Yet another what to bring to uni thread (1 Viewer)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
humphdogg said:
rubbish! how offensive. i'll have you know i'm quite the sexy buff guy!

well, not quite. but still. bruce guys certainly aren't bad ;)

oh, and you don't really need pjs, plenty of my friends sleep naked (hilarious when they forget to lock their door and you accidentally walk in on them though... get used to it at college).

and i generally just wander out to breakfast in my dressing gown every day. it's a great look. especially on friday mornings in particular, because i almost certainly have to be wearing sunglasses then...
ew dude

are any of them of the female species?

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
What about cars? The college webpages say that they aren't really necessary, but would it be useful to drive one up? How many people have a car?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Eriny said:
What about cars? The college webpages say that they aren't really necessary, but would it be useful to drive one up? How many people have a car?
they're definitely useful.

i don't have one as i can't even drive (just turned 20 and i've never driven in my life :D ).

but probably half my friends have cars. it's useful when you need to go somewhere, which is admittedly rarely. you'll spend most of your time on campus really, and you'll only really go off campus to pick up alcohol, head out clubbing, or go shopping in civic, all of which are in walking distance.

the only times i'd need a car would be to go to dan murphy's to pick up uber cheap alcohol, which was a 10 minute drive away at belconnen, or to go on road trips down the coast with friends (2-3 hours).

so yeah, useful, but not necessary. they're handy to have though.

Evilo

HSC
Eriny said:
They can be useful. But they're expensive to look after (you have to pay for parking etc). This year the carpark has been subject to numerous break-ins and hail storm damage. There is the lockup carpark which is more expensive.

The main problem with having a car is everyone mooches off you for rides to the airport etc - which from what my friends say gets really annoying. Apart from that they can be useful.

Do i have a car? no. I have a bicycle, and i take bus if need be. I lasted the whole year without a car, and i think i called a taxi twice (because i was sick).

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Okay, thanks. I can't actually drive yet but I'm trying to work out if I need to get that sorted. Are taxis very expensive in Canberra? And are the bus services good?

Evilo

HSC
taxis i spose are average price, can usually get where you want pretty quickly because of the minimal number of lights (just the 1 billion roundabouts lol)

Bus service is pretty good. Sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge getting a service that you want (because some operate on peak hours only). But they are much better than sydney, or any other country i've been to. The tickets cost relativly nothing and if you have a bicycle (and there is a bus with a space on its bike rack) - you ride for free. the bus terminal is a short walk from ANU - its where all the busses leave from - and is the quickest way to get anywhere (rather than being lazy and catching the anu bus the long way around to the city terminal)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
taxis i spose are average price, can usually get where you want pretty quickly because of the minimal number of lights (just the 1 billion roundabouts lol)
We won't ever have to leave the city centre, will we? I've got a few relatives living near Woden and last time I went over there it took quite some time to get there.

humphdogg said:
btw schmeag, do you post on FSN at all?
No, do you know someone there under the same name?:confused:

Evilo said:
the bus terminal is a short walk from ANU - its where all the busses leave from - and is the quickest way to get anywhere (rather than being lazy and catching the anu bus the long way around to the city terminal)
In regard to bicycles, Katie the Bruce Hall receptionist said that the bikes get stolen sometimes. Does this mean I should get a cheap second-hand one to discourage potential thieves? How about locks? Do we still need them, or are they still ineffective?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Eriny said:
And are the bus services good?
yep. seeing as you're a chick and i'm stereotyping here... but all of the three large (3 stories) Westfields here are linked by a bus (that runs past ANU) that runs every 10 minutes - the 300 and 100 series. all it costs is $1.50 per ride and you can catch as many buses as you like in 90 minutes after you first paid. the buses are pretty spacious and 90% are air-conditioned/heated so it's sweet during summer/winter.

taxi's are freaking expensive though. catching a taxi that took me home from city (which is a 15-20 minute drive) on a saturday night cost me $40.

