If you're unemployed and on centrelink, can you apply for a credit card? (1 Viewer)

izzy88

HSC
banks (commonwealth especially) didn't seem to care that i had no income/job when they were hassling me to get a credit card in o-week- their response was 'we can set a really low limit'. so yes- i'm sure you can.

Peartie

HSC
yes you can apply

whether you get one or not is a different matter....it all depends on money in the bank, credit rating and credit limit - but centrelink gives you a regular income so you would be able to get some CCs....my opinion anyway...

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I applied for the "standard" Visa card with CBA two years ago, I was and still am living off youth allowance + very little money in the bank. They accepted and gave me a $2,500 limit initially. That has now been upped to $6,800, more than half of my annual income.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
get a visa debit card, this way you can enjoy the benefits with your own money

izzy88

HSC
I applied for the "standard" Visa card with CBA two years ago, I was and still am living off youth allowance + very little money in the bank. They accepted and gave me a $2,500 limit initially. That has now been upped to $6,800, more than half of my annual income.
i applied for a student credit card with commonwealth. I didn't have youth allowance (which realistically is at least a steady source of money)- i had a casual job which had earned me about 8grand in the entire year, no assets to speak of and i was given a $12,000 limit! :eek:

i have a strong suspicion someone missed a decimal point somewhere...i went and lowered it to 6,000- still way above what i could every really afford to pay back if i actually reached it. but i'm careful with money etc.

by the way, if anyone does apply for a credit card- make sure you read the contract they send out...the first one they sent me charged interest on purchases immediately despite applying for a student card (which has 55days interest free and no annual fees). The second one they then sent had 55 days interest free but an annual fee. And third time lucky, after showing them my student card for the fourth or fifth time finally came with the requirements of a student credit card...(well except for the ridiculously high limit)

Parabola

HSC
that's how people become bankrupt and have excuses not to pay their bills.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
of course you can... centrelink gives you something likeeee an income of lets say $15,000 a year, that's no different to working some shitty job.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
i applied for a student credit card with commonwealth. I didn't have youth allowance (which realistically is at least a steady source of money)- i had a casual job which had earned me about 8grand in the entire year, no assets to speak of and i was given a $12,000 limit! :eek:

i have a strong suspicion someone missed a decimal point somewhere...i went and lowered it to 6,000- still way above what i could every really afford to pay back if i actually reached it. but i'm careful with money etc.

by the way, if anyone does apply for a credit card- make sure you read the contract they send out...the first one they sent me charged interest on purchases immediately despite applying for a student card (which has 55days interest free and no annual fees). The second one they then sent had 55 days interest free but an annual fee. And third time lucky, after showing them my student card for the fourth or fifth time finally came with the requirements of a student credit card...(well except for the ridiculously high limit)
The standard one doesn't charge you a fee if you spend more than $1000 in a year on your CC anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)