acturial studies (im in 12) (1 Viewer)

flamin'

Not many ruse people in our year are doing law/acst combined. There were about 3 ruse guys who were doing it... but they all dropped it coz it got so hard.... Its probably not being such a genius in doing law, but more about knowing how to bull crap for the tutes and handling the massive amounts of readings.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
how hard is it to get a gpa of 3 in first year so u can transfer?

is it like a doable thing or ppl struggle to get it?

also what is the actuarial/appliedfinan likely to go up to for 05?

emeka

HSC
N/A
hey how come actuary is so popular but ive read somewhere that thers a high demand for jobs? is this cos alot of the pple fail?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
kunny funt said:
how hard is it to get a gpa of 3 in first year so u can transfer?

is it like a doable thing or ppl struggle to get it?

also what is the actuarial/appliedfinan likely to go up to for 05?
If you're prepared to work hard like an actuarial student, then a gpa 3 isn't hard in first yr, especially if you're not doing actuarial core subjects. As an indicator, I'd suggest that if u dun get gpa of at least 3 in first yr for transfer, its prolly for the best in long run outlook, coz it gets alot harder n im feeling it baaaaad. ="(

and as for uai, ur guess is as good as mine.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
i belive it will b goin up...i jus expect it neway hmm i hope i get into some sort of actuarial course i dunno wot is gonna happen, in that respect, if i dont get into actuarial(like fall JUST short) [god forbid :p] wot related discipline do yall recommend...com/law ? app fin/llb ?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Supra said:
wot related discipline do yall recommend...com/law ? app fin/llb ?
B economics (econometrics) + b applied finance ?

What you acst's think ?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
well when i fink of econometrics i think stat171...booooorrringggg.... and applied finance i think accg253....zzZZZzzzzZZZzZZZzzz...

but thats juz me

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
having enjoyed 4u and eco at school, i am still unsure of if i will like actuarial studies.

do u guys find that u enjoy this course? or are u doing it for the (possibly exaggerated?) financial benefits of a career in the field?

i know there is a large droupout rate for this course, what are the likely reasons behind this trend? - do ppl slacken off in uni or is the course just really really hard?
and wat do these dropouts end up doing?

also will i ever need permuations and combinations, im presuming i will.

bobbinbrisco

HSC
All those students comtemplating doing Actuarial Studies don't goto Macquarie Uni. Avoid it, it's a shitty uni with a shitty department.

Goto UNSW for Actuarial Studies.

flamin'

All those students CONTEMPLATING doing Actuarial Studies GO TO Macquarie University. Embrace it, it's a good uni with a well-educated, well-structured and prestigious department.

GO TO Macquarie University for Actuarial Studies.

Macquarie has the experience in Actuarial Studies, which means we are more recognised. UNSW is still too n00b. It's probably true that UNSW have better seats in lectures... and a lot more asians... but thats all they've got.

kunnyfunt... permutations and combinations you need for like 2/3 weeks worth of work in 1st year.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
kunny funt said:
having enjoyed 4u and eco at school, i am still unsure of if i will like actuarial studies.

do u guys find that u enjoy this course? or are u doing it for the (possibly exaggerated?) financial benefits of a career in the field?

i know there is a large droupout rate for this course, what are the likely reasons behind this trend? - do ppl slacken off in uni or is the course just really really hard?
and wat do these dropouts end up doing?

also will i ever need permuations and combinations, im presuming i will.
1. Yeah its really really hard. Probably end up doing a Commerce and App fin degree but major in accounting or do economics , entirely up to them.
2. Yeah, you'd use permuations and combinations for your first statistics subject, STAT171.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
ok so actuarial @ nsw is an option if i fall jus a bit short of the cut off, if i fall further i shudnt b doin actuarial, then i cud do nething...hmm ive got a lot of options we'llc wot happens in december...
Also, merchant banking, ive heard a little bit about that, wot courses in maq wud b appropriate for that

Additionally, if perms and combinations r only first yr, wot else do u do...i always presumed that actuarial wud involve the aforementioned topics right thru out

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
No, its only a little perms/combins
But u'd have to do other maths subs, like, MATH133 which involves matrices...

If you fall under teh cut off - but still want to do it, just try your hardest in your 1st year subs - and get a internal xfer...cept you gotta maintain a credit/distinction average to get into sum of the latter acst subs.

flamin'

Supra said:
Additionally, if perms and combinations r only first yr, wot else do u do...i always presumed that actuarial wud involve the aforementioned topics right thru out
1st year is a very broad overview of what you do. 2nd year subjects is a lot more focused as it should be.

In Stats: integration and a bit of probability (with integration - not probability with permutations and combinations), a lot of work with distributions and hypothesis testing.

In Acst: very mathematical and hard... a lot of things are covered like time series, simulation, financial mathematics etc.

You gotta work a fair bit to just understand some of the crap thats there....

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
You use perms and combs to work out how many ways u can arrange things. That's not really what an actuary does.

You learn different commonly recognised distributions in stats. Then in acst you design models that regress on certain variables.
You'll find expected values etc which involves probability densities and integration (heaps more hardcore than 4u stuff), find limits, whether process converges etc etc.

I find that the course is partly hard because unlike other subjects like say econ or accg, we're given very little resoures. All we end up with is lecturer notes (which you won't understand unless you goto lectures and take notes). Nothing is trivial. Lot's of problem solving...*i need to study now*

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
*i need to study now*
Yeah~! you n' flamin stop playing cards like you wer' in the cafe today :p

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
flyin' said:
It's hard to say whether actuarial is hard cos people these days are more persistent and stay around longer (to redo units).

All I can say is, 2nd year isn't that much fun. Less subjects but all the subjects need studying alas.
I'm guessing its just natural selection - only the best survive :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)