shoulder press? GYM machines which stunt height growth? (2 Viewers)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
should growing teenagers avoid this machine?
i'd like to work on my back, and it seems the machine that works most of the back muscles is the shoulder press :(

I've been told the shoulder press may stunt height and i was wondering if this is true or not? (personal experience appreciated)

As a result i have not been using the shoulder press machine...(5 months of this)

so are there any machines or certain exercises to be avoided for growing teens?

i did shoulder shrugs the other day with a pair of dumbbells 2x24 ...(my friend forced me) :)

shoulder shrugs don't stunt height growth do they?

quik.

HSC
Lifting will not stunt your growth

If you want to work your back do chin/pullups + deadlifts + rows

dux&src

HSC
Lifting will not stunt your growth

If you want to work your back do chin/pullups + deadlifts + rows
yeap!
except i don't do deadlifts :(

quik.

HSC
The theory was that the increased hormone levels induced by exercise caused the epiphyseal plates of the bones (which are responsible for you growing) to close prematurely, at least that is one theory. Studies so far have not supported it though.

dux&src

HSC
The theory was that the increased hormone levels induced by exercise caused the epiphyseal plates of the bones (which are responsible for you growing) to close prematurely, at least that is one theory. Studies so far have not supported it though.
This theory can't be right could it?

exercise meaning gym workouts or sports?

quik.

HSC
Resistance training. Yes it is false as the answer to your OP is no.

dux&src

HSC
Resistance training. Yes it is false as the answer to your OP is no.
Oh, well that's good to hear. I'm growing and didn't want to stunt my potential height.

Actually it was aimed at generally 'bareing heavy loads'.

Do your squats, deadlifts, power cleans, bench press, overhead press, dips, pull ups or chin ups, rows and weighted crunches with correct form and you will have a long and safe weightlifting experience ahead of you.
Of the ones mentioned atm i do dips, pull ups, chin ups, rows :)
i want traps,lats pretty much the back muscles showing :)

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Bodybuilders like to say that gym in no way stunts height growth, but then you go to a music festival and there is a legion of 5"6' ripped dudes who would've started at 15-16 :p

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
for traps i do this: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6789/trapsv.jpg

i never really did traps stuff before, i start doing this and i get pretty noticable growth, just know that it really kills, so really push yourself!

start off with weights in hand, arms bent at around 90 degrees by your side, then slowly raise your arms until elbows are slightly above your shoulder (or as high as u can go), then slowly lower, then congrats, that was 1 rep.

do enough weight so that u can do about 3 sets of 8 reps, and that by ur 3rd set u cannot do anymore (like how i do it).

other more knowledgable ppl can verify the correct technique if mine's wrong, but this is how i do it.

quik.

HSC
Bodybuilders like to say that gym in no way stunts height growth, but then you go to a music festival and there is a legion of 5"6' ripped dudes who would've started at 15-16 :p
Short people go to the gym to!

dux&src

HSC
lol well even if my height is stunted by gym work it wouldn't matter too much :)
i'm taller than my mother by 5cm atm and that's good enough :) It's just that i have not reached my adult height yet :)
for traps i do this: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6789/trapsv.jpg

i never really did traps stuff before, i start doing this and i get pretty noticable growth, just know that it really kills, so really push yourself!

start off with weights in hand, arms bent at around 90 degrees by your side, then slowly raise your arms until elbows are slightly above your shoulder (or as high as u can go), then slowly lower, then congrats, that was 1 rep.

do enough weight so that u can do about 3 sets of 8 reps, and that by ur 3rd set u cannot do anymore (like how i do it).

other more knowledgable ppl can verify the correct technique if mine's wrong, but this is how i do it.
Oh yeah i was introduced to something similar last week :)
Very much kills :)
3x8 ???
that's a lot of reps :lol:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
oh shuddup 6" :p

plus 3x8 isnt heaps of reps, using a low rep (like 8) will promote more muscle growth, so make sure u use an appropriate weight.

dux&src

HSC
oh shuddup 6" :p

plus 3x8 isnt heaps of reps, using a low rep (like 8) will promote more muscle growth, so make sure u use an appropriate weight.
i'm not 6" :p :)
get it right omie :) heheehe :ninja:

yeah 3x8 does make sense when you put it that way :)
yeap it better kill when i try this on monday :):jedi:

dux&src

HSC
It'll kill. Guaranteed.
I want traps! gimme lats and traps :)
shoulder press works the back well :) but since it won't stunt my height, i will probably start using this machine :)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
do what i said and you'll get traps guaranteed.

also maybe do vertical barbell raises, where u stand up, back straight, slowly raise barbell to your chin, then slowly bring it down, similar amount of reps x sets as the other one i mentioned.

i used to do them, but i dont anymore because i get a funny click in my left shoulder joint whenever i raised it, at first i ignored it, then it started to hurt, so i immediately stopped.
unforutnately my mum gets shoulder problems, and its probably hereditary too, so i should watch out for that, but u should be fine with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)