• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

No school, no job, no worries, say kids (1 Viewer)

Tangent

HSC
They are still kids, thats whats wrong. They still think the world is for them, but really its the world that owns them. -this they need to discover, and it sounds like they are going to discover it the hard way. Parents, congrats, bang up job on parenting.
I'd have to say that these are minority cases though, it is hard finding a job, but you dont turn down work because you "don't like it." My sister came up to me at recess and asked me for some food, because she forgot to pack her lunch this morning. I said i have vegemite sandwiches, a yoghurt, a pear and a banana. She said she doesn't like fruit, doesnt like yoghurt and doesnt like butter on sandwiches (it was bloody marg. and it doesnt have any taste at all!!). However she kept whinging for the next five minutes, hoping i was going to pull a roast outta no where.... eventually i gav in and gave her 2 dollars... hypocrite i know, im just as bad as those parents. Cheeky little brat.

yer8899

HSC
Hey, let's give Omie a break shall we? I worked 9-5 on Saturdays at a pharmacy an hour's commute away (yes, I was desperate to get some experience somewhere and it wasn't in a bad area either) with about 25 contact hours from October 2007 to June 2008, and it was simply too tiring. I wouldn't say the toll directly contributed to my failing a subject in semester 1 2008, but it did have a toll on my energy and motivation levels and that cannot be a good thing for anyone.

Now, I have far less hours and a day off, but I'm really relishing the time off. I know that, even if it weren't for the fact that if I don't take a break now I won't get one for another 1.5 years, I would still treasure the time off.

I'm worried about these kids. No school, and no job? What do they do? I get so bored out of my mind in uni holidays, and that's only for a few months of the year. I can't imagine living such an empty and unproductive life for years on end!
these two statements clash

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah but no guyz i still agree that australia is the best country in the world lol

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I do not understand what is wrong with spending your days studying skating.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Tangent

HSC
just because you're at uni doesn't mean you're working REALLY HARD. from the stories ive heard he is bombing out

btw that's not what fixed means you dense cunt
So? It's still uni. Its better than doing absolutely nothing. And you dont have to be working really hard, just hardly working is still working.

when he bombs out he'll get a job (hopefully)

and fixed has many dictionary definitions.

dense cunt? does that mean im hard to penetrate?

yer8899

HSC
So? It's still uni. Its better than doing absolutely nothing. And you dont have to be working really hard, just hardly working is still working.

when he bombs out he'll get a job (hopefully)

and fixed has many dictionary definitions.

dense cunt? does that mean im hard to penetrate?
your logic is impeccable. so you're saying that it is alright to be unproductive at uni, wasting time and money on failing/barely scraping through, as opposed to getting a job. that is close to if not worse than doing absolutely nothing. and i got nfi what the bolded bit has to do with anything. wtf is going on in your brain?

and no it means you're retarded

EDIT: @ B.C refer to above. and no i dont have a grudge against omie, i just dont particularly like his excuse for not having a job.

Last edited:

Tangent

HSC
your logic is impeccable. so you're saying that it is alright to be unproductive at uni, wasting time and money on failing/barely scraping through, as opposed to getting a job. that is close to if not worse than doing absolutely nothing. and i got nfi what the bolded bit has to do with anything. wtf is going on in your brain?

EDIT: @ B.C refer to above. and no i dont have a grudge against omie, i just dont particularly like his excuse for not having a job.
something is better than nothing. I dont support not working, but obviously he is otherwise he wouldnt still be at uni. Atleast you are still contributing to society, trying to educate yourself more to get a job later on.

as for whats going on in my brain, u, nor anyone else wants to know :bomb:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
exactly how many contact hours do you have a week omie?
i find it hard to believe that you couldn't fit a job into your busy schedule.
i am sure your parents, who you have previously described as difficult and strict, would cut you so much slack if you were to get out and make something of yourself.
I manage full-time uni and full-time work. And it's worth noting that I work an average of 40+ hours and it can spike to 70+

But more important is the issue at hand: chronic youth unemployment.

- People even youth have costs (food, shelter, skateboards, etc)
- Costs can be met in three ways; employment, welfare and support from parents/families/charities

In this was we know they are not working so must be receiving welfare or parental/etc support. If on welfare they would be receiving Youth Allowance or Newstart, these payments attract a 'mutual obligation' and they have to look for work, do training, work experience, work for the dole, green corps, etc.

The kids in question don't seem to be doing this which means they are most likely receiving support from their parents. Whose problem is this to solve and how can/should we solve it?

On the one hand it is the parents problem because they are the ones footing the bill, on the other hand it is societies problem because these kids will become the Very Long Term Unemployed (VLTU). VLTUs are difficult to place into sustainable employment and present a long-term welfare burden.

