I feel sorry for teachers !!! am i sad? (1 Viewer)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
but how can you "satisfy" 30+ people in a class? (ie making it "top class" to use the eg. above everyday 4-8 times a day?). Add to that different learning styles *and* abilities? and other things that may be happening in the teachers life which impact on their teaching.......
Sorry, but half the comments here imply no real idea of what teaching about as you only see the 40-50 minutes "in class" (with all the distractions and problems of a typical classroom) and as is typical with most things, the isolated occassion/example dictates the entire argument.
If you want to balme something, blame a boring and irrelevant 7-10 syllabus and the academically driven and ever changing HSC (and the gov't/lobby groups that fob more and more responsibility onto teachers but wont anti up with appropriate training, work conditions and pay)
Comparing education to medicine doesnt work either as its a different matter and field altogether. Someone's life and well-being vs someone's education (which for most highschool students is a resented and "compulsory" part of teenage life) cannot be compared. Plus I *would* feel sorry for a doctor who didnt know what they were doing as it would mean the broader education system has failed and they have just wasted a bucket load of money and at least 8 years of their life (not including highschool.......)

BTW. I should add that the main reason I think this thread is wrong is not the ignorance that is being displayed by some members but that it will disintegrate into direct slander against certain teachers (ie schools and teachers will be named and defamed) which isnt right- I dont care what you may or may not think but its not right..... and you dont have the right to do it.

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
All teachers can teach, it's just how they express their ideas effectively and whether or not it actually gets to the student and actually enlightens the student to learn, there was a computing teacher in my school i asked him questions too, he actually communicated ideas very quickly.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
as our deputy principal would say " different teachers have different teaching and learning values and beliefs" ( or something like that

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
All teachers can teach, it's just how they express their ideas effectively and whether or not it actually gets to the student and actually enlightens the student to learn, there was a computing teacher in my school i asked him questions too, he actually communicated ideas very quickly.
My point exactly. What is good for one may not be good for another..... ie the way the teacher is teaching may not be *your* cup of tea but that doesnt mean that they are incompetant. Rather, it means that they *may* not be perceptive to your learning style. This doesnt make them a bad teacher though.
Hell, if this line of logic were true, it would mean that im a bad teacher cause I could I couldnt get through to a student I had for two years with Aspergers.......

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by snapperhead
My point exactly. What is good for one may not be good for another..... ie the way the teacher is teaching may not be *your* cup of tea but that doesnt mean that they are incompetant. Rather, it means that they *may* not be perceptive to your learning style. This doesnt make them a bad teacher though.
Hell, if this line of logic were true, it would mean that im a bad teacher cause I could I couldnt get through to a student I had for two years with Aspergers.......

Yep however i've noticed different teaching styles they have, some may consistently teach and just 'assume' that you get the old stuff so the new stuff will run. Might work for some but i know some teaches throughout the class and progressively checks that you didn't forget some of the basics and also furthermore continuosly asks individuals in the class random questions so that if the student is stumped he/she knows that the class is in fact not understanding so they go through it again, some teachers actually want the class to understand it until they move on, they don't mind if they're behind or if they give up their lunch times to give a class that will re-iterate through taught contents.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I'm the first to admit I've been a little shithead to teachers in the past, specificially in yrs 7-9, but as most people do, I calmed down a lot. I do feel sorry for some teachers, who are obviously very clever people, but are just unable to communicate with the students coherently. Especially, I think, with the new HSC, which is in so many ways so obscure and arbitary, that it confuses a lot of teachers, particularly those who have been through 20 or 30 years of teaching before this system was implemented. (and now, of course, they're changing the 7-10 curriculum to work better with the 11-12 one, which will lead to even more confusion)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I just think it is wrong what some of you are saying here (esp. the uni students who should know better as uni lecturers are not the best eg's of "teachers" or teaching pedagogy !!)
oh dont get me started on lecturers (we have had one dude for bio for 3 weeks now and done nothing but punnet squares)

My point exactly. What is good for one may not be good for another..... ie the way the teacher is teaching may not be *your* cup of tea but that doesnt mean that they are incompetant.
exactly. my year 12 chem teacher was one of the 'best' teachers at my school, but she just couldnt get me to understand chem. thats not her fault, my brain just wasnt geared for the subject.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
but seriously if you dont like the teachers teaching style you can talk to them ... our teachers encourage us to do it coz they say different people learn in different ways so they are happy to "adapt" their ways of teaching

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *girl04*
but seriously if you dont like the teachers teaching style you can talk to them ... our teachers encourage us to do it coz they say different people learn in different ways so they are happy to "adapt" their ways of teaching
my teacher tried everything, it wasnt her fault, SO far from it, it was mine, and im willing to accept that. nothing irritates me more than people going 'oh so-and-so is a crap teacher' when really, its their own fault, and they need to realise that.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
finally some sense.... thanks jess!! (I can always rely on you for some sanity)
umm.....thanks....!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
Yep however i've noticed different teaching styles they have, some may consistently teach and just 'assume' that you get the old stuff so the new stuff will run. Might work for some but i know some teaches throughout the class and progressively checks that you didn't forget some of the basics and also furthermore continuosly asks individuals in the class random questions so that if the student is stumped he/she knows that the class is in fact not understanding so they go through it again, some teachers actually want the class to understand it until they move on, they don't mind if they're behind or if they give up their lunch times to give a class that will re-iterate through taught contents.
Consider yourself lucky. I try this every year with my seniors (giving up lunches, before and after school and holidays) and it gets thrown back in my face. Like I said: different people, different things....

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
LOL- sorry (with reference to another thread from a while back about lateral thinking)
what thread would that be? lol sorry, my head is just consumed with spanking kids at the moment (damn psych essay) so my brains kinda mushy

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
what thread would that be? lol sorry, my head is just consumed with spanking kids at the moment (damn psych essay) so my brains kinda mushy
I wont ask....
LOL
The thread was about job choices and uni choices from memory. It was the first time we "spoke" (does that sound creepy?? Not intended...).
:)

Someguy123

finally some sense.... thanks jess!! (I can always rely on you for some sanity)

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
umm.....thanks....you give me sanity too .....!!!!!
do i sense a student/teacher relationship here?!?!?!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I wont ask....
LOL
The thread was about job choices and uni choices from memory. It was the first time we "spoke" (does that sound creepy?? Not intended...).
:)
no that doesnt sound creepy...ill have to go find it...see what i said (that will be creepy)

Originally posted by Someguy123
do i sense a student/teacher relationship here?!?!?!
hey, no fair, you edited my post!!!

Someguy123

^^^ ohhhh sir swore he edited though ... lol nah it was just a joke, jess took it the right way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)