Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its military. (3 Viewers)

discuss

• This is OTT. No one is out to get us.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great idea. We live in a dangerous world.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Re: Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its militar

If they can't get here without interception why throw seventy billion at the... was about to call it a problem for a moment, but clearly there is no problem to throw money at!
lol.
Just a guess, but there's probably no problem now because previous government have thrown truckloads of money at the ADF.
Just a guess though.

Lentern

HSC
Re: Australia is to announce $73bn in defence spending aimed at equipping its militar

lol.
Just a guess, but there's probably no problem now because previous government have thrown truckloads of money at the ADF.
Just a guess though.
No that's not possible the previous government believed in the free market, letting the people decide what to do with their money, they wouldn't have spent anymore than what they absolutely needed to. Would they?

Lentern

HSC

do you suck dicks for crack often lentern
When you build up weaponry either it becomes a total waste of money, or far worse it will get used.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

No that's not possible the previous government believed in the free market, letting the people decide what to do with their money, they wouldn't have spent anymore than what they absolutely needed to. Would they?
Apologies, I meant to make that plural "previous governments".
But, to the best of my knowledge, the Liberal Party is far more militaristic and likely to announce something like than Labour is anyway.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC

How the fuck is someone going to bomb any significant part of australia without being intercepted?

The steyr is just fine for what is was designed for, and it's effective range is about the same as most other assault rifles. I agree in somewhere like the outback a designated marksman rifle chambered in .308 would be more effective.
Environmentally, the Styer would suck balls if we were to be attacked in out own back yard. Sand + moving parts= a nasty jam.

Yes its fine for what it was designed for, but with weapons being constantly upgraded to the extent where range, reliability and effectiveness are better then that of the Styer, wouldnt we want the our infantry to have the best weapons suited to our environment and the areas where we do peace keeping?

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC

This thread makes me want to play COD4

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

If they can't get here without interception why throw seventy billion at the... was about to call it a problem for a moment, but clearly there is no problem to throw money at!
That's what the missile frigates and fighter jets are for...

HSC

I seriously do not see any imminent threat to this nation coming from anyone in our region. People see China as the next global threat but keep in mind that China is now out largest trading partner and i doubt both nations are looking towards damaging such a relationship any time soon.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

I suggest we turn our armed forces personnel into suicide bombers.

E

Empyrean444

Sif abandonning cities would be a bad idea. Would probably prevent more damage that stupidly trying to defend them. If you invade a country with the goal of keeping it (which any invader would, thanks to our resources), you don't destroy the existing infrastructure just cos you can. You save as much of it as possible.
When I said a fortified base away from the mainland, I meant only for the Navy, Air Force and general HQ. The Army would still be on the mainland, slugging away, just the high-ranking CO's and their staff would be evacuated.
Yes, but abandoning the city would really only work within the spheres of the tactics and strategy. The cities (or the fringes) to begin with would be (probably) the main economic centres and (more likely) the primary place where arms/ammo etc are produced. Now I understand that these things could be produced in an away smaller base, but our capacity to do so would be severely limited, as would be our faculty for supplying our troops with them. Granted, if the enemy managed to severely penetrate our borders, then abandonment would probably be the 'best' option given the circumstance, but due to its disadvantageous nature, holing up in them or, better yet, an effectual preclusive/elastic d-in-d strategy would be preferable. Also think of the effort (material) required to move the millions of people out of the city, transport them to safety and give them new homes (not everyone or even a majority could fight as irregulars/reservist guerrillas). If we were to abandon em with little or no fight, think too of the difficulties in convincing the people to exodus the cities their homes (could lead to people staying and dying or withdrawing their support in mass numbers from the war effort - a state is unliekly to triumph in a prolonged war without public backing - think Clausewitz).

No I understood your withdrawal to a fortified base idea and think that it, or a similar strategy, would work well (depending on what other strategies it's combined with).

Last edited by a moderator:

ablle

HSC
N/A

When Krudd is appointed Supreme Chancellor Lentern will be the first against the wall.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC

Yes, but abandoning the city would really only work within the spheres of the tactics and strategy. The cities (or the fringes) to begin with would be (probably) the main economic centres and (more likely) the primary place where arms/ammo etc are produced. Now I understand that these things could be produced in an away smaller base, but our capacity to do so would be severely limited, as would be our faculty for supplying our troops with them. Granted, if the enemy managed to severely penetrate our borders, then abandonment would probably be the 'best' option given the circumstance, but due to its disadvantageous nature, holing up in them or, better yet, an effectual preclusive/elastic d-in-d strategy would be preferable. Also think of the effort (material) required to move the millions of people out of the city, transport them to safety and give them new homes (not everyone or even a majority could fight as irregulars/reservist guerrillas). If we were to abandon em with little or no fight, think too of the difficulties in convincing the people to exodus the cities their homes (could lead to people staying and dying or withdrawing their support in mass numbers from the war effort - a state is unliekly to triumph in a prolonged war without public backing - think Clausewitz).

No I understood your withdrawal to a fortified base idea and think that it, or a similar strategy, would work well (depending on what other strategies it's combined with).
I dont think australia has any major weapons development factory. So it wont limit us that much.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

I dont think australia has any major weapons development factory. So it wont limit us that much.
Yeah, our bases stockpile massive amounts of what we need, they could wage a war for years before needing resupply, we probably just buy our ammo and stuff from other countries anyway, so the only difference is they would be delivering to tasmania or whatever instead of sydney or wherever.

Uncle

Banned
HSC

I guess Australia loves to spend money on its military.
One day when vampires go on a bloodthirsty rampage we may run out of money on 12 new submarines when we should have purchased giant UV lights retrofitted on land vehicles which should cost significantly less.

lynton

HSC

Bout time we started doing something for ourselves instead on relying on bloody America or other countries. Why cant we be more independent and stand up as a nation and produce our own stuff. K-Rud is Barack's sheep to put it kindly, esp on maters regarding the carbon trading scheme. We should def stop Korea with their nuclear bombs :)

dickiie

Warm, wet and pink. Smells like fish too.
HSC

sif abandon the cities. Imagine ADF troops holding off cunts on George St., the city circle train stations and the CBD.

Oh noes, galaxy world is gone D=.:haha:

Lentern

HSC

ill take that as a yes
When his disciples saw what was going to happen they asked "Lord shall we strike with our swords" and one of them cut off the ear of a guard but Jesus said "enough of this, do you not know he who lives by the sword dies by the sword." He said that his father could if he had ever wanted summoned forth twelve legions of angels to defeat the enemies of god but doing so would have not fulfilled the prophecy. Are we not to following the example set by christ? I want nobody to draw a sword for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)