I feel sorry for teachers !!! am i sad? (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by glycerine
the way my friends and I worked it out, is if guys are allowed to say "jeez, have you got pms or something?" every time a girl isn't all happy sunshine, we're allowed to say "jeez, have you got erectile dysfunction or something?" every time a guy is in a bad mood :p
What type of idiot would say it to their face, you just assume it and say it behind their back. It would be good to see the look on someones face if you said that to them though.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
haha i've had people say it a few times, not recently though (ie not since we worked out the rule) since i think they learnt their lesson after the first time. so i haven't had to chance to use it on anyone. :mad1:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by snapperhead
Have used "a look" a couple of times (look of disappointment) but I knew the kids and I knew what effect it would have on them....
i hated that look, it is SO much worse than the evil look.
i think coz i got on really well with my teachers, and i knew they expected a lot of me, so i was terrified of disapointing them...and the 'oh je-ess' whiney type of thing also sucked.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
LOL

but its funny to seem them squirm...
now you're just being evil.
don't you feel bad, giving students the disapointed look, knowing how much it hurts them?
i only got it a few times in my whole schooling life, but those few times were undoubtedly the lowest points of my education to date.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
don't you feel bad, giving students the disapointed look, knowing how much it hurts them?
i only got it a few times in my whole schooling life, but those few times were undoubtedly the lowest points of my education to date.
Did you desevre the look when you got it? If so, is it evil to use when it's deserved?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Did you desevre the look when you got it? If so, is it evil to use when it's deserved?
once i deserved it, coz i was a real shit, but the other couple of times i got it, it was only coz i did a really shoddy bit of work, the teachers were more disapointed in me when i handed in crap work than they were with the others when they were total shits.

hmmm...i dunno if its evil when its deserved...i think i would have much preferred them to yell at me than give me the disapointed look.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
... but the other couple of times i got it, it was only coz i did a really shoddy bit of work, the teachers were more disapointed in me when i handed in crap work than they were with the others when they were total shits.
So you deserved it - Shoddy work absolutely screams out for a look, especially when it comes from a student who should know better. (Snapperhead, please jump in if I'm wrong on this one.)
hmmm...i dunno if its evil when its deserved...i think i would have much preferred them to yell at me than give me the disapointed look.
Yeah, but which is the more effective technique for achieving the teacher's goal of behaviuor modification? There's no point in throwing a look at someone who it won't affect.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Erm, hate to burst your bubble, but you've just turned this thread from nice and light-hearted into serious and boring.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
So you deserved it - Shoddy work absolutely screams out for a look, especially when it comes from a student who should know better. (Snapperhead, please jump in if I'm wrong on this one.)
yeah, i know. but it doesnt change the fact that it totally stung. and i mean, why do i get the look coz i hand in something worth 15/20 instead of 20/20 (*cough* mrs mac *cough*)

Yeah, but which is the more effective technique for achieving the teacher's goal of behaviuor modification? There's no point in throwing a look at someone who it won't affect.
yeah...they knew the look affected me something shocking... i mean, i hated them yelling and screaming at me, and it sucked...but the disapointed look was enough to reduce me to tears (only once, and only when i was in the privacy of my car)
lol

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
depends on the situation. If its a student that I trust, have invested time and effort in and have high expectations of and they do something to let me down (nb. not academic), I think the look is better than balling them out and making them like crap in front of their peers.....
like I said, it does depend on the situation and the student (the relationship I have with them-obviously this is not everyone and they are usually yr 12's that I have worked with for a while)
As CM said, its about behaviour modification not about emotional control. Some teachers really abuse this though (esp. when they say "you have let me down etc"). Me, I believe the look if used appropriately is more effective and is less damaging than verbal abuse of psychological "control"
My 2 cents anyway...

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
depends on the situation. If its a student that I trust, have invested time and effort in and have high expectations of and they do something to let me down (nb. not academic), I think the look is better than balling them out and making them like crap in front of their peers.....
yeah...point taken.
i think the few times i got it, (well the times that werent academic) were coz i was the 'good' student, i could practically get away with murder at my school coz the teachers 'trusted' me, so whenever I did anything that 'let them down', i got the look and knew i was in the shit majorly.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
thats cool- its a difficult one to agree on as Im sure other people will write here :)
you should try getting it as an "adult"...now thats a kick in the guts!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
you should try getting it as an "adult"...now thats a kick in the guts!!

oooh, that would be! thats the best thing about uni, I think, coz I know they don't give a damn about me, so I won't get "the look"

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
oooh, that would be! thats the best thing about uni, I think, coz I know they don't give a damn about me, so I won't get "the look"
had a "boss" (principal) that used it but unfortunately, they didnt know how or they would get it wrong, so it was just plain pathetic!!
LOL

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
dont worry. its normal. i felt sorry for teachers b4. but then i dont anymore coz a teacher yelled at me for talking. teachers get paid for their job and if they cant control the class, it means they aren't doing their job properly. and if they hate their job so much, they can always change. its not our fault that their too retarded to find another job

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
nerdsforever said:
its not our fault that their too retarded to find another job
Wtf? Teachers are retarded to find another job? That doesn't make sense? What's your definition of 'retarded?'. Your name would probably be right under the word 'idiot' in the dictionary for the quote above, a person of subnormal intelligence.

kuroneko

HSC
Yeah I feel sorry for teachers quite a lot, so I try to make their lives easier my shutting the fuck up and listening. That's what we're at school to do, no? It's unlikely doing so will influence a behavioural revolution, but elbowing your friends and telling them to shut up works, because they realise how immature they're being.
Anybody who thinks I'm just a nerdy loser should take a look at themselves- teachers are people too, and some of the behaviour I've seen directed at teachers would really scar. People are unnecessarily cruel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)