Lack of motivation, complacency, etc in year 11. (1 Viewer)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I fucking doubt it. 81.40 is pretty terribad if you actually tried hard. If you were trying to try and ending up thumbing your ass it'd be alright, but honestly I don't see you getting 81.40 if you actually legit try pretty hard. Even jokes of subjects must be done. No excuses. Also do realise who you're telling this to. i fucking Splicer.

<3 you yash.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
right.....just going to ignore this argument going on......

I'm lacking motivation also atm...I started the year so determined and I was like I'm going to get 90%+ in everything, I'm going to do good in science this year (I hated science but realized I needed it to pursue a career with animals). Anyway, later down the track........I haven't learned a damn thing about biology, partially because my teacher sucks but then I also don't have the motivation to self-study so I've just decided to accept my failure because I frankly do not understand how an animal can do osmosis, or even what osmosis is...I don't get it. So I'm failing biology.

So far, I am failing:

• Biology
  • Legal Studies
  • English Advanced (as immature as it sounds...my teacher sucked...luckily we have a new one now who doesn't discuss grass for half an hour when we're meant to be studying the American Dream, which is ridiculous enough already as we're in bloody Australia...so hopefully I should pass.)
And yes, I did try...I'm just not trying now because even with my best effort, I'm failing so I feel like whats the point? I'm only doing well in Drama and S&C, and work studies you don't really have to do anything so I'm passing that as well.

So needless to say, I've screwed up this year by choosing subjects I hate and there's no point in trying to fix it so I'm going to have to stay another year in school and do subjects I'm actually good at (dance, gen maths, community and fam, religion, modern history etc).

I'll have to accept the fact the closest I'll ever get to working with animals is as an animal attendant, which is fine its a fun job even though I will not be able to afford anything and live off my parents like a bum for the rest of my life because all the high-paying jobs require science which I suck at....HORRAH FAILURE! :mad::mad:

*takes a deep breath* Sorry, I'll go to a corner and count to ten now. But I can't even pursue drama, which is my other passion as a career and live a comfortable life off it....LIFE SUCKS! =/
This is gonna sound harsh, but honestly you need to wake the fuck up and stop feeling so damn sorry for yourself. Sure if you sit there and go 'im a failure im a failure, my dream is over cuz im failing year 11 english' you're never gonna get anywhere, its a self fulfilling prophecy and a stupid one at that.

You need to just accept that so far you have been lazy and that is why you're not doing so well, you may have had shitty teachers, but so what, who hasn't? The fact is you were too lazy to do you're own self study and that is why you're failing.

If you're not willing to put in any extra work to get your dream career maybe you don't want that job as much as you think you do.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
<3 you yash.
<3 you too Sav. Also @Stefgi. I want to slap you. You are a douchbag. Al you need to do is CREATE A FUCKING ROUTINE STICK TO IT AND CRAM REALLY FUCKING HARD AND LEGIT WORK INSTEAD OF CRYING LIKE A BITCH. Also download You're the Best Around (the Karate Kid song) and just keep listening to it. Soon enough, NOTHING'S GONNA EVER BRING YOU DOWN

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
Sorry, I was really, really frustrated when I wrote that.....and yeah, I sounded like quite the moron. Reading it back I understand why you think I'm feeling sorry for myself and being lazy, but to be fair, I actually did put a great deal of effort to ace my assessments at the begginning of the year. It was only when I started failing that I lost motivation, because I was like I'm already trying and I'm still failing. I don't know if you've experienced that, but its a horrible feeling.

I asked a lot of questions, went to the study centre every lunch and recess to work on my subjects, spent until 2 or 3am some nights working on some of the subjects....especially with the short story assessment for English, I worked really, really hard on that one..I didn't ask as many questions and maybe I could've, but I still put a lot of hours into it...and I still failed for what I thought were ridiculous reasons, because my metaphor didn't "gel" with the storyline....WTF!? I admit it was a little confusing, sure but an 8 out of 20?? I'm sorry, I deserved at least a 13, I showed to like so many of my classmates and they also thought I deserved more..and for biology, the nights I've spent trying to understand my textbook and answer questions in them (even when it wasn't homework), asked my sister and parents for help.....I tried, okay? I really did but I don't know what else I can do? I really do not understand what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Sorry, I was really, really frustrated when I wrote that.....and yeah, I sounded like quite the moron. Reading it back I understand why you think I'm feeling sorry for myself and being lazy, but to be fair, I actually did put a great deal of effort to ace my assessments at the begginning of the year. It was only when I started failing that I lost motivation, because I was like I'm already trying and I'm still failing. I don't know if you've experienced that, but its a horrible feeling.

