acturial studies (im in 12) (1 Viewer)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
internal transfers are based on supply and demand and i think u normally need gpa of around 3-3.5, so thats credit/distinction. To not fall behind in too many units, u'd take some actuarial units available to you as a accounting/finance student in first year and then make the transfer.

but like flyn and i have emphasised so many times, if u cant get uai ~96/97 and get into the single degree, don't transfer to actuarial studies. its a really really hard course...

aditya

HSC
yeh fair enough... thanks for that

by the way are u saying for the internal transfer they dunt take into account your uai?

so it would be teh same for law? assumming the supply/demand thing?

thanks! *SIGH OF RELIEF*

hu cares if its hard, u can always go down u cant always go up ;)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
aditya said:
yeh fair enough... thanks for that

by the way are u saying for the internal transfer they dunt take into account your uai?

so it would be teh same for law? assumming the supply/demand thing?

thanks! *SIGH OF RELIEF*

hu cares if its hard, u can always go down u cant always go up ;)

>> Internal transfers don't look at your uai as far as i know.

>> same as law, and anything else

>> Contrary to your last statement, that's not necessarily true. If you do bad in actuarial (since it's hard), you're gpa will look like cr@p and any transfers to other unis would have a low success rate. In terms of transfering internally, same thing, but not as bad because you can still be enrolled in actuarial, but just do units set for other degrees.
But look at it this way (note: im not saying this is you). Imagine someone doing ok in their non actuarial units and have perfect gpa (which from an actuarial student's point of view is pretty simple if ur in first yr - ie. if the amount of work u put into actuarial subjects are used on non actuarial subjects, you'd completely kill). Then that person transfers to actuarial and gets bombarded with acst211, stat272, stat271, acst243...pwned...gpa 1.5.....go back to original course 1 yr behind with lousy gpa.

So it's a gamble....
ppl doing actuarial are gambling with their lives. And even if u get through, u still gotta find a job, which is pretty hard.

You have to be able to cope wiv all that stress and pressure. And imo if u couldnt even get 97 uai in ur hsc den u dun got wat it takes. u'll say u'lll work hard etc etc, but man....i dunno....unless ur like a monk or sumfin....i dun fink ppl have that kinda discipline.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
they're not based on supply and demand?
but each yr can only have around 200 max, so wat if another 100 ppl all with gpa >3.5 wanna transfer?

bobbinbrisco

HSC
obviously they can not say no.

if you meet the requirements then u should be allowed to transfer.

aditya

HSC
yeh thats good then i can prove that im just as capable as someome with 98uai :eek: =)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
aditya said:
yeh thats good then i can prove that im just as capable as someome with 98uai :eek: =)
easier said than done

but don't worry aditya, how do you know your results when there's still an entire month to go

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
flyin' said:
i can prove that im just as capable as someone with a high 99 point something uai... im still trying =p
wot r u transferring into, i thought u did act/maths? wot more cud u want, id only dream of getting into that (well its a new sci course now innit, we'll c wot the uai is)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Supra said:
wot r u transferring into, i thought u did act/maths? wot more cud u want, id only dream of getting into that (well its a new sci course now innit, we'll c wot the uai is)
dun fink flyn's transering. i think he means he's tryn hard to b at same lvl as ppl who got high 99s

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Just a qeustion, whats it with some of my 2nd yr acturial friends doing 141 with me this semester ?
one of them owned the 243? class test ..lol, 30.5/35 ,,,i had a look at it and yeah... discipline needed alright :p

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
some actuarial ppl do econ141 to jack up their gpa. from ppl i know, they're usually ppl who missed out getting into a mainstream unit so they use some of that time improving their gpa. But ur friends doing acst243 n dats got a pretty complete prereq list...so maybe he's opted to do econ201 this summer, leaving him with stat271, acst243 and econ141 to fill the gap.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
ahhh i c...coz when i asked them 3 theysaid they were doing it for revision

flamin'

flyin' said:
the thing about "it's hard to find jobs" is not just an actuarial phenomenon, but it's hard to find decent jobs from most courses.

the most important thing to note is - in a unit where the average person gets a uai of 98 point something, and you're on low 90s i wouldn't like the chance of you getting above average in the unit. and if you don't get above average, it's hard to get credits or above at macq. and this is - even if you work really really really really really hard.
flyin' you of all people (being a know-it-all =P) should know that the Actuarial industry is phucked in Austrlaia. Noone wants employ Actuarials as much here. Asia is where the big market is. To make things worse, there are way more Actuarial students around as well....

