• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying maths ext.2 after high school (2 Viewers)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I have no idea what that link is talking about.
MANSW is the subject association for maths teachers in NSW.

The courses on that page are professional development courses for teachers who will be teaching MX1 and MX2 for the first time. Highly unlikely they will be of any use to someone who is trying to teach themselves MX2 content.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
-Because I like maths.
-To possibly increase my UAI.
-Be on equal ground at uni to all the people who have done ext.2 maths. Engineering is a very maths-based discipline, and without good math you're at a disadvantage

These are decent reasons, right? Im not wasting my time doing maths ext.2, right?
well:

-if u like maths, then u wouldnt mind studying it at school OR at uni (which u will if u do engineering)
-MX2 WILL increase your UAI if you do well in it, but if you want to get engineering, you'll only need a UAI in the 80's,s o consider whther u need to boost your UAI - in any case, it wont make a HUGE difference, maybe only 1-2 UAI points max
-lol most people who do engineering that i know have only come from a MX1 background (one i know is doing aeronautical at USYD and he only did General Maths!) - MX2 background is not needed, theyll teach you everything you need

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
Yeah, if ur doing engineering, they generally expect u 2 pick up maths anyway. Much of the MX2 course (ex conics) is taught in the first year @ uni in either maths or physics.

Also, it is possible to take elective subjects in first year. Check the specifications of the exact degree u want 2 do

sinophile

HSC
N/A
well:

-if u like maths, then u wouldnt mind studying it at school OR at uni (which u will if u do engineering)
-MX2 WILL increase your UAI if you do well in it, but if you want to get engineering, you'll only need a UAI in the 80's,s o consider whther u need to boost your UAI - in any case, it wont make a HUGE difference, maybe only 1-2 UAI points max
-lol most people who do engineering that i know have only come from a MX1 background (one i know is doing aeronautical at USYD and he only did General Maths!) - MX2 background is not needed, theyll teach you everything you need
Yeah, if ur doing engineering, they generally expect u 2 pick up maths anyway. Much of the MX2 course (ex conics) is taught in the first year @ uni in either maths or physics.

Also, it is possible to take elective subjects in first year. Check the specifications of the exact degree u want 2 do
I see! So in engineering at uni, they in fact teach the extension 2 subjects that you'll need? Thats good.

So does this mean that self-studying MX2 during the period between high school graduation and university is mostly defunct? Or will it bring tangible benefits in university that is worth the time?

By the way, how exactly would the board of studies test your MX2 ability so they could amend your UAI? Do they give you a test, or look at your assesment mark, or what?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
you'd have to do the mx2 hsc exam next year so it would take a year. i think you're wasting your time imho. that's why i said just study maths at a tertiary level, even just one unit ie, first semester. you'd be fine with mx1 and i wouldn't worry about your uai. it wouldn't change much.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
you'd have to do the mx2 hsc exam next year so it would take a year. i think you're wasting your time imho. that's why i said just study maths at a tertiary level, even just one unit ie, first semester. you'd be fine with mx1 and i wouldn't worry about your uai. it wouldn't change much.
you'd have to do the mx2 hsc exam next year so it would take a year.

So it'd take a year for my UAI to be recalculated?
REALLY? IS THIS TRUE?
If it is then 4u after high school is pretty useless then.. I should just study whatever maths i like

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Much of the MX2 course (ex conics) is taught in the first year @ uni in either maths or physics.
I hope so. I hate Conics more than anything. The locus type questions are so annoying.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
you'd have to do the mx2 hsc exam next year so it would take a year.

So it'd take a year for my UAI to be recalculated?
REALLY? IS THIS TRUE?
If it is then 4u after high school is pretty useless then.. I should just study whatever maths i like
yeah to all of this. how else are they supposed to assess you if you don't do the hsc exam?

studentcheese

HSC
-Because I like maths.
-To possibly increase my UAI.
-Be on equal ground at uni to all the people who have done ext.2 maths. Engineering is a very maths-based discipline, and without good math you're at a disadvantage

These are decent reasons, right? Im not wasting my time doing maths ext.2, right?
Yeah, I'm supporting you all for it! Maths calms me down and makes me happy whenever I am depressed. :D

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
That's too bad then... Someone who got like 30% in a 2U series exam got accepted into Ext 2 at my school :|
really? wow. we didn't really have to ask to be accepted. i dunno though. i just put it down on my subject choice form and noone asked questions lol.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Yeah, I'm supporting you all for it! Maths calms me down and makes me happy whenever I am depressed. :D
yeah but she has to wait another year to get into uni if she's doing it to improve her uai, did you read the thread at all?

cause everyone's for her further study in maths, but this way seems futile and pointless.

*sinophile, i'm not trying to pay you out or be mean, i just don't understand your reasoning because it would be a massive effort for very little gain when you could just go to uni and do it all in the first semester.

if you're worried about being behind, teach it to yourself by getting a cambridge or something textbook and learn the content out of that.

azureus88

HSC
You could even start some of it now, since some of the 4u stuff will help you in 3u, like integration and polynomials. As for the other topics, you could learn them during the period between hsc and uni. I'm pretty sure you'll be set for uni after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)