I asked a lot of questions, went to the study centre every lunch and recess to work on my subjects, spent until 2 or 3am some nights working on some of the subjects....especially with the short story assessment for English, I worked really, really hard on that one..I didn't ask as many questions and maybe I could've, but I still put a lot of hours into it...and I still failed for what I thought were ridiculous reasons, because my metaphor didn't "gel" with the storyline....WTF!? I admit it was a little confusing, sure but an 8 out of 20?? I'm sorry, I deserved at least a 13, I showed to like so many of my classmates and they also thought I deserved more..and for biology, the nights I've spent trying to understand my textbook and answer questions in them (even when it wasn't homework), asked my sister and parents for help.....I tried, okay? I really did but I don't know what else I can do? I really do not understand what I am doing wrong.

Look, sometimes this just happens, you work your ass off and you still do shit, it happened to me recently actually, i was pretty pissed as im sure you are- its a terrible feeling. But instead of just giving up what you should do is try to learn from the experience, figure out where you went wrong and redouble your efforts.

It can be difficult to get motivated again but that doesn't mean you should just give up all together. You say you tried and failed and it seems like this is an ongoing thing, that suggests that you're going about things the wrong way. Change your studying technique, tell your teachers you need extra help get a tutor if you really have to. Either way, winging won't get you anywhere so try and be a little more open to suggestion instead of taking a 'i tried and failed so whats the point' attitude.

Everyone fucks up at some point, the best students are the ones who take it on board and use it to do better next time.

stefgi32

Meh
HSC
N/A
Yeah, you're right. I just really need to get it together...thanks for that.

Just wondering out of curiosity if there is anyone here who finds it difficult to be motivated because of things like youtube, myspace and stuff...just want to see if there is anyone else out there, I personally am a youtube addict and a lose a lot of sleep because of it, watching video after video after video...which is something I need to work on. Is anyone else like that??

kiniki

HSC
stefgi, don't even worry I know how you feel. unfortunately alot of people on BOS have never tasted, and will never taste the pain of failure. they cannot relate and thus do not get a proper say. i already have a natural aptitude for english but even when i do an essay periodically over a week, get a bunch of people to proofread it and help me write it and scour the internet for research i can sometimes manage to get 12/20 while the super-smart-naturally-talented girl who sits next to me (who draws on her book every single lesson and does shit all) did her essay in 45 min the morning of the due date and gets 18.5 / 20, and for a diff assessment, put in a quarter as much effort as you and still gets full marks - im sure 80% of people can relate.

i know it beats you down, and makes you just want to go with the flow but it instead should provide you with an incentive to break into the top ranks of the said subject. if you already study hard, study harder! learn to properly study too! get a tutor and what not. never underestimate the boon that heavy and consistent study can provide :)

technicolour

HSC
Great post may-cat.

Make failing your motivation. I know how awful it feels to fail, and all you have to think to yourself is that you don't want it to happen again. I get the whole "distracted by the internet thing" completely, but after I get an assessment back and I didn't do as well as I thought I would it always comes back to "I should have just studied those hours I was on Facebook or whatever."

And I'm sorry, but there's no other way to change things than sit down and do the hard work. Just think of the feeling at the end. :)

aya-chan

HSC
omgsh. Sav and Yash ... you guys ... so harsh. actually, scratch that ... you guys hit hard with the truth. But sometimes, you need it. (plus it was pretty funny)

Man, I really need to try more. I regret so much not trying in sc last year. :( 89 failzors in science.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
LOL I don't regret not trying at all. I got 89 in Science as well, and 89 in History. I didn however get a High Distinction for History (top 20%) in School. I got 3 postions in the bottom 20% (Maths, Science, PE), and now I'm fairly certain I can do 4U Maths based on ranks. so yeah. Year 10 was great.

aya-chan

HSC
LOL I don't regret not trying at all. I got 89 in Science as well, and 89 in History. I didn however get a High Distinction for History (top 20%) in School. I got 3 postions in the bottom 20% (Maths, Science, PE), and now I'm fairly certain I can do 4U Maths based on ranks. so yeah. Year 10 was great.
aww but. if I completely owned SC I would've gotten into the international science school thing and it would've been so much fun. :'(

there's like 2 ruse people and 3 baulko people going. *sighs*

(oh and btw. apparently you're shorter than me. ahahahahahahahahaha. YOU'RE SHORT *pokes*)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
aww but. if I completely owned SC I would've gotten into the international science school thing and it would've been so much fun. :'(

there's like 2 ruse people and 3 baulko people going. *sighs*

(oh and btw. apparently you're shorter than me. ahahahahahahahahaha. YOU'RE SHORT *pokes*)
Just out of curiosity, what is the international science school?

krels

HSC
i am finding myself so bored with yr11 and unmotivated that i feel dissapointed when i don't study for something and get a great mark because i haven't worked for it but i feel stressed out when i do terrible in something when i have worked hard - but yeah, yr 11 doesn't matter.

if you fail one subject in yr 11, can you continue to yr 12 if you drop that subject?

pessi-mystic

HSC
I always lack motivation to study, plus i've never been told how... which is oh so handy.

My english teacher keeps saying that i'm not trying and i lack discipline, yet i'm topping extension english.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)