Yet another what to bring to uni thread (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
jas0nt said:
true i guess. just depends what you use the net for :)
yes you're right. Wow you must be downloading alot, but oh you're living off campus though? (my memory correct?)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
yes you're right. Wow you must be downloading alot, but oh you're living off campus though? (my memory correct?)
yeah bro. can't live without my downloaded tv shows from the states :)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
How do you guys share stuff if you can only use 10mb a day. Or do you import from home?

Evilo

HSC
10mb a day quote only applied to internet outside the .anu.edu.au prefix.
Shared stuff is all internal (runs between the colleges) so it doesnt count. Otherwise id be up for a pretty hefty bill lol.
I can explain more on msn next time lol

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
lol wtf you said you were going to sleep. ;) But what I meant was wouldn't the shared stuff be the same? ie no new stuff from the Internet?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
some people who live at home leak stuff onto the internal network, i would think.

if only i had a laptop. i probably have (collectively) 1 terabyte of TV shows and movies, plus 100Gb or so of MP3s (anyone like metal/80's-90's rock?) :cool:

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Hmm... I like some of that era of music. Got any more recent MP3 music?:santa:

Evilo

HSC
jasont is right
also newbies and internationals bring new stuff
One guy works at a video store
Others are so keen on tv shows they download them and they just pay for the charge.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
I'm tossing up whether I should buy a laptop to bring to uni, or if I should just bring my existing desktop. Does anyone have any opinions/experiences regarding that?

Evilo

HSC
Cant hurt just bringing the desktop, if you find you need a lappy, just buy it at a later date. I think what annoys people (who dont have a computer) is having to walk to the info-commons (computer) rooms when you want to check webct/anu email etc. I don't bring my laptop to lectures, the general census here was the same.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
Evilo said:
Cant hurt just bringing the desktop, if you find you need a lappy, just buy it at a later date. I think what annoys people (who dont have a computer) is having to walk to the info-commons (computer) rooms when you want to check webct/anu email etc. I don't bring my laptop to lectures, the general census here was the same.
Okay, thanks. I guess I'll keep a lookout for a laptop that's good/reasonably priced but I'll probably just bring up my good ol' desktop. With a TV card :D

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
have you been in the copland IT labs? smells like crap in there (in all the labs).

ironically enough the IT labs smell a lot nicer (it has no smell).

I am here!

HSC
N/A
I talking to a friend today about getting some gloves. He told me to get 'a cup of toughen the fuck up' instead.

Where would I be without my friends? :D

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
exospacial said:
You think I need to bring gloves to prepare for winter?
nope. take chopper reid's advice ;)

Last edited:

exospacial

HSC
N/A
Ok...quick question (I'm leaving Hong Kong to visit my relatives in Australia in about 22 hours time), should I bring my high school grades with me? Would it be useful for some uni work or whatever?

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
I doubt it. Just bring a resume, backed-up with some written references or qualification certificates. I doubt you'd need original ones. What type of grades would you be talking about? Did you do the HKCEE or something?

Evilo

HSC
jas0nt said:
have you been in the copland IT labs? smells like crap in there (in all the labs).

ironically enough the IT labs smell a lot nicer (it has no smell).
I havent been to copland ('cos i don't have any classes [near] there). IT smells ok i spose (i didn't really try and smell the place - but it runs on ubuntu/linux. Most halls/colleges have their own computer labs connected to the anu network. BoZo (I think its biology), Geography, science library (ive been there 1000 times and forget the name lol) and chifley labs are all pretty good?

Evilo

HSC
Schmeag said:
I doubt it. Just bring a resume, backed-up with some written references or qualification certificates. I doubt you'd need original ones. What type of grades would you be talking about? Did you do the HKCEE or something?
i brought my cv and 'folio' with all the backed up written references.
Now you're at anu they wont 'request' anything like that (well ive never had to anyway).

BTW guys/gals - make sure you being a proper form of ID for going out. If you're international (and don't want to bring your passport around), you can pay for a "proof of age card", just need the correct forms of evidence that you are who you are.

Eriny

Awesome Member
HSC
What kind of ID do they require for enrollment? Will the basic learners permit and medicare card be enough?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)