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Schmeag said:
In regard to bicycles, Katie the Bruce Hall receptionist said that the bikes get stolen sometimes. Does this mean I should get a cheap second-hand one to discourage potential thieves? How about locks? Do we still need them, or are they still ineffective?
bikes tend to be common among law kids because the law faculties tend to be a relatively long distance from the heart of the campus (where the manning clark theatres are - where i'd say 80% of first year units are taught).

my advice - just get a cheap one such that it wouldn't result in the end of the world if it gets stolen (a $100-150 one would do) and grab a U-lock.

unco_wannabe

HSC
fuck....i should be discussing what to bring argh *dont wanna go to newcaslte law/arts* dont make me go...*kicks feet* *holds on to door*
wanna go anu with all the cool people :(

a protest? a rally ? 'let unco_wannabe in?"
:(
maybe 09 peoples maybe 09
*quietly sits in the corner of the room..sobbing*

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
We won't ever have to leave the city centre, will we? I've got a few relatives living near Woden and last time I went over there it took quite some time to get there.
You can get to woden by bus, ive ridden on my bike (it takes a while, but is flat)

Schmeag said:
Bikes get stolen when people leave them *unlocked*, or out in the open (in say Union Court) over night. Almost all the colleges offer lock up sheds - use them.

If you want a lock, ANU green subsedise D-Locks. from memory thye are $25 for a good quality Kryptonite lock (good value). To get one, go to the carpark purchasing place, ay for it, then walk down to hallway to anu green and collect it (show the reciept).

I have a top quality disc break/suspension bike. Never had it nicked - but im anally retentive about where i park it (and how secure i lock it). I've left it in the city for a few hours and nobody has touched it. Googling will suggest buying a crap bike for transportation - do what you like, i use mine for going down telstra tower at break neck speed (overtaking cars etc) so it had to be good. Really depends how much you can afford/want to spend.

As mentioned before - all the bikes stolen are left unlocked. Actually lock your bike to a solid object when going anywhere. Seriosuly its a simple as that. Unless you have some super expensive bike, theives are probably oppourtunistic (and poor).
Summary - a bike is great, just use a lock.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
unco_wannabe said:
fuck....i should be discussing what to bring argh *dont wanna go to newcaslte law/arts* dont make me go...*kicks feet* *holds on to door*
wanna go anu with all the cool people :(

a protest? a rally ? 'let unco_wannabe in?"
:(
maybe 09 peoples maybe 09
*quietly sits in the corner of the room..sobbing*
damn, that sucks.

if you really wanted to get into ANU apply for Arts/commerce or something requiring 75 and get in on the second round. apply to change to law in your second year. what will happen is the 6 units you did will get credited as electives. the other 2, if you choose to do law electives, will get counted to your law degree. essentially what this means is your law degree's unit choices (if you get in in 09) will be rigid, but atleast it means none of your units go to waste (if you pass them all).

it's recommended that you keep a C average (trust me, for first year, this is NOT hard and even the meatiest of meatheads can do it). a D average should be easily attainable if you're dedicated enough.

if you ask me i strongly suggest you apply for B Comm, and in your second year, add law on top of it. Law/Comm is an insanely popular course.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
jas0nt said:
bikes tend to be common among law kids because the law faculties tend to be a relatively long distance from the heart of the campus (where the manning clark theatres are - where i'd say 80% of first year units are taught)..
Yeah, if you have a look at the campus map you can see how far you need to travel. In my case Johns to the Robertson lecture theatre is too close, so i just walk lol (takes me longer to unlock the bike). Manning Clarke is further away, and its great fun dodging students trying to beat your own PB lol.

My record is a 6.5m skid outside the psychology building. I got so close to the stairs i even turned slightly to get some "sideways" action LOL.
Canberra/ANU is so flat, bikes are easy

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
I'm notoriously absent-minded. I lose everything. I'll stick with a cheapo bike.