Part of the role of parents is to raise productive members of society. These parents have failed and are continuing to fail. However we can not address this root problem. Parents are free to spend their income as they see fit, the state can not and should not interfere with this.

We should therefore address the problem as close to the origin as possible to nip it in the bud. Break the cycle of unemployment before it begins. Schools need to pass on a belief in the nobility of work and youth need to be productively engaged.

But how about some actual policy ideas:
- Compulsory thirty hours per week of education/training and employment up until end of yr 12. To be used in any combination.
- This means that students can only drop out or reduce their course load if they simultaneously agree to undertake other training or employment, e.g. drop out and go to TAFE, or start an apprenticeship, etc whatever the student wants - as long as they stay productively engaged
- Encourage this engagement by subsidising education/training/employment over thirty hours per week

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The problem isn't the kids.

The problem is the system. The kids have nothing to apologize for. Abolish unemployment. It is every citizen's right and duty to exploit the system and manipulate within the rules as far as you can get away with it.

People should be free to be unproductive, without parental or systemic pressure. Individuals not wanting to contribute to society is not a problem. They should be free to do so without parental, social or systemic pressure. The problem is that society is set up to support them, to the detriment of others.

They have no moral responsibility to contribute. If their parents are happy to support them at this point, that is fine. If they are happy to support their children for doing nothing, that is their problem, their children are not at all at fault.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Fuck it.

If their parents are happy enough to, and financially able to fund their useless brats, and if they're not impacting on us in anyway, let them.

They're only setting themselves back, but whatever.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The problem isn't the kids.

The problem is the system. The kids have nothing to apologize for. Abolish unemployment. It is every citizen's right and duty to exploit the system and manipulate within the rules as far as you can get away with it.

People should be free to be unproductive, without parental or systemic pressure. Individuals not wanting to contribute to society is not a problem. They should be free to do so without parental, social or systemic pressure. The problem is that society is set up to support them, to the detriment of others.

They have no moral responsibility to contribute. If their parents are happy to support them at this point, that is fine. If they are happy to support their children for doing nothing, that is their problem, their children are not at all at fault.
If they have no responsibility to contribute then society has no responsibility to pay them welfare. In fact if anyone wants to live a life free of mutual obligation and the mire of centrelink then they can choose to do so - the unemployed don't have to apply for newstart. If people want to be free from work and associated responsibility then they can - just don't expect support.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If they have no responsibility to contribute then society has no responsibility to pay them welfare.
I totally agree. Society has no responsibility. Yet it leaves itself wide open to be cheated, begging to be robbed. If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street and the cats come and eat it... whose fault is it, the cats or the uncovered meat?

Unfortunately society foolishly sets itself up to be exploited. More power to the leechers.

Undermining and exploiting the welfare system exposes how much of a joke it is, causing rightful public contempt for the idea of welfare and furthering the cause of libertopia. I encourage all libertarians to become welfare cheats, hastening the collapse of the looters economy.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street and the cats come and eat it... whose fault is it, the cats or the uncovered meat?

Richard, I am the father you never knew.

anom1ly

HSC
This reminds me of starship troopers a little bit. If we ever get attacked by giant bugs, then since these people don't have anything important to be doing, they can serve in the infantry, while the rest of us are doing something cool, like flying the ships, or wearing a mad trench coat like Neil Patrick Harris. And that girl won't have to complain about not being able to see her boyfriend, they can fight together.

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A

no you just dont like omie man lol admit it

he is doing engineering full time at uni, not many people doing that have jobs.

it is irrelevant that he is bombing out, he could still be working hard.

your logic is impeccible.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
When I said this reminds me of Frontline, this reminds me of Frontline. They did everything in the timeline up until the interview with the PM, from the waking up at 12pm to the offering and rejecting a job on the island. Season 3, episode 7, "The Simple Life".

The blurb: Meanwhile, Brooke is busy playing up community outrage over her story on a family of unemployed teenagers. Frontline's audience hate these kids and perceived them to be all lazy dole bludgers. "So do we fix the perception?" asks Emma. "No", replies Prowsey. "We feed it...".
All of which proves that Frontline is still as bitingly accurate today as it was ten years ago.

yer8899

HSC
no you just dont like omie man lol admit it

he is doing engineering full time at uni, not many people doing that have jobs.

it is irrelevant that he is bombing out, he could still be working hard.

your logic is impeccible.
well im assuming engineering at unsw had a reasonable UAI cut-off which means that a. he is intelligent and b. he is capable of studying his ass off. and yes, even though hsc subjects are considerably easier than uni subjects, if you had nothing else going on in your life except uni and pumping weights every sunday then you would be able to get some decent marks, which leads me to believe he is not working hard

*impeccable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)