.e, maintain a certain mark...

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Kunny Funt, I can relate to your situation. In yr 12 i didn't apply for any of the coops coz i dint wanna do accounting. I wanted to do actuarial studies! But I'm with flamin' on this one. Now that I'm in 2nd yr, I look back and I think maybe I should've applied. Finding a job is a really hard thing to do for grads. And if you can bags yourself one, you've set your future. Walk into lectures with a suit with your fancy watch and briefcase. It's class man.
I've met unsw coop ppl at parties and they all seem outgoing and got money to burn. I really envy them.

It's some sense of security. I like to think of doing actuarial studies as gambling with your life. There's lots of glory to claim if you're successful, but there's also a high probability of failure, depression, suicides etc.

Grizzly said:
I think it would be best to finish your 2nd year, then hunt down a job in your field (acturial) during the summer.
Yeah, but landing a vacation job at end of 2nd yr is really hard. It's hard enough if you're in 3rd yr, but 2nd yr even more so coz u gotta compete against 3rd yrs who have more knowledge than you. You gotta have fully sick resumes and good at interviews like me and flamin' to get one of those =p.

Final decision is up to you Kunny Funt. Depends on how smart you are and how confident you are. If you think you got the brains to cruise through actuarials and the talk to get you a job, den go for it.

flamin'

Grizzly said:
Isn't there a policy for cadetships ? i.e, maintain a certain mark...
Cadetships are from year 12... they just have your year 12 report really...

Agree with Malachite.... YOU NEED EXCEPTIONAL COVER LETTER WRITING SKILLS, and a BLOODY GREAT RESUME to be able to even get an interview... as well as decent marks... or... know someone who works where you are applying...

My resume isn't that top notch....

kunnyfunt, I would recommend you go for it. Accountants probably can go further than Actuarials (in terms of managerial roles). Most CEOs these days come from CFOs which are accountants.

Easy to go back and get Actuarial degree if you really want it. Oppurtunities shouldn't be wasted =)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
flamin' said:
Agree with Malachite.... YOU NEED EXCEPTIONAL COVER LETTER WRITING SKILLS, and a BLOODY GREAT RESUME to be able to even get an interview... as well as decent marks... or... know someone who works where you are applying...

My resume isn't that top notch....
What defines a top notch resume anyway ? Not just for you acturials :p

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Grizzly said:
What defines a top notch resume anyway ? Not just for you acturials :p
Not in order of importance:

* academic awards - eg. if u came 1st or 2nd in some national competition...that's handy. uni merit lists, scholarships etc

* relevant work experience

* extra curricular activites - eg. involvement in student societies, clubs etc.

You gotta create image that you're bright and socially active. Good communication skills, good customer service skills, initiative skills.

-----
Then finally in interview u gotta make sure u have the experience to answer all their questions. Sometimes, you've been through alot and your answer really hits the spot.
And of course u work it so they like you. They won't hire you if they don't enjoy working with you.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
When we say, good grades ? Like, do you include your GPA on your resume ? :eek: (before your grad)...
does the employer check it with the uni ?

bigredboof

HSC
Hi All,

Id just like to tell of my experience. Im doing actuarial studies, and finished High School in 2002.
I knew i would hate uni full time (and did) when I started, and knew i would rather be working. For the first semster of 2003 i was at uni full time and hated it. Hence once the semster finished i started looking for a job in an Investment Company to kickstart my career. (note this is not a scholarship or cadetship, it is purely working) I was able to get an entry level role in Australia's largest investment bank and i havn't looked back. Sure, this is my second year of uni, still finishing first year subjects (as i work full time and go to uni part time doing two subjects) however the experience I gain there is alot more valuable to me.
As this was an entry level role, your not competing against many people like a grad role, and you can prove yourself as you continue working.

Also for all actuaries, my work is not related to actuarial studies, however if you enter the finance arena, i feel any knowledge is priceless!! Plus, there are a few fully qualified actuaries I know of at my company, none of which work as "actuaries", rather use their actuarial skills instead in their roles and they are absolutely flyin'.

So thats just a couple of thing to think about, and possibly another avenue to take. The only prob is finding a company who will allow flexibility in hours as from 2nd year onwards, ACST subjects are pretty much all day subjects.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Grizzly said:
When we say, good grades ? Like, do you include your GPA on your resume ? :eek: (before your grad)...
does the employer check it with the uni ?
Most of the time they expect you to attach your official academic transcript along with ur resume. You have to buy one from student enquiry. From memory it was 18 dollars.
From the people I know who've gotten vacation jobs, your grades aren't first priority. Generally, a credit average would be accepted. The higher the better of course.

edit:
bigredboof sounds like shes got it set ^^. And I reckon I have anb idea of who u r too =p

Last edited:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
you kidding? u dunno who i am, but im like ur biggest stalker! nah jk

i dunno wot flyn's msg was about..but judging from ur nickname ur the dark red head gal who used to always chat wiv george, mina etc during lectures? u disappeared soemtime cant remember if it was start of this yr or last yr...everything pieces together!

and here i was finking u dropped actuarial ^^

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
now now...theres plenty of stalker threads in the mq section...leave this one on topic.
Since we are off topic, we saw u play cards again mala ! omg, go study !!!:p ;)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Grizzly said:
Since we are off topic, we saw u play cards again mala ! omg, go study !!!:p ;)
whose "we"?
i kept an eye out for grizzly bears but still cant find u =p

bigredboof said:
OMG thats me!!
who areyou?? Can I have a hint???
take two steps the ur right and look out the window...see that guy down the st with a pair of binoculars..nah jk
i dun fink u know who i am. but u know isaac right? im the azn guy who sat wiv him in lectures last yr.

flyin' said:
he's the person who tries to be cool =D
And this person is the guy who tries to be uncool. He unleashes his coolness for this forum only coz if he did it at uni all the gals would faint like in those michael jackson concerts how they get carried out in stretchers and they're crying and screaming "i love u michael" and sometimes it happens to guys too and they're like..*ok back to study*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)