Lack of motivation, complacency, etc in year 11. (1 Viewer)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I had this problem when I was in Term 2 of Year 12. I was topping all of my classes (except English because it's a joke of a subject) and well on my way to a UAI in the 90's. Then I slackened off heaps and couldn't be bothered putting in the required effort anymore and my grades slipped heaps. I ended up with a UAI of 81.40 which was definitely fine for the course I wanted to get into, but I still felt really disappointed in myself.

Just imagine you've achieved your goal UAI of 97.10 - how it feels and what you can do with it. That alone should be an extra boost of motivation to read another chapter of your English novel or write a draft essay in History.

Good luck! :)
Congratulations, you deserved your moronic UAI of 81.40, as that 'joke of a subject' counts unconditionally to your UAI.

Yomo

HSC
high fives all round for not giving a crap about yr 11!

i fully have never bothered studying cos I do alright...but I'm just easing myself into it this year so if i need to i can make myself more motivated for HSC...and if my genius plan fails i figure i'll just take a gap year and bum around pouring pints in europe until i figure out what to do.

I find best motivation is when the people around you are starting to get heaps focused and study heaps...makes you feel guilty for not studying so it motivates...so clearly you should blame your friends for stopping you from being motivated for school

ghasfura

HSC
I'm finding it really hard to study this year. I'm motivated but at the same time I'm not. The amount of homework I get and how much I have to study are starting to pile up on me, by the time my 15 hour or so day is over I'm so buggered when I get to bed, I don't want to wake up the next day!!

But I know I have to start studying again or else I'll be so upset that I didn't push myself hard enough!

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
i've been finding it really irritating how some of my friends seem to be breezing through everything...and I'm stuck nearly failing classes and having to cram cram cram, work work work AND have the assistance of a tutor.

im hoping my end prelim exam won't be so bad - and I can take a chill pill.

lurveNpeace

HSC
year 11, well im not motivated for school anymore
its because im getting my half yearly results back and i bombed badly =="

but then my year 12 friend told me not to stress and be dissapointed at myself as i can improve before the yearly exams but then again she said that everything i do in year 11 is kinda pointless as once i start term 4 everything starts all over again .. sigh*

Uncle

Banned
HSC
if you arent surviving the hsc
(which is really quite a joke in terms of content and difficulty thanks to the new generation),
then a simple solution is to drop out of school altogether and not regret that decision in year 10 to not drop out.

op's subjects:

English (Advanced), English Extension 1, Modern History, Ancient History, Society & Culture, Legal Studies, Business Studies
hire a stripper.
probably a social worker looking for extra cash and could teach you society and culture.
not to mention incredibly gay subjects.

why pick the subjects you like then crash and burn and lose motivation?
its fucking hilarious.

speedofsound

HSC
hire a stripper.
probably a social worker looking for extra cash and could teach you society and culture.
not to mention incredibly gay subjects.

why pick the subjects you like then crash and burn and lose motivation?
its fucking hilarious.
i am fairly sure i will make it into my stripper course at UNSW so i have no concerns. :) but you can never get too confident!!!

fyi, i am far from "crashing and burning".

kthanks.

technicolour

HSC
It is only year 11, but the only way to go about it is to force yourself to study. No-one actually likes work, it's just a matter of getting over that hurdle of sitting down and doing it. I find that after ten minutes I can keep at it. Then again, that's me.

I suppose the only thing to do it think "Do I really want to get 79% in my next assessment, or can I do better than that?" Just think of how much better you'd feel if you got 95% instead.

It's all a matter of avoiding disappointment in yourself.

That probably didn't help at all, because it's what I tell myself all the time and I still don't do it.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations, you deserved your moronic UAI of 81.40, as that 'joke of a subject' counts unconditionally to your UAI.
Dude, I'm providing advice based on past experience.

Until you actually sit the HSC, STFU.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A

how is a UAI of 81.40 moronic? i'm sure there are people out there who got lower UAI's than 81.40 that will be more successful in life than you will be.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I fucking doubt it. 81.40 is pretty terribad if you actually tried hard. If you were trying to try and ending up thumbing your ass it'd be alright, but honestly I don't see you getting 81.40 if you actually legit try pretty hard. Even jokes of subjects must be done. No excuses. Also do realise who you're telling this to. i fucking Splicer.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I fucking doubt it. 81.40 is pretty terribad if you actually tried hard. If you were trying to try and ending up thumbing your ass it'd be alright, but honestly I don't see you getting 81.40 if you actually legit try pretty hard. Even jokes of subjects must be done. No excuses. Also do realise who you're telling this to. i fucking Splicer.
i know plenty of people who got a UAI in the high ninetys and have no social skills, i know plenty of people who have gotten in the 60's that are engaging and articulate, UAI is not an indication of 'intelligence' or whatever.

Some people will work their arse off and not get anywhere near 81.40, it dosnt make them moronic.

Hypermelon

HSC
i have the same thing too. no motivation at all so far this year, but im doing all right but i know i could be doing better

BUT it sucks because im doing the AST thing not the HSC.
EVERYTHING you do in year 11 & 12 counts towards the final score =( its so depressing.
my maths teacher said that this system is more stressful than than the hsc because we are constantly being assessed for 2 years straight.

rokkuguhyo

HSC
Drive past TAFE everyday to watch all those other people who also lacked motivation in senior high school.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
i know plenty of people who got a UAI in the high ninetys and have no social skills, i know plenty of people who have gotten in the 60's that are engaging and articulate, UAI is not an indication of 'intelligence' or whatever.

Some people will work their arse off and not get anywhere near 81.40, it dosnt make them moronic.
HAHAHA no social skills. I know people that have gotten 100 that have been Prefect, Sports Captain, School Vice-Captain, are very engaging and articulate etc. Raw intelligence is required for a high UAI miss, just if you don't use it you get shit marks. If you sit around thumbing your ass, by all means you can get in the 60s. But if you legit try, knuckle down and do some work then I don't see why getting 80+ is hard, even 90+ is fairly simple. Hard workers get good UAIs, and if you're actually intelligent and work, then I don't see why you can't get 90+. And yes, if you really work your ass off and can't get anywhere near 81.40 you are moronic. Also being engaging and artculate doesn't make you intelligent. It just means you can speak English at a level where you can be understood. Which you're supposed to be able to do anyway if you're doing your HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)