how much $$$ are we lookin at each semester or per year on text books. (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
well by the looks of it, we are gonna be buyin our dam texts book, so how much are we looking at. like an average text book and how do people buy them and afford them....

can the lecturer give u a photocopy of them or naa...

sex is the key!

spence

HSC
It depends on what course you're doing, whether you buy all the texts or not, and whether you buy new or second hand

rasengan90

HSC
It depends on what course you're doing, whether you buy all the texts or not, and whether you buy new or second hand
What would be a pretty average price for a second hand book?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Most good condition second hand texts generally go for 20-30% less. Rarely will you get them for 50% or less.

My cheapest text has been $65. Spent $230 on two text books the other day, $70 on another and I still have one to go that is about ~$60

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
You can also just borrow them for a few hours from the Library Reserve if you don't want to buy them at all

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
You can also just borrow them for a few hours from the Library Reserve if you don't want to buy them at all
If you're lucky and the book isn't in high demand, you can do this for the entire semester.

Last semester i only paid about $60 for 5 books (and that $60 was on a second hand book for 1 subject).

1 subject i bought the book second hand, 1 didn't require a text book, 1 i borrowed from the library, 1 was available online and the last one i already had.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
It depends. I managed without buying a single textbook for uni.

maz5

HSC
What would be an average price per semester for those who do buy them(either second hand or new)?
Do you think $800 for text books for the year will cover it?

Last edited:

nick1689

HSC
It all depends on what subjects you do, and if either you need to buy a text book or a course reader (which are generally cheaper than text books)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
picked up a brick of a chem textbook ([recent] organic chemistry by mcmurry) for $25 from a shop in newtown last year. no disc but an awesome find.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
is it really necessary to buy the textbooks?

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Depends for economics based subjects for me

Year1 sem 1 ~$300
Sem 2 ~$350
Year 2 sem 1 ~$200
Sem 2 ~$450

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
is it really necessary to buy the textbooks?

Again really depends on the unit. I've gotten away without a textbook or reader for a few subjects. These usually have extremely decent lecture notes or cover topics of which there is much freely accessible material. For the most part however, you'll need to have the textbook/readers, or at least have access to them.

conics2008

HSC
eff all this, im gonna get me photo copied version of my text.. will people think im a wanker if i photo copy the pages or the chapter that is required, or will the lectuer dude have a little cry about it...

spence

HSC
Thanks, that's a good indication.
Anyone from Arts?
In my (admittedly limited) experience, arts subjects are more likely to use course readers, which cost ~$20-30. That said, some will require textbooks

Miss Winey

HSC
I've done 4 years of arts
and for my language subjects, I had to pay for a text book and I got it free from an older student (this is a good reason to join and meet people from your faculty society). I also had a workbook, which i paid for. it wasn't too bad. like <$30

For all my anthropology, cultural studies, gender studies and history subjects i had readers. which were around $20-$30. not too bad.
you can get by finding the texts yourself and then photocopying, but it'll be around the same price and not worth the effort.

When i did a subject in education, the reader had 40% photo copied from it.
i really liked, so when i started working part time in teaching, i got my boss to buy it. gotta love getting tax cuts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)