Why are sciences and mathematics scaled so well? (1 Viewer)

georgefren

HSC
haha the "anomalous stuff" is just people bitching about getting a shit mark for a shit piece of work they thought was good. As long as my 2 and 3 unit englishes score above 95 and 48, as im pretty sure they will, it shouhld be a scaled 50. dp, its a sure 50, ok?

dp624

HSC
georgefren said:
haha the "anomalous stuff" is just people bitching about getting a shit mark for a shit piece of work they thought was good. As long as my 2 and 3 unit englishes score above 95 and 48, as im pretty sure they will, it shouhld be a scaled 50. dp, its a sure 50, ok?
nah i'll betcha a whole load of money that it won't be a scaled 50.000 - that's reserved for like 1st in state only.

but we'll let others settle this

Last edited:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lionking1191 said:
its good to give 100% in whatever you do. if everyone was like that the world would be a much nicer place.

but the original focus of the argument is that people are endowed with differing types and degrees of talent, and the degree of effort that one needs to input to reach their respective goals too often vary dramatically.
"but the original focus of the argument is that people are endowed with differing types and degrees of talent, and the degree of effort that one needs to input to reach their respective goals too often vary dramatically."

which kind of nullifies the point of debate. we're all wonderful unique snowflakes. you get what YOU personally can put in.

Last edited:

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
Lol. Now you are coming up with a stereotype.

No, Sciences are NOT harder because at least you cannot make "bullshit" on your exams like in subjects like Ancient History.

lol if u think u can ' bullshit ' through ancient i dontt think ur aware of what the course requires. Doing all humanties subjects i can honestly tell u if i ' bulshitted' through my exams i would not be getting anything more than a pass, if that, and a pass in ancient is pretty much equivalent to a fail considering how poorly its scaled.

i do religion, legal,ancient and society and i cant bullshit through any of them. the questions are very specific and to get full marks or near about u need a very good understanding of the syllabus. anyone that tells u any less is either not doing well in the subject or has not done the subject.

i know i sound like a know it all in my post, but honestly it really bothers me when people down play humanities. yes science and maths are much harder to grasp but all my friends do science and maths they had like one assignmnt in physics and 2 in chem ( none in maths ) where as i had about 20 assignmnts all year ( slight exaggeration, clearly i didnt keep count lol, but a very high amount)

it might not require as much skills, but humanities have just as much to study for if u ask me. please dont down play it. i work very hard to get my marks lol. when people speak of it that way i just feel dumb because supposedly its ' so easy ' to get marks in.

btw; i apologise if ur comment was sarcastic, i seriously cant tell, but a few posts here imply humanities are easy and i just wanted to put this out there lol. :)

Last edited:

ptrgrgry

HSC
These subjects scale higher than all three sciences (ie. Physics, Chemistry, Biology):

French Continuers (along with many other languages), History Extension, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Music 2, English (Advanced).

Economics scales higher than physics.

Modern History and Studies of Religion scale higher than biology.

The Sciences don't scale exceptionally well, at least not enough to justify the rancour created by its perceieved scaling in this hideous thread!

ptrgrgry

HSC
this, where did u hear economics>physics go slap them XD
Actually, yes it does. Economics is a fatty... good scaling.

They scaled the same in 2001 and since then economics has always scaled higher!

Chemistry > Economics >> Physics

"In terms of scaling, HSC physics has always scaled quite decently. Traditionally and in recent years, physics has had a scaled mean of about 29/50, meaning it scales slightly under HSC Chemistry, English Advanced and Economics. However physics has always scaled significantly better than biology, which is convenient since HSC Physics and Chemistry has always had a synergy about them. "

Published in March 2009.

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
lol that website isnt reliable, however ill take another look at the scaling reports, form the looks of that report, the author of that articlew doenst know wtf he talking about

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
right, ur sauce for scaling doesn't come from uac?

jahahahah clueless kid

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
from what i remember chemistry>economics>physics, but we are talking marginally (like out of the 50.0 they give it out of, about 0.1 difference, nothing much)

shady145

Banned
HSC
from what i remember chemistry>economics>physics, but we are talking marginally (like out of the 50.0 they give it out of, about 0.1 difference, nothing much)
if u put 90 in for all 3 in SAM it goes phys>chem>eco

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Matrix is a slightly better calculator in my eyes. Simply because it offers the correlation between percentage, HSC mark and scaled mark :D

And yes, Physics>Chem in terms of scaling but I reckon Chem>Physics in aligning! (clearly I prefer chemistry here :p)

Freakstyler09

HSC
Not really. It's cos the cohorts for them perform better. 'dumber' people take humanities, while 'smarter' people take sciences and maths. of course the terms are vague and stupid.
That's bullshit Huamanities can get very technical as well for example take a look at Economics and if you say that humanities is for dumber people. Why don't the science students take up humanities courses, so that they could beat the so called "dumber people" and thus get a higher score, because after all you did say humanity students are dumber. Also there's another thing I want to put to you, why do most of the Science students I see and there's alot of them now, go on to university to do humanity subjects anyways i.e. Law. THINK ABOUT THAT MATE! :)

random-1005

Banned
HSC
That's bullshit Huamanities can get very technical as well for example take a look at Economics and if you say that humanities is for dumber people. Why don't the science students take up humanities courses, so that they could beat the so called "dumber people" and thus get a higher score, because after all you did say humanity students are dumber. Also there's another thing I want to put to you, why do most of the Science students I see and there's alot of them now, go on to university to do humanity subjects anyways i.e. Law. THINK ABOUT THAT MATE! :)

That is because there are many more job opportunities in humanities than in science, and generally the humanities jobs pay higher.

However, i do think that science is much easier than eco and legal, but this is because im not very good at writing long responses, whereas science it is straight to the point.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, the asian maths gang, always the same people in the scaling threads (anna,namu etc.)
all this thread needs is namu and then its complete.

is it just some coincidence that all these scaling threads attract the 4 unit asians?
No, it's because it's a popular thread.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I do and am XD

And that's not what he's trying to say. He's saying that humanities subjects scale worse than science subjects because the students doing the science subjects generally get higher marks when compared to humanities students doing the same subject. This is what scaling is based on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)