Doing a Speech, 2009. (1 Viewer)

guff

HSC
Hey guys nice to see some fellow 09' Speechgivers. Just looking for a little feedback in regard to concepts. My speech is going to be entertaining and educational and out there, i hope. My idea was to deliver a speech that Hannibal (no, not Anthony Hopkins, I mean the General with the elephants) might have delivered to the Carthaginian army and her allies before they fought with the Romans at the Battle of Cannae. Now in terms of concepts I have almost no idea, I somehow got 5/5 for the proposal but I'm getting worried for the Viva Voce. My speech's purpose will be to entertain and educate regarding the context of that time, the little known personality of Hannibal and the power of motivation. (By the way Hannibal ended up kicking the Roman's butts even though they outnumbered his army 2 to 1).

Also, how much of your actual speeches have you done so far?
True Hannibal was successful; but he was turned back from the Alps... and i'd be pretty damn that there are few time the Romans tourtured more then they did when they finally captured Carthage!

guff

HSC
Thank you Thank you that's a very constructive reply! I think we kinda have the same views coz I was using those ideas already. I put my speech into 9 parts (18 minutes speaking, 2 minutes per part and 2 minutes for intergrated sound effects) These are the segments:

1. Introduction highlights the different races in the army, showing research into the particular battle. I am sticking with my original introduction as it was very strong and possessed the qualities that make a good speech.
2. Personal inspiration story from the childhood of Hannibal. When I started this project I stated I wanted to explore the little known personality and character of Hannibal, shown in historical evidence.
3. Journey so far; share the experiences that everyone went through. Once more this will display my research and create a feeling of comradeship between those listening.
4. Incite anger at the Romans from the First Punic War. One source mentions how many of the fighters at Cannae would have had fathers who fought in the First Punic War. This creates a sense of purpose to those listening. It also ‘reminds’ the soldiers that they never want to be lackey to the Romans again.
5. After their anger is stirred up more specific battle information can be laid out, such as highlighting the advantages of the Carthaginian army and the disadvantages of the Roman army. This part of the speech contains a realistic sense as Hannibal would have wanted to ease the fears of those who were scared.
6. Remind them of what will happen if the Romans succeed. For example; rape, pillage, loot, command, burn, kill and destroy.
7. Appeal to brotherhood and comradeship, this part of the speech is very important as it has motivation at its core and decides whether or not the speech is successful in creating the idea of an impending battle.
8. Appeal also to the family instincts of the soldiers; remind them of their wives and children.
9. Finally to conclude the speech and give it a spiritual and higher purpose element, talk about a vision for the future after the Romans are defeated and end with a roar.

Any changes you'd make to that? Good to find someone else knowledgeble and passionate about this era as well! Thank you!
Just so you know, sound effects and music are not counted in your speech time; as long as you're not speaking at the time they are made.
I think you have a brilliant idea, and have it increadibly well planned out, and it sounds like it will be very interesting to listen to.
You have already been talking about this with someone else; but i think part 5 should probably get the boot... I don't blieve it would fit in with either the age, the context and especially Hannibal himself, to reassure his followers... the pawns of an army would never hear the 'tactics' of a battle - and you also have to remember you have to justify it as an english major work; rather than a history one - i had a similar problem, but found my way into an examination of the language.
But otherwise... it's a very impressive idea, and i'm sure will be very interesting to research!

nmbookworm

HSC
Just so you know, sound effects and music are not counted in your speech time; as long as you're not speaking at the time they are made.
I think you have a brilliant idea, and have it increadibly well planned out, and it sounds like it will be very interesting to listen to.
You have already been talking about this with someone else; but i think part 5 should probably get the boot... I don't blieve it would fit in with either the age, the context and especially Hannibal himself, to reassure his followers... the pawns of an army would never hear the 'tactics' of a battle - and you also have to remember you have to justify it as an english major work; rather than a history one - i had a similar problem, but found my way into an examination of the language.
But otherwise... it's a very impressive idea, and i'm sure will be very interesting to research!
Hey Guff cheers for the input. Im considering only adding in very minimal sounds effects, may be a massive raw of applause or two for Hannibal as he comes and then concludes? And also having some effective battle music in the background, lots of deep drums, very subtle adrenaline creating noises etc. Stuff that increases your heart rate.

Now for part 5 you are quite right in the idea that Hannibal wouldnt have been laying detailed battle plans. But perhaps he would have placed emphasis on certain parts of his army do complete certain tasks. For example; "Infantry, it is YOUR experience and valour that will win us this fight, no matter how many more Romans are drawn to our lines you MUST hold them back, and dont fear, for your brothers in the cavalry will engage and defend your lives" or something like that. Is that kind of information ok? or do you still think I should scrap it.

E

Empyrean444

Now for part 5 you are quite right in the idea that Hannibal wouldnt have been laying detailed battle plans. But perhaps he would have placed emphasis on certain parts of his army do complete certain tasks. For example; "Infantry, it is YOUR experience and valour that will win us this fight, no matter how many more Romans are drawn to our lines you MUST hold them back, and dont fear, for your brothers in the cavalry will engage and defend your lives" or something like that. Is that kind of information ok? or do you still think I should scrap it.
To interject: I think this would be fine, though I would make it even more figurative and emotive (to avoid falling into the trap of tactic detailing). I like the stuff about holding them back and showing courage and discipline - maybe call them the bulwark of Carthage or something. With the cavalry (obviosuly you have just given an off the cuff example) rather than mentioning 'defending' their lives, I would mention something about "bringing swift death" to the Romans and dismembering them (because they attack and disable the Roman wings, which function, to use the body metaphor for the army, as the limbs). Such language would be good, as it would allow you to subliminally outline the differing roles of the foot and the cav without falling into a lecture on history or pure tactics. If, however, you need to cut something out for purposes of time/length, then this section probably should get the boot. Also be careful about calling the cavalry their brothers - many were Numidians!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)