One of the reasons why lots of ACST students have trouble finding jobs is.. in short, they are a bunch of sad losers who study 24/7 with no personalities because they went to James Ruse (kekeke). THE FOCUS ON FINDING JOBS IS NOT SOLELY ON ACADEMICS - that is but a small proportion of what is needed... Interview skills and life experience are much more important for jobs.

And once again.. UAI isn't the big all end all. If you enjoy something you should give it a shot. If you enjoy something enough you will automatically work hard and have fun in the subjet and thus do well. You all know UAI means jack crap about how smart someone is - you screw up one exam, then your UAI drops.. and EVERYONE screws up an exam once in a while.. right flyin' =P

flamin'

30.5/45 for the 243 test was good....

(edit) And ACST/ECON combined do 4 subjects this semester: econ141, econ201, stat271, acst243...

flamin'

flyin' said:
i can prove that im just as capable as someone with a high 99 point something uai... im still trying =p
Well I'd say you're just as capable. Most the guys with low 99+ UAIs have lost GPA of 4.0... Only the guys with 99.5+ UAI still have GPA 4.0

I have a feeling that at least one of them will lose it this semester though....

flamin'

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
some actuarial ppl do econ141 to jack up their gpa. QUOTE]

econ141 is prereq for econ combined....

Doing any subject that is not a prereq will increase overall GPA... but if you did a totally irrelevant subject like COMP123, employers will just ignore that... or laugh. Doing extra subjects JUST to increase your GPA is a waste of money, time, resources etc.

I *think* most employers would look at marks for the difficult ACST subjects like acst243 or stat272... stuff like that.

flamin'

flyin' said:
my point was, it's hard to get a job you want in most occupations. that said, i don't wanna work in aust for too long.

the above references to uais was cos the person who first posted was thinking they'd get low 90s. and with low 90s they're in trouble. it doesn't matter too much once youre above 98.

no one "screws up" an exam. if i go badly, its prolly cos i didnt work hard enough or give the unit enough respect. those that fail, prolly dont study enough and so its expected theyd get screwed by the exam. you can only screw something up if you work for it and it doesnt work out - so ppl aiming for hds and then stuff up and get ds. =D

already posted =p
gpa is never a good measure, think alex.

anyway, the aim now is to get out on time (or early) without doing units twice.

i doubt that very much. sif most employers would know what unit was what, besides the unit name on the transcript.
Of course its hard to get a job that you want in any occupation. I want to be the CEO of one of the Big 5... you think I can get it? Of course not....

UAI is not a good measure of how smart you are... regardless of whatever UAI you get. People can change. UAI is a number.

People screw up in exams. Its not ALL down to how hard you work. You have to be insightful and naturally intelligent as well. Most ACST students work hard... why don't all of them have GPA 4.0 then? Because they aren't smart enough or they have bad luck in the finals...

Well GPA may not be a good measure.. likewise for UAI, so if someone has a pass average does that mean they are dumber? If someone has a UAI of 75, does that mean they are dumber? If they aren't dumber then why do you say that if you have a low 90s UAI then you would be in trouble (apart from not getting into the course right away)??? Once again, people can change... Its like you're saying.. you ahve a low UAI, you are condemned to mediocrity... Transferring is not that hard either... i know a guy who transferred coz he really wanted to do it and he's doing ok - around Cr average

AND why do you care so much about GPA and not wanting to get another credit when GPA is not a good measure??? :p ... though having a high GPA is handy none the less....

Employers will look at the units you do... Mac Uni ACST is quite reknowned... i think most interview panels with an Actuarial on it will know what some of the units at macquarie are.... just think.. ACST243: Actuarial Modelling... i think the name is pretty obvious there... most of the units we do have been around for a while... the industry isn't blind to what units we learn....

santaslayer

HSC
I have a question.

Do they really accept crazy turds for a double degree in acst/LLB? A friend was asking me about it and I told them they were stoopid. :p I just can't imagine the workload. If that is the case, do you actuary wannabes think that the person with the extra qualification would have a upperhand? (if they ever get out alive) Thanks. :)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
santaslayer said:
I have a question.

Do they really accept crazy turds for a double degree in acst/LLB?
If thats not over-qualified i dont know what is :p ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)