• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it okay to bug teachers? (2 Viewers)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Albert Einstein was a teacher-bugger. He constantly pestered them with any questions that came to mind, and kept pursuing them until he got a satisfactory understanding.

Im thinking of the application of this in the classroom. Is this acceptable? I can see that doing this to a modest amount could be quite helpful (i.e if you don't know something, to raise the question immeadiatly). Do teachers appreciate this 'enthusiasm', or are they annoyed by it? What do you think?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Yeah thats pretty much what I do. Except I seem to be getting mixed feedback from my teachers about this.. 'question nagging'. Some teachers are quite happy to take on any questions, even though it absorbs some time from the lesson. Others seem to be annoyed at the 'disruption' and answer my question grudgingly. This seems to be an issue, because while I personally think we students have almost an OBLIGATION to ask as many questions as we can, my tuition teacher thinks the opposite (i was expelled for asking too many questions). And ain't no idiot either.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Teachers are paid to do their job. However, it's not acceptable to extend your "bugging" after school-hours. Within school hours (except their free time), it will be fine.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
hey they get paid to teach.
if they decide to give you their email, facebook, etc - don't bug them

K

khorne

Asking related questions in class = A-ko as long as it doesn't consume too much time (Think of the other people).

Question outside the syllabus or lesson plan should probably be left for after/before class or lunch etc.

Brontecat

HSC
i have the same problem sometimes some teachers hate questions the others love questions but i guess you just have to do what you need to do to cater to your individual learning style - i always ask teachers that dislike questions heaps of questions anyway

HSC
Um...no

Teaching is their JOB. Many would consider, of course, teaching as their career...but for many teaching is merely a job.
yes that's true but there's no point teaching students and go on waffling about if they wont understand it. Therefore questions should be asked and answered so that there is effective communication going on. It would allow the teacher to explain further what students don't understand. What's the point of sitting in the classroom and pretending that you get everything when you don't? what benefits will you get from that?

K

khorne

Questions are ok if relevant, but again, a class of 24 can't have everyone asking questions. If someone doesn't understand something, then they should seek help, but not disturb anyone else's learning process. If that makes sense.

Thus it's always good to do a bit of googling or forum asking beforehand.

Also - Don't be one of those people who read something, and then ask a question about it to prove to everyone they're smart...it doesn't work and makes you look even more stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordPc

HSC
definately ask questions that you want to know the answer to, but dont go around asking thousands of questions that are just a pointless because you think it will help.

these kids are just annoying, they will ask a question without putting thier hand up or anything every time the teacher pauses for a few seconds to think or breathe or do anything.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Albert Einstein was a teacher-bugger. He constantly pestered them with any questions that came to mind, and kept pursuing them until he got a satisfactory understanding.

Im thinking of the application of this in the classroom. Is this acceptable? I can see that doing this to a modest amount could be quite helpful (i.e if you don't know something, to raise the question immeadiatly). Do teachers appreciate this 'enthusiasm', or are they annoyed by it? What do you think?
My chem and eco teachers love it when i ask them questions at lunch time, not so much with my maths teacher though, he gets around to answering them but he always seems to be busy when i ask, but hes still good

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
with some teachers, they LOVE it when you ask q's. my maths teacher gave our whole class his personal email to email him whenever we have a problem, even on weekends and hols, and he'll answer within a day. :)

others are just pms-y all the time so dont bug them.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Um...no

Teaching is their JOB. Many would consider, of course, teaching as their career...but for many teaching is merely a job.
Well a teacher who considers teaching to be a job isn't much of a teacher and should not be teaching at HSC level.

My teachers are more than willing to help. When I have a practice essay, my teacher will read it. When I need help, I can email my teacher with the assurance they'll email me back with quality advice, and I highly appreciate that.

The bottom line is... it's their job... and in most cases (especially in private schools I've noticed, not saying that public schools are any different), the teachers want you to perform well and will push you to do well (I know my teachers are like that).

In saying that... if a problem arises, try and solve it yourself, but if you can't end up solving it - ask your teacher. But remain respectful and be patient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)