The grassy parking area near Canara Place (1 Viewer)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Does anyone know why council closed this off? Like was there a murder/rape or some shit down there one night... or grumpy old residents complained? idk

anyway, i just sent the council this in annoyance (tried to park there at 12 today)

[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]I would just like to know what justification the council can give for closing off the large grassy area next to Canara Place and University Drive, just outside Newcastle Uni, which provided approximately 2-300 parking spaces for university students during semester.

One would presume that one of the council's responsibilities is to minimise issues of parking/transportation, not deliberately make them worse for no apparent reason.

As you would be aware, the University lets in increasingly large numbers of new students every year (hence the graduating cohort is also the smallest) whilst providing no additional parking, meaning the situation will get worse every year in future.

Importantly, the space is not directly adjacent to anyone's property, plus the local residents don't own the land and should just buy it if it bothers them that much... surely from a utilitarian perspective, roughly 300 people (who can park there) benefit more than roughly 4 (number of properties bordering the area)... assuming residents' complaints were the issue. Also, semester is only ~26 weeks/year anyway.

If the safety of the pedestrian path in the area is the issue, surely it could be fenced off more cheaply than providing additional bus services for the same number of people. Additionally, surely any individuals parking there would have been aware they were doing so at their own risk, and a sign stating as much would cover most possible litigation resulting from any theft/accidents.

I understand that young people's concerns are largely irrelevant to governments as we are the smallest demographic by raw numbers, but consider that congestion and transportation in this issue will only get worse in future.

Regards
Will Shakespear

[/FONT]
[FONT=PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif]Not that it achieves anything, just to be a smartass I guess.
[/FONT]

~untitled~

HSC
doesent the uni own that land?

I also noticed this on Monday and I think its possible that maybe theyre turning it into a proper uni car park, and i assume will charge people to park there. Or, at least it sounds like a plausable explanation imo.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
It has been pretty easy so far, I ended up getting one in P2 afterall. But still.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It has been pretty easy so far, I ended up getting one in P2 afterall. But still.
First week is always easy, there's no labs/tuts and a lot of people would skip the first lectures where they just read through the outline.

I seriously dont see them pulling their fingers out and doing something about the parking any time soon. I'm happy with my current system: get there earlier and do some work.

~untitled~

HSC
No, it wouldnt be about "fixing the situation" it would be about all the people who park there for free. By making it a proper parking lot the people who used to park there for free (because they didnt need a permit) will then have to buy a parking pass, hence making money for the university.

It doesent seem like such an unviable option to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)