A few questions:
1) When is Enrolment Day?
2) Pre-Enrolment Day is 4th Feb. Think it's worth going?
3) I was originally thinking of getting my mum to drive (and practise driving) up to ANU on the first day, because I'd have to bring loads of luggage. But she can't bear driving home alone, so she wants to take a flight with me over to ANU. It means I can all my stuff over in less time. What method of transport do you recommend?
4) Youth Allowance: Do you have it?
5) Can you accept multiple offers from multiple universities? How do they know which one you really want to go to? I accidentally accepted one from the University of Adelaide.
6) How often do they hold question time in parliament house?
7) I want to lug my electric guitar over. Do you know of anyone looking for band crew? Do you know of anyone that has spare time to teach a beginner guitarist?
8) What does ANU think of demonstrators/protesters? How do they react to them?
9) If I feel the need to sing loudly or strum loudly at night, will this affect anybody's health (apart from mine)?
10) My mum was thinking of getting a laptop for doing work in my room as opposed to running down to the labs. I'm doing Arts/Law. Wise choice?
11) Do many people play games on the ANU Intranet? Are they allowed?
12) Is there any place where you can surf any part of the web for free?
13) How much do you recommend I should deposit for download usage?
14) Does the 2c/mb download usage count for loading pages as well?
15) I'm looking at upgrading my bank account. How much do you think I'll be spending each year? Do you think it's wise to keep money in your room?
16) I'll also be bringing along some ID. Is it wise to stow these papers in your room? Do I need a safe chained to the desk in my room, or will just leaving them in a cardboard box suffice to keep away thieves?
17) How often do you have robbery incidents?
18) Can I add you on MSN?
19) What leadership roles/organisational roles do they have?
20) Are their any 'weird' or non-comformist people in Johns?
21) Do emos actually exist? At ANU?
22) Is it possible to appeal if you do not receive the accommodation that you want?
23) How do you find out the cost of each unit?
24) Is the atmosphere at Johns really all hunky dory and full of happy hippies, or do you have 'incidents'?
25) Do we have assemblies or strict schedules in Johns?
26) Do you know of any good computers to buy?
27) If people can 'accidentally' walk into your room whenever they like, will you ever get any peace?
28) I'm an all-rounder at sports. Any recommendations for what sports I could play?
29) What different competitions do you have?
30) I can debate a little and I know a little bit about chess and have had a little experience at acting. I'm all-rounded in pretty much everything. Is it possible to participate in everything?

Sorry, did I annoy you with all these questions? lol

Evilo

HSC
ill answer your "few" questions - gimme abotu 15min lol

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
lol, I forgot to replace "few", actually. I originally intended it to be the first three questions, but I thought "what the hell, might as well go the whole way".

Evilo

HSC
A few questions:
1) When is Enrolment Day?
Its done on the Monday from memory. Don’t sweat. Johns (and all the other colleges) are given times where you go down as a group. Its a pretty easy day, i advise you look up your subject in advance and sort out a “preliminary subject choice” idea, then go with a few questions. It gets a bit harder when people rock up with the name of their degree no idea about majors and no possible elective ideas. While you have the time, research how many “group a” (first year) units you need, how many are compulsory etc - and if not – can “electives” be collected from any faculty etc. Just get a general idea what to expect.

2) Pre-Enrolment Day is 4th Feb. Think it's worth going?
No idea, i didn’t go. I was fine enrolling on the first day. To my knowledge Pre-enrolment was for uber-keen students, and people who were going to be somewhere else on enrolment day.

3) I was originally thinking of getting my mum to drive (and practise driving) up to ANU on the first day, because I'd have to bring loads of luggage. But she can't bear driving home alone, so she wants to take a flight with me over to ANU. It means I can all my stuff over in less time. What method of transport do you recommend?
Hmmmm. In my case i took the bus down for o-week, then both my parents came up on the Sunday with all my main luggage. You could rent a car, and your mum could fly back? I asked a (melb) mate and he said he drove up with his dad and then he drove back alone.

