The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Meh what the hell, Everton needed a STRIKER, not a Neville who doesnt know what position to play in. They've scored something like 3 goals in 5 pre season matches.

HSC
copious said:
Meh what the hell, Everton needed a STRIKER, not a Neville who doesnt know what position to play in. They've scored something like 3 goals in 5 pre season matches.
I think they need bolstering in all areas of the field. I've said it before and I'll say it again- this time last year, Moyes was odds on favourite (you actually can bet on this) to be the first manager sacked in the 04/05 season. It was a freak year for them, and I think they'll be stuggling to make the top half. They won't get past Villareal in the Champions League qualifiers and will be thoughourly destroyed by Man U first game of the season.

HSC
I gotta agree with Benny_, Spurs have done well in keeping their young talent and adding Davids is a big coup for them. I still think Newcastle will struggle to stay in the top half despite signing Emre, Scott Parker and co. Even though their squad hasn't changed that much I think Charlton are a dark horse for a solid finish, top 6 at least.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Does Manchester United really even need Michael Owen? We already have Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Smith, Saha, Rossi and Ole Skolskjaer is close to full fitness. Ronaldo can also play upfront. Oh, and I forgot Bellion. :) We really need to sign a player like Ballack...not another striker.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
matt#1 said:
Does Manchester United really even need Michael Owen? We already have Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Smith, Saha, Rossi and Ole Skolskjaer is close to full fitness. Ronaldo can also play upfront. Oh, and I forgot Bellion. :) We really need to sign a player like Ballack...not another striker.
With Ole back fit I dont think they Fergie will go for Owen. Besides they dont have any problems scoring goals anyway. If anything they need a right winger and a mid.

HSC
copious said:
With Ole back fit I dont think they Fergie will go for Owen. Besides they dont have any problems scoring goals anyway. If anything they need a right winger and a mid.

*Cough* FA Cup final *Cough*
*Cough* 1-0 loss to West Brom with 30 shots on target *Cough*

I agree that Man U don't need any more than there $100 million strike force, but it didn't really work for them last season did it?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Tender_Branson said:
*Cough* FA Cup final *Cough*
*Cough* 1-0 loss to West Brom with 30 shots on target *Cough*

I agree that Man U don't need any more than there $100 million strike force, but it didn't really work for them last season did it?
definatelty not, they needed Teddy Sheringham thats why :D

^___^
HSC
Tender_Branson said:

well neither did Drogba and Kezman who cost chelski around 30million pounds :rolleyes:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
copious said:
With Ole back fit I dont think they Fergie will go for Owen. If anything they need a right winger and a mid.
We already have a brilliant right winger. Or did you mean that we need someone to back up for Ronaldo when he is injured? We do need another midfielder though.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Is Ronaldo a lefty or righty? I always thought he preferred the left wing.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
copious said:
Is Ronaldo a lefty or righty? I always thought he preferred the left wing.
Giggs has been running up and down Utd's left wing for 15 years...how could yopu not know that Ronaldo is a right winger? :) He is very good with both feet though...so he can play on either side or even up front. Giigs and Ronaldo regularly switch positions throughout the game.

^___^
HSC
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_y...ericans_sports_feature&prov=reuters&type=lgns

what a lovely piece of article

omg, americans made it to the world cup for the 5th time, and the hardest team they have to beat would be mexico, and even if they lose, they would still qualify automatically provided they ar ranked 2nd in the group

gg, great argument by the yanks.."we are above the world champions and england"
:rolleyes:
name me a top ranked national team USA played in the past year?
Costa Rica?

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
matt#1 said:
Giggs has been running up and down Utd's left wing for 15 years...how could yopu not know that Ronaldo is a right winger? :) He is very good with both feet though...so he can play on either side or even up front. Giigs and Ronaldo regularly switch positions throughout the game.
lol no shit. However he isnt around forever, and the only two players i see who are grooming potential for that spot are richardson and ronaldo. Though if he's gonna stay on the right then Man utd need a holding mid. Then again, PArk Ji Sung can play on the left too.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
lol- typically arrogant Americans. Anyway...here is a list of the current top 20 national sides as ranked by FIFA:

1 Brazil
2 Argentina
3 Netherlands
4 Czech Republic
5 Mexico
6 USA
7 France
8 England
8 Spain
10 Portugal
11 Germany
12 Turkey
13 Japan
14 Italy
15 Iran
15 Republic of Ireland
17 Sweden
18 Uruguay
19 Denmark
19 Greece

...i can't believe that USA is ranked no.6 in the world. Mexico's 5th ranking and Japan's 11th ranking are also slightly surprising. Its good to see an Asian team so high up the rankings though. In my opinion England and Portugal are two of the best teams in the world and should both be ranked much higher. Australia is ranked no. 60 in the world :(.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
copious said:
lol no shit. However he isnt around forever, and the only two players i see who are grooming potential for that spot are richardson and ronaldo. Though if he's gonna stay on the right then Man utd need a holding mid. Then again, PArk Ji Sung can play on the left too.
I think that Ronaldo will stay on the right. Park Ji Sung is being groomed for Giggs' left wing position and Smith is being groomed to takeover Keane's position when he retires.

slip

HSC
rankings are based on results and you cant argue with the results then themselves. however i think that the basic complaint would be that teams are getting the points that give them such a lofty ranking by playing a large number of games against easy opposition. but i doubt anything will ever be done to resolve this issue as for most countries it would be economically and technically(timewise) impossible to play alot of other countries and so they stick to playing those near them, even if those countries are 2nd rate.

that said the rankings dont really suprise me. but it is still fairly obvious that despite the rankings england has a better chance of winning the world cup then usa and so on. this is because england regularly plays games against tougher opponents then the usa does....

man utd has replaced a number of brilliant players (who are gettign older or have left) with also rans to some extent, and the youth is yet to come through.

beckham, giggs, scholes, keane, butt, sheringham, yorke, cole, schmichael have been replaced by the likes of smith, djemba djemba, saha, ronaldo, richardson etc (all of whom and more have failed or are yet to forfill potential - and that is a big wrap on ronaldo so dont get offended. )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)