• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying maths ext.2 after high school (2 Viewers)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Right now im in year twelve studying 3 unit maths. I quite like mathematics, but unfortunately couldn't get into the extension two class for year 12. What opportunities do I have for studying ext.2 maths after high school?

Do places like TAFE offer ext.2 maths? Is it worth going? How much does it cost?
Can I learn ext.2 maths at a normal high school?
Can I learn the course in the period between high school and uni, and then amend my UAI to accomodate my result from ext.2?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
why not just do mathematics in uni? it would be of the same difficulty, if not harder than high school maths.

but yeah you can do a subject at tafe later on, as long as it is within five years of your first hsc course. i'm not sure how much it would cost, go onto the TAFE website, it might tell you there.

no i'm pretty sure you won't be able to study it at a normal high school. maybe open high school will do it, but i don't know.

i think your best bet is just to study maths in uni though, especially if you want to do it because you really like maths.

MC Squidge

BOS' Apex Predator
HSC
from the look of your location your a muslim and extension two mathematics isnt for you

lychnobity

HSC
Do places like TAFE offer ext.2 maths? Is it worth going? How much does it cost?
Can I learn ext.2 maths at a normal high school?
Can I learn the course in the period between high school and uni, and then amend my UAI to accomodate my result from ext.2?
At TAFE: You would be learning the extension 2 course in 6 months, succeeding will be difficult.

I think you can notify the board to re-calculate your UAI to accommodate your extension 2 score though, I'm not too sure.

Whether it's worth learning the extension 2 course is up to you. It would seriously mess with tertiary study arrangements - I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
just get whatever UAI ur gonna get

and whatever u wanna do, do a double degree with Science, majorring in mahematics

eg engineering/science, commerce/science, arts/science, science/law, etc...

or just do science majoring in maths and something else

dp624

HSC
from the look of your location your a muslim and extension two mathematics isnt for you
rolfol

on topic: just do maths at uni? try a flexible degree like sciences or whatever

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to do 'a bridging course for extension 2 mathematics'? Although I like mathematics, im not too crazy about studying at a tertiary level (see, I wish to pusue a different degree)

I couldn't find any extension 2 maths courses in the TAFE website, only courses up to extension 1.

edit: im not the person in my avatar

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to do 'a bridging course for extension 2 mathematics'? Although I like mathematics, im not too crazy about studying at a tertiary level (see, I wish to pusue a different degree)

I couldn't find any extension 2 maths courses in the TAFE website, only courses up to extension 1.

I gather u'd like to know a little bit more maths. Unless it is for UAI purposes, there is nothing to stop u from pursuing it on on ur own. Then u don't necessarily want to stick to ext 2. Why u can pick up a copy of 1st yr uni text on Calculus, Linear Algebra (maybe u can pick a copy at a books sale (like I did a Stewart: Calculus (3rd Edn) ) for $5); if ur rich u can pick up a new one. See how u go from there. If ur still interested, u can branch out from there.

Edit

Exphate has given an excellent link.

Last edited:

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Why wouldn't I want to stick to ext.2? Is something wrong with it?

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
i'm going MX2 this year, teaching myself...you cane enroll through Board of Studies, instead of through a school and that allows you to do any a one unit (or 2 units) if you've met all prerequisites e.g done MX1 to do MX2 or you could do MX1+MX2... Yes your'e UAI will be amended ie. Mathematics mark will no longer count and your 3U and 4U marks will become 2U's each and will get marked /100 etc. Any more Q, just let me know

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC

okay, why do you want to do ext two then if you don't want to study it at a tertiary level?

i really don't get this.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
-Because I like maths.
-To possibly increase my UAI.
-Be on equal ground at uni to all the people who have done ext.2 maths. Engineering is a very maths-based discipline, and without good math you're at a disadvantage

These are decent reasons, right? Im not wasting my time doing maths ext.2, right?

zzdfa

HSC
teach yourself

edit: hmm i guess that doesn't increase your uai though

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Not many females like maths, so that's unusual :p

Are you doing MX2 at school now?

The thing about doing MX2 and doing MX1 at the same time is that MX2 helps alot with MX1 (provided that you actually do work in MX2). So ultimately, you could get a better score in MX1 if you did it whilst doing MX2, rather than doing MX1 one year and doing MX2 the year after (acceleration).

-Because I like maths.
-To possibly increase my UAI.
-Be on equal ground at uni to all the people who have done ext.2 maths. Engineering is a very maths-based discipline, and without good math you're at a disadvantage

These are decent reasons, right? Im not wasting my time doing maths ext.2, right?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Nah Im just doing ext.1 at the moment. Im not too fond of taking a year to complete the MX2 course though, i was thinking more like doing it in the period b/w high school graduation and uni.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why wouldn't I want to stick to ext.2? Is something wrong with it?
You need to if u r planning to take the ext 2 exam. Else there are so many areas u can explore if u wish to pursue maths for fun, such as: bit of set theory, a bit of linear algebra (solution of set of linear equations, matrices, determinants, vector spaces ... ), a bit more calculus as in ext 2 + more (learn concept of limits more fully), vector algebra, discrete maths, differential equations etc. Maybe u don't care for mechanics (in ext 2) so u just ignore it. u pursue what u like. Read the books yourself; try to understand by yourself; ask friends or others if u r in a deadend. Or post your questions on BOS, There is such a wealth of helpful talent out there.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)