4) Youth Allowance: Do you have it?
No but i know plenty who have. Once you are eligible, they allow you to work a certain number of hours a week (if you like) and they put their funds in your account on a fortnightly basis. You would have to speak with centerlink about that.

5) Can you accept multiple offers from multiple universities? How do they know which one you really want to go to? I accidentally accepted one from the University of Adelaide.
Call UAC and tell them what’s happened – do it fast. Then call UofA and tell them you “accidently” accepted, then call anu and tell them what happened. That’s what i would do for peace of mind lol. Probably only the first bit is needed, but oh well – better safe than sorry

6) How often do they hold question time in parliament house?
Not sure, but i know at least one person from johns who goes. (from memory) he went every Wednesday (or every second Wednesday) – cant remember

7) I want to lug my electric guitar over. Do you know of anyone looking for band crew? Do you know of anyone that has spare time to teach a beginner guitarist?
I’m sure you’ll find someone to teach/jam with. You’ll meet other enthusiasts like yourself during o-week. If you come to johns ill introduce you to our rocking guitar player (although hes in his own band, he’ll probably me more than happy to chat with you about guitars lol)

8) What does ANU think of demonstrators/protesters? How do they react to them?
Doesn’t happen very often. I think something happened last year when Brendan Nelson came? It spoiled the event, but that’s typical extremists for you. Its (ANU) not as political as you might think – like i’m quite politically biased, but no one from my “group” enforces our political influence on anyone.

9) If I feel the need to sing loudly or strum loudly at night, will this affect anybody's health (apart from mine)?
Noise down at 10pm, might be good to take advantage of the music rooms etc. I play music loud, people just tell me to turn it down and i’ll respect that. We’re all in there together lol

10) My mum was thinking of getting a laptop for doing work in my room as opposed to running down to the labs. I'm doing Arts/Law. Wise choice?
Have a read of the other articles about that.
I say yes, but people have lasted without one. Comes down to economics, and how lazy you are. They can be a distraction too. If worst came to worse you could by an average desktop and have it delivered to Johns for less than $800

11) Do many people play games on the ANU Intranet? Are they allowed?
Yes, unsure
I always play counterstrike (because my laptop is crap), but there’s WOW, CStrike-Source and any other game you can think of.

12) Is there any place where you can surf any part of the web for free?
In the computer rooms (everywhere except your room essentially) you are allocated 10mb a day. Also places like the Manning Clarke Centre have unlimited internet via wireless, but if you abuse it they will call you up for “chats”

13) How much do you recommend I should deposit for download usage?
I put $20 down, id say $20 minimum for your first day, it doesn’t take much effort to add more – it just is really annoying if you run out and you’re halfway through an assignment – and it’s a weekend!

14) Does the 2c/mb download usage count for loading pages as well?
Anything that is sent back to your computer (download) is charged (except from .anu.edu.au domain). Uploads are not charged. Although i don’t know much, yes that includes page data.

15) I'm looking at upgrading my bank account. How much do you think I'll be spending each year? Do you think it's wise to keep money in your room?
I’m not too sure, you can survive off about $20-30 a week, but if you want to buy other stuff you would need more. There is a thread about this too. Jason had some insightful information from memory.
Money – keep it hidden, i don’t keep more than about $200 in more room a) because you don’t need much more as a poor uni student and b) large amounts of cash is asking for trouble. Get a debit card if need be, almost everything except for “a night out” can be put on a debit card.
People who have access to your room
a) Cleaners
b) The Duty tutor
c) Senior Residents (they have a key to the people on their “hallway” only)
d) Maintenance
e) Head of college etc
f) you
I haven’t had any problems with any of the above, just be smart. Its better not to leave an “opportunity” for people to take things

16) I'll also be bringing along some ID. Is it wise to stow these papers in your room? Do I need a safe chained to the desk in my room, or will just leaving them in a cardboard box suffice to keep away thieves?
I just hid them well. Safe will probably just attract thieves if people know you have it.

17) How often do you have robbery incidents?
Once happened last year at johns. It happened during lunch when people left their doors unlocked. The thieves got 2 laptops, ipods, wallets etc. Its pretty obvious stuff to be honest – lock your door when you leave the room.

18) Can I add you on MSN?
Yeah pm me and ill add u

19) What leadership roles/organisational roles do they have?
There is 1st year representative for the RA (residents association). The others are for 2nd years and above.

20) Are their any 'weird' or non-comformist people in Johns?
Yes, is suppose, but everyone is different, and everyone has a group of friends to join into.
There’s 320 residents, so it will be pretty easy to find a group to join into

21) Do emos actually exist? At ANU?
A) Yes, b) not that ive seen – well “true” emos anyway. They mostly live around Guarema place (spelling) in civic if you’re into that culture
22) Is it possible to appeal if you do not receive the accommodation that you want?
I don’t believe so, that would be something that you would have to sort out with the chick from anu accom. If you didn’t get into what you wanted, my advice would be to get involved for the 1st sem as much as possible, then beg the respective colleges to take you for 2nd sem. You might like it in the 1st college after all too.

23) How do you find out the cost of each unit?
Unit? Hall/college
http://accom.anu.edu.au/UAS/1328/ve...Summary 2008.pdf?branch=main&language=default

24) Is the atmosphere at Johns really all hunky dory and full of happy hippies, or do you have 'incidents'?
Define incedents...
Of course theres going to be drama – its not going to be fake and “plastic” faces. People have their own problems etc – deal with it in different way.
When you give me a definition i’ll probably answer that one off the main forum.
Bottom line – no place will be perfect, johns isn’t like that “stepford wives” movie lol

25) Do we have assemblies or strict schedules in Johns?
Everything is optional- except for all of college meetings held about once a term for half an hour (and they don’t mark the role too lol, but its expected that you show up). Its uni now, its your life – you can do (almost) whatever you want.

26) Do you know of any good computers to buy?
Dell, asus <see other thread>

27) If people can 'accidentally' walk into your room whenever they like, will you ever get any peace?
You’ve got a door lock, most people will respect your privacy if you want to be left alone. Also everyone knows if you need time to yourself – and at one point or another we all do.

28) I'm an all-rounder at sports. Any recommendations for what sports I could play?
They will tell you on the second day what there is on offer :)

29) What different competitions do you have?
WE have interhall sports competition and interhall arts comeption
Sports – pretty obvious
Arts – chess, debating, trivia, talent show?, etc

30) I can debate a little and I know a little bit about chess and have had a little experience at acting. I'm all-rounded in pretty much everything. Is it possible to participate in everything?
Sure why not lol, You’ll get the right balance eventually, just keep in mind you are here for a degree too. I advise to go for as much as possible, then see what suits.

Sorry, did I annoy you with all these questions? Lol
Nah its fine lol, a bit longer than half an hour though ;)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Hey thanks for answering the long question sheet of d00m guys!

if they don't knock usually it means you can punch them in the manberries without guilt.
If they have them.... I hope they don't and I hope they look nice. :) No clothes, preferably.

i suggest you pay $40 a month and get 5gb of wireless internet from Vodafone.
On average, is this what most people do? Sounds a bit expensive for a poor uni student lol

Evilo

HSC
lol $40 a month is a bit steep for me. Tbh it depends how much "downloads" you do.
Remember you've got 10mb a day on your info-commons lab computers (300mb a month) then you've got our file sharing friend, apart from late night msn i cant see what else you would need $40 (a month) worth of internet for.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
Remember you've got 10mb a day on your info-commons lab computers (300mb a month) then you've got our file sharing friend, apart from late night msn i cant see what else you would need $40 (a month) worth of internet for.
true i guess. just depends what you use the net for :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)