shoulder press? GYM machines which stunt height growth? (1 Viewer)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
for traps i do this: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6789/trapsv.jpg

i never really did traps stuff before, i start doing this and i get pretty noticable growth, just know that it really kills, so really push yourself!

start off with weights in hand, arms bent at around 90 degrees by your side, then slowly raise your arms until elbows are slightly above your shoulder (or as high as u can go), then slowly lower, then congrats, that was 1 rep.

do enough weight so that u can do about 3 sets of 8 reps, and that by ur 3rd set u cannot do anymore (like how i do it).

other more knowledgable ppl can verify the correct technique if mine's wrong, but this is how i do it.
true. that is also a good one to work the deltoids.

another good one for traps is the DB rear delt raise.

its basically the same as lateral raises with DBs except you are leaning forwards while sitting on a bench. you want your back to be nearly horizontal, and not to move it when you're doing the raise.

what gym do you go to by the way omie jay?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
the one in my back yard, lol.

consists of the following:

1 x plain bench, non-inclinable, with a thingo to rest a barbell on
1 x barbell
2 x dumbells
4 x 5kg weights
6 x 2.5kg weights
4 x 1.25kg weighs

its not much, i know, which is why i'll think of going to the local gym at loftus tafe once a week these uni holidays.

i did weights for school sport from halfway thru year 10 till half way thru year 12 (when wednesday sports stopped), then i went to miranda fitness first with a friend on wednesday arvo's.

just finished today's weights, my arms are shaking as i type :eek:

TBK11

HSC
should growing teenagers avoid this machine?
i'd like to work on my back, and it seems the machine that works most of the back muscles is the shoulder press

I've been told the shoulder press may stunt height and i was wondering if this is true or not? (personal experience appreciated)

As a result i have not been using the shoulder press machine...(5 months of this)

so are there any machines or certain exercises to be avoided for growing teens?

i did shoulder shrugs the other day with a pair of dumbbells 2x24 ...(my friend forced me)

shoulder shrugs don't stunt height growth do they?
haha stunt your growth i dont no how many times ive herd that, you cant really stunt your growth unless your a total noob at the gym and have the wrong form, squats is the only thing im aware of that can stunt your growth "if" you have the wrong form.

Also keep in mind "Free Weights" are better than cable weights, but the best workout for shoulders is Seated Shoulder Press followed my military press :D

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
do what i said and you'll get traps guaranteed.

also maybe do vertical barbell raises, where u stand up, back straight, slowly raise barbell to your chin, then slowly bring it down, similar amount of reps x sets as the other one i mentioned.

i used to do them, but i dont anymore because i get a funny click in my left shoulder joint whenever i raised it, at first i ignored it, then it started to hurt, so i immediately stopped.
unforutnately my mum gets shoulder problems, and its probably hereditary too, so i should watch out for that, but u should be fine with it.
VERTICAL BARBELL RAISES got it :)
Lol i just repeated that so i won't forget what they are called :)

true. that is also a good one to work the deltoids.

another good one for traps is the DB rear delt raise.

its basically the same as lateral raises with DBs except you are leaning forwards while sitting on a bench. you want your back to be nearly horizontal, and not to move it when you're doing the raise.

what gym do you go to by the way omie jay?
Dumbbell rear delt raise :) aye?
haha stunt your growth i dont no how many times ive herd that, you cant really stunt your growth unless your a total noob at the gym and have the wrong form, squats is the only thing im aware of that can stunt your growth "if" you have the wrong form.

Also keep in mind "Free Weights" are better than cable weights, but the best workout for shoulders is Seated Shoulder Press followed my military press :D
Haha yeah, people say this. Not that it matters for me seeing how i'm already at a decent height.

i don't do squats :)

YESSS the SEATED SHOULDER PRESS is the machine i was referring to.
I noticed the diagram on the label showing all the muscles being worked and most of it was pretty much all the back muscles :)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Bodybuilders like to say that gym in no way stunts height growth, but then you go to a music festival and there is a legion of 5"6' ripped dudes who would've started at 15-16 :p
Correlation does not equal causation. Other possible causes for ripped short dudes:
- Short people more likely to work out to compensate for their height
- Short people have some mechanical advantages (shorter levers) which makes weightlifting easier and therefore they may be encouraged and stick with it

Personally I'm tipping compensating.

@OP:

Do barbell shoulder press, dips, pushups, rows, pullups, chin ups, and other compound exercises

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Correlation does not equal causation. Other possible causes for ripped short dudes:
- Short people more likely to work out to compensate for their height
- Short people have some mechanical advantages (shorter levers) which makes weightlifting easier and therefore they may be encouraged and stick with it

Personally I'm tipping compensating.

@OP:

Do barbell shoulder press, dips, pushups, rows, pullups, chin ups, and other compound exercises
+1. Small guys almost always push more weight.

Don't do MAX deadlifts / squats and don't ever use the smith machine. Other than that, most stuff is fine. Freeweight movements with light/appropriate weights are better on your joints than machines.

Last edited:

jawaad

HSC
lat pull downs.

i have no idea why you think shoulder press helps out the back..
especially if it's a 'V shape' that you're seeking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)