Women's Room at Macquarie uni (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
A lot of the people who are responding to this question are either supremely stupid, or ignorant, or both.
Yes, the women's room at MQ started up about two decades ago, and it was designed as a safe space for women to go to- for breastfeeding, for women with kids, for women to get contraception if need be etc.
In the past I have been one of the people running the women's room stall at o-week, and some of the questions people come up and ask are really quite stupid. One girl said it was "sexist" that there wasn't a "men's room". I asked her what men would do in it, and she looked at me blankly.
I am involved with the women's room, so I actually know that women DO bring their kids in there, DO breastfeed, DO use the space efficiently. And I know this because women have come and TOLD ME that they do.
As far as I know there is no other place on campus that has toys, soft couches, kids books etc. that are necessary for students who are also mothers and need a place to relax.
One of the major issues at the moment is that some girls think the room is just a place to sleep, and therefore make it hard for other women to conduct study groups and bring their kids in for a play.
I would say more but some of the responses on this thread are really *annoying* me so I'll leave it at that, hey?

Alvik

HSC
Someone left their tampons in the women's room :rolleyes:

ALLLICE

HSC
The women's room is not that flashy and could do with a bit of a re-vamp, and out of curiosity, do you feel oppressed by men in other places? If so, is it because of the way they behave/act or just because of their presence?
For clarification I was being ironic in my previous post >__>. I do not feel oppressed by men, etc.

Sorry to hannahxxx if I offended you.

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
yeh tbh not many people wer being srs, sorry if we offended you hannahxxx

Atlas

HSC
N/A
For clarification I was being ironic in my previous post >__>. I do not feel oppressed by men, etc.
Apologies :p - irony and sarcasm online doesn't always translate...

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
A lot of the people who are responding to this question are either supremely stupid, or ignorant, or both.
Yes, the women's room at MQ started up about two decades ago, and it was designed as a safe space for women to go to- for breastfeeding, for women with kids, for women to get contraception if need be etc.
In the past I have been one of the people running the women's room stall at o-week, and some of the questions people come up and ask are really quite stupid. One girl said it was "sexist" that there wasn't a "men's room". I asked her what men would do in it, and she looked at me blankly.
I am involved with the women's room, so I actually know that women DO bring their kids in there, DO breastfeed, DO use the space efficiently. And I know this because women have come and TOLD ME that they do.
As far as I know there is no other place on campus that has toys, soft couches, kids books etc. that are necessary for students who are also mothers and need a place to relax.
One of the major issues at the moment is that some girls think the room is just a place to sleep, and therefore make it hard for other women to conduct study groups and bring their kids in for a play.
I would say more but some of the responses on this thread are really *annoying* me so I'll leave it at that, hey?

Jennt

HSC
N/A
Nothing wrong with feeling annoyed sometimes. However I am quite happy to state that my opinion was a serious one.

As a female student, in my forties, with 3 children I am of the opinion that a "womens room" is an outdated concept and would be better replaced with a "parents room". In my family it is not assumed that parenting is a solely female responsibility, and when my husband was in charge of the kids he as taking his rightful turn and was not "babysitting" for me. I think that men in this position should have equal access to facilities aimed at parents with small children.

It might be worth considering that the general amusement shown towards this concept, in this thread may go someway towards proving that in our modern society this is considered "quaint"?

Regards, and happy to see some debate and "life" here.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think you raise a very good point Jennt, particularly with the increased amount of the older demographic which is now coming into uni (and something the uni itself seems to be targeting for the future) facilities to cater for a changing demographic would not be a bad move on the uni's part.

Perhaps write into whoever the elected student rep is, to at least raise this point in the council meetings.

HSC
N/A
I've been told that another aspect of the Women's Room is where women (with or without children) are able to pick up contraceptives + information on contraception/abortion etc. I'm not 100% sure whether this is still the case though.

I think the idea of a Parent's room is a really good one though. If this gets taken higher up, I would be interested to know whether the existing space 'becomes' the Parent room, or whether a Parent's and Women's only room are kept separate (eg some mothers may not want to breastfeed in a unisex area for personal/religious reasons).

Last edited:

hannahxxx

HSC
Nothing wrong with feeling annoyed sometimes. However I am quite happy to state that my opinion was a serious one.

As a female student, in my forties, with 3 children I am of the opinion that a "womens room" is an outdated concept and would be better replaced with a "parents room". In my family it is not assumed that parenting is a solely female responsibility, and when my husband was in charge of the kids he as taking his rightful turn and was not "babysitting" for me. I think that men in this position should have equal access to facilities aimed at parents with small children.

It might be worth considering that the general amusement shown towards this concept, in this thread may go someway towards proving that in our modern society this is considered "quaint"?

Regards, and happy to see some debate and "life" here.
Jannt I was certainly not annoyed by your comment, it was the other comments making fun of the room ( from people who had either not been in there, or who just didn't get why it is there) that I was responding too.
Honestly I agree with you on the need for a parents room. I think there should be one. But I also think that that should not mean the removal of the women's room. As I have said, I have heard from female students and mothers who actively say to me that they are glad it is a female-only space. You may not feel that way but others do.
There are heaps of clubs at MQ that get campus space that, you might argue, could be better used for more essential purposes ( like a parents room).

thommy

HSC
N/A
Okay, so it may have been invented for women who had to take care of their babies etc..., but still, isn't it kind of sexist, and discriminating against men?

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
i dont think many guys really care tbh, and if some men do have kids, im sure they can use it?? maybe haha

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Okay, so it may have been invented for women who had to take care of their babies etc..., but still, isn't it kind of sexist, and discriminating against men?
The room came about as a response to a society where women were discriminated against, and such actions as breast feeding, or other hygiene concepts could not be performed in public view without negative connotations.

I think that there are issues with it being 'exclusively' male, as some stories I have heard involve males being actively (and sometimes rudely) being told to go away. The original aim though, I think, was not for this, and is a matter with those running/in charge at the time, rather than a general thing.

As for its existence being a 'discriminatory' thing, that would presume that males are in someway not the status quo and that we were living in some sort of matriarchal society where male activities were not permissable in society, something which isn't the case.

mrbsting

HSC
I think the women's room is an excellent initiative.

It's pretty dodgy when you can't find a desk in the library to sit down and do a couple of hours of honest study.

iwannarock

HSC
i was so tired at uni on tuesday.

i have a 5 hour break.

i was this close to going to try and sleep in the womens room.

i mean once i was in bed with all the hair on my face they wouldnt know i was a guy.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
i was so tired at uni on tuesday.

i have a 5 hour break.

i was this close to going to try and sleep in the womens room.

i mean once i was in bed with all the hair on my face they wouldnt know i was a guy.
:haha: Try it! REALLY - I wonder whether they would notice and if they did would they be bound by politeness not to tell you off (commonly conditioned into women to be "polite" and that being "assertive" = bitch = bad = unfeminine = you will end up an old spinster whilst all other women live happy fulfilling family lives...)

iwannarock

HSC
:haha: Try it! REALLY - I wonder whether they would notice and if they did would they be bound by politeness not to tell you off (commonly conditioned into women to be "polite" and that being "assertive" = bitch = bad = unfeminine = you will end up an old spinster whilst all other women live happy fulfilling family lives...)
i would but im guessing people are at the door.

that'd be the hard part getting past them.

but once im in bed......they'd never know.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
i would but im guessing people are at the door.

that'd be the hard part getting past them.

but once im in bed......they'd never know.
:haha: I've been past there and I didn't notice any bouncers checking out whether you were female before they let you in...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)