Yasser Arafat dies in Paris hospital; age 75. (2 Viewers)

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
the MAJORITY of palestinians supported the oslo peace agreement, there was going to be peace between the two peoples... the political leaders on both sides were in agreement however homas ruined it.

That is like saying the aboriginals should set up terrorist groups and fight to kill us.

The Oslo accord was a farce, it consisted of Palestine being split into 40 partitions in the same fashion as apartheid South-Africa. It would be criminal to accept it IMO, and that is why Arafat wuite rightly denied the accord.

And at the time that the white people went to Australia I would say the Aboriginals would have every right.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
He should have asked for isreals support to stop hammas, he should have denounced them as bad for the country straight away, he should have closed their offices STRAIGHT away.

The wall has been particulary effective around jeruselum, however i do question their placement of the wall in several areas.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
y are palestinian and islraeli people fighting?

and y are people throwing rocks at tanks?
They throw rocks at tanks because it is kinda funny in a sick way.

It is the rubble from there bulldozed homes that they are throwing.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Arafat was, in my opinion, the symbolic leader of the Palestinians. While he was in many respects THE leader, the PLO has seems to cause more division than unity. It has been only in the last decade that the PLO has been BASED in the land they claim to be theirs, what is known as Israel. The distance between the 'leadership' and their people has been vast and everchanging. They were based in Jordan until 'Black September,' 1974, when they were forced to move to Lebanon. After the 1982 war in lebanon

A quick look at the Haaretz online [http://www.haaretzdaily.com] (Jewish Newspaper) has opened up what is, in my opinion, a can of worms bred for the sole purpose of rubbing salt into the wounds.

- Propaganda, anyone? See if you can pick the events depicted... then tell me if the events are in any way related to the Palestinian question.
http://www.honestreporting.com/m/legacy.asp

- This is generally looked at as good news.... the Israeli papers are having a ball.
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/500112.html

- A much more reasonable approach taken by Howard.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3609310&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

- Palestinian reactions are predictable, really.
http://thestaronline.com/news/story.asp?file=/2004/11/11/latest/19632Palestinia&sec=latest

He made many mistakes... or should i say the PLO made many mistakes. He, as leader, had to secure 110% of what the Palestinians demanded.

I think that G. W. Bush is being more foolish than usual in this situation, Sharon has been a cock about it, Howard has been reasonable and Chirac has been respectable.

I'm pro the UN Security Counsel Resolution 242, but i dont see it happening.

Resolution 242 related reading:
http://www.palestine-un.org/res/1f.html
or just
http://www.palestine-un.org/ for UN policy on the Palestinian question

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bone577 said:
They throw rocks at tanks because it is kinda funny in a sick way.

It is the rubble from there bulldozed homes that they are throwing.

i dont know why they would through perfectly good rubble

but y are they fighting in the first place?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
There were a number of aboriginal attempts at resistance, such as the one led by Pemulwuy, but they were crushed fairly quickly, and it was hardly a level playing field - disease was as big a factor as gunpowder.

Stole this from the SMH website for the benefit of dark_angel and anyone else...

HISTORY: Palestine, once a territory governed by the Ottoman Empire, came under British mandate with the approval of the League of Nations in 1922. Increasing violence between Jewish and Arab populations led Britain to turn the issue over to the United Nations in 1947.

The United Nations proposed the partitioning of Palestine into two independent states - one Palestinian Arab and the other Jewish.

Israel proclaimed its independence in 1948, occupying 77 per cent of the territory of Palestine. More than half of the Palestinian population fled or were expelled.

In the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, Israel occupied the West Bank and Gaza Strip. East Jerusalem was subsequently annexed by the Jewish state.

POLITICS: Following the signing of the Oslo accords in 1993, Yasser Arafat returned from a decade in exile in Tunisia in 1994 to establish the Palestinian Authority (PA), which was to oversee the road to statehood.

Now, the PA -- led in Arafat's absence by prime minister Ahmed Qorei -- exercises jurisdiction in only parts of the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The Palestinian parliament, which has 88 seats, is dominated by Arafat's Fatah movement.

The Palestinian Authority exerts authority over 67 per cent of the Gaza Strip, with the remaining 33 per cent occupied by Jewish settlements, which dot the territory from north to south and are home to 8,000 settlers

Last edited:

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
He should have asked for isreals support to stop hammas, he should have denounced them as bad for the country straight away, he should have closed their offices STRAIGHT away.

The wall has been particulary effective around jeruselum, however i do question their placement of the wall in several areas.
The placement of the wall is paramount to the annexation of Palestinian land, and that is why it has always been non-negotiable, and when the ICJ ruled it was criminal, Israeli spokesmen Pazner simply said that the ICJ had "No jurisdiction".

They COULD have built the wall on their own land with the same security without breeching laws, but they didn't.

Also, Hamas has humanitarian wings which are absolutely essential to Palestinian life.
He has decounced them
Israeli support to stop Hamas involves settlements and bulldozing.

HSC
dark_angel said:

they don't through perfectly good rubble they throw it....what grade are you in? honest question

and your question would take a while to answer so im not gonna bother....look up what you can on the net...but its a long time line you may not wanna analyse

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
tWiStEdD said:
Arafat was, in my opinion, the symbolic leader of the Palestinians. While he was in many respects THE leader, the PLO has seems to cause more division than unity. It has been only in the last decade that the PLO has been BASED in the land they claim to be theirs, what is known as Israel. The distance between the 'leadership' and their people has been vast and everchanging. They were based in Jordan until 'Black September,' 1974, when they were forced to move to Lebanon. After the 1982 war in lebanon

A quick look at the Haaretz online [http://www.haaretzdaily.com] (Jewish Newspaper) has opened up what is, in my opinion, a can of worms bred for the sole purpose of rubbing salt into the wounds.

- Propaganda, anyone? See if you can pick the events depicted... then tell me if the events are in any way related to the Palestinian question.
http://www.honestreporting.com/m/legacy.asp

- This is generally looked at as good news.... the Israeli papers are having a ball.
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/500112.html

- A much more reasonable approach taken by Howard.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3609310&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

- Palestinian reactions are predictable, really.
http://thestaronline.com/news/story.asp?file=/2004/11/11/latest/19632Palestinia&sec=latest

He made many mistakes... or should i say the PLO made many mistakes. He, as leader, had to secure 110% of what the Palestinians demanded.

I think that G. W. Bush is being more foolish than usual in this situation, Sharon has been a cock about it, Howard has been reasonable and Chirac has been respectable.

I'm pro the UN Security Counsel Resolution 242, but i dont see it happening.

Resolution 242 related reading:
http://www.palestine-un.org/res/1f.html
or just
http://www.palestine-un.org/ for UN policy on the Palestinian question
i have a question

whats a:

1. PLO
2.Sharon
3.Chirac
4.UN Security Counsel Resolution 242

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
He denounced them WAY too late after he signed the oslo accord...

What about the funding given to palestine by all the arab nations, different countries all around the world, UN humanitarian funds? Where does that go?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
dark_angel said:

OMG u sadcase.........the israelis have occupied palestinian land and are slowly pushing the palestinians back..........the palestinians are now resisting this increased form of occupation.........israel has the support of the US providing it with weapons...........palestinians have jackshit and fight with rocks..........these rocks come from their homes that israel has destroyed.

HSC
joujou_84 said:
OMG u sadcase.........the israelis have occupied palestinian land and are slowly pushing the palestinians back..........the palestinians are now resisting this increased form of occupation.........israel has the support of the US providing it with weapons...........palestinians have jackshit and fight with rocks..........these rocks come from their homes that israel has destroyed.
i don't think asking questions makes you a sadcase but oh well

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
dark_angel said:
i have a question

whats a:

1. PLO
2.Sharon
3.Chirac
4.UN Security Counsel Resolution 242
*bashes head against wall*

1. palestinian group resisting israeli occupation
2. president of israel
3 president of france
4. read up on it lazy..........uve been give the link

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
The Palestinian question extends back into biblical times and before it.

The Muslim fathers had it most recently.
The Jewish fathers had it first (we're talking ages ago and for thousands of years)

Each claim side claims God gave it to them, each side is so totally entrenched in religion that the policies reflect the religious beliefs.

The rock throwing that dark_angel questions is a direct result of pent up Palestinian anger over their displacement and the lack of representation politically. The first Intefadah (1987) was a result of the death of a Palestinian boy at the funeral of a man who was killed by a Jew driving a truck.
The chaos continues.... it would take a long time for any of you to truly understand the causes and the effects of the issue.

Arafat is basically the only leader that the Palestinians have ever had. I do not doubt that these will be times worth watching, but I highly reccomend that NONE of you judge what is happening without knowing what it is that is causing it all.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
they don't through perfectly good rubble they throw it....what grade are you in? honest question

and your question would take a while to answer so im not gonna bother....look up what you can on the net...but its a long time line you may not wanna analyse

i think u were supposed to say 'throw'

just finished hsc this year...honest answer

i cant be bothered looking it up, its y i'm on this thread

nothing like a good discussion :uhhuh:

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
dark_angel said:

OK, very brief rundown of the Israel-Palestine conflict.
Both Palestinians and Israelis have historical and religious claims to the land that used to be called Palestine (now Israel, basically). During and after WW1, all sorts of deals were made with both the Palestinians and the Zionists (Jews who wanted a state of their own). The British moved in after the war, and basically promised the Palestinians the country. However, terrorist attacks on the British by the Zionists, and an influx of Jews into the area during and after the Holocaust basically led to the British moving out, and the Zionists siezing power. They declared themselves a sovereign state, and the US and Russia acknowledged them.

Since then, they've had wars, terrorist attacks on Israel, Palestine and the surrounding Arab states, and various UN resolutions, which have all led to the Palestinians living in areas known as the Occupied Territories (Palestinian land taken over by Israel after a war in 1967. Israel basically allows the Palestinians to live there but nowhere else) - the Gaza Strip, and the West Bank of the Jordan River.

That's really basic, and probably doesn't explain much, but hopefully it shows how screwed the whole situation is. And the death of the foremost Palestinian leader won